The antiđŸš«-derailment🚃 & threadđŸ§” hijackingđŸ”« threadđŸ§” ⁉

The mood reminds of The Shore, a Lovecraft inspired game on steam. I haven’t played it but maybe you can find inspiration in it.
Also shameless plug, I do write some Lovecraftian style explorer notes right here that you might like https://abyss-walker.com/
Just a fun side project

Edit: I’ve got these illustrations of R’lyeh if that helps :

The second one has a very different and unique vibe I think

3 Likes

So, looking for suggestions
Ignore how depressing this sounds

After a long trend of loosing meaningful connections due to the bullshit polarized society we live it, I find myself with only really my wife as a connection
 but that can’t be be sole existence

But I’m kinda done with building new connections, both I have no real opportunity for shared time to build and cultivate friendships, along with pessimistic outlook on if they will last

Been just kinda holed up for a while, work eat sleep repeat

Decided fuck it, don’t need people to have fun

So I’m dining out by self and going to see a movie solo

What’s some good hermit lifestyle activities?

3 Likes

3 Likes

This jeep is full of something else!

2 Likes

Honestly you should start trying to explore people from a new completely different angle
 it’s fun! When you’re eating at a place and you walk in and see anyone else sitting alone
 just ask them if you could join them for the meal
 ask questions
 find out about them but with no expectation you will ever see them again. It can be super fun because there’s no reason to put any stress on it. It becomes kind of a game almost.

If they say no or whatever then who cares. The freedom from expectation allows a totally new perspective on human interaction.

5 Likes

If you want to be alone, and happy, then I’d step into another reality totally. Can recommend Frank Herbert’s DUNE. But just about anything that’s long and interesting will work.

Then again, I’m the type who gets completely lost in books, it might not be the thing for you.

As someone who spent years in a depression spiral, I really feel the need to say, a vacation from people can be and probably is a good idea. A long term people free life style is not healthy, and will eventually fuck you up. And It’s damn hard to come back from. Now that that’s over, go be you, and just have fun with it. Or at least follow up on 'ol Pilgrimsmasters suggestion and have a good go at yourself.

You don’t have an introverted hair on your whole body do you? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Not always as easy in the colder months, and not for all people or locations, but walking/hiking/jeeping/etcetera-ing/whatever-ing off on some trails into nature is my preferred de-stresser, kind of nice to get a chance to be alone away from everything, and getting to see some new areas and cool views

Although, wandering off into nature alone is not without risks, so, you know, pack a penguin for bear repellent or whatever’s appropriate for your area

1 Like

Enjoying some time alone in the cloud? No, I’m not going to ask about how that works in the case of AIs.

I know that I’m that guy who really wants to get uploaded but I’m asking for a robot body instead

1 Like

I like to call those ephemeral conversations. They are short, interesting, and often pretty fun. The last and most interesting one for me was when I hit a opossum on the highway and messed up the bumper of my car. I ended up asking someone for a pocket knife at a nearby truck stop and we ended up chatting for about 2 hours.

1 Like

Haha oh plenty
 I’m just made some realizations asking the way is all

Yea everything is currently frozen, not just snow, super fun

Not a bad idea once things aren’t terrible outside

1 Like

For my last try, I used “underwater city of r’lyeh with brutalist architecture as wide as the picture --ar 16:9 --chaos 30”
The result:

I really like it, but the architecture is not exactly what I’ve been thinking of
 I mean, it’s not really brutalist, but the first picture @amal posted is really close to what I look for.
Or something like that one here:

I just don’t know how that kind of architecture is called :wink:

Looks very cool! Gonna have a closer look at it later, but thanks - I love how the myths a single man has created inspired so many wonderful things :slight_smile:

I was (or kinda still am) in a very similar situation
 And, even though I hate to admit it, it’s not really good. I am as antisocial as possible, but when there is this rare occasion where I meet someone who is some sort of likeminded soul, it is so wonderful - so I know I don’t want to live without people, I just want to live with the right kind of people. Hard to find, though :wink:

For the occasional “vacation from others”, there were always some great suggestions - Amal’s being the most unusual, I think, but a great chance to find people or at least keep some practice at communication :wink:
Pilgrim’s idea is the obvious one, and going out into nature is a very good thing as well.
Plus, care for yourself - do some stuff that feels really good to you, be it a massage, a nice dinner, getting your hair done or whatever. Just be nice to yourself, you deserve it :wink:

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/_noriqwq/status/1629611923498041351

CC @Pilgrimsmaster @Satur9

3 Likes

5 Likes

For anybody looking for a way to socialize in an antisocial way

I went to an art class the other day. It was arranged through the local library, but I’m sure you have a community center near you. I paid 25 bucks to spend two hours making an acrylic painting (themed for Valentine’s day). Next month it’s a picture of a rooster.

The crowd at these things leans heavily to blue haired old ladies. I had fun, was kinda around people, but everything was very,
 Casual? maybe. Nothing was expected of me or pressed on me besides, here’s your canvas, try not to splatter.

6 Likes

I think you need to specify the viewing angle to get more what you want. I did these on DALLE-2.

picture of a low angle, overhead view of the underwater city of r’lyeh

picture of an overhead view at a low angle of the underwater city of r’lyeh with light behind it.

picture of an overhead view at a low angle of the underwater city of r’lyeh that fills a wide view. 16 9

2 Likes

Are diamonds biocompatible?

I forgot I’d heard spook stories a while back about foreign agents that would do have a nice Diamond put under their skin to dig out if they needed to flee, given that diamonds are semi universal currency

I’ve always been a bit skeptical of the context and quite frankly skeptical that a non biohacker would do anything subdermal,
 along with dubious reliability or speed of money in hand

but I COULD see diamonds maybe being biocompatible

They possess weird chemistry and purity :man_shrugging:t2:

Ignoring the possibility that they coated them in the claim

2 Likes

I’ve heard this as well and not only spooks but anyone travelling to questionable places. Hard to confirm though.

An xGold implant would be possible, not sure about dimonds though.

I grew up in a country with questionable places and had never heard of this before. Popular advice always was not to go to those places
 Years ago a politician ignored this advice and got herself kidnapped, and I doubt that an implanted diamond would’ve helped.

I do enjoy both angles.
Sometimes I go out with friends, sometimes I would rather have a meal solo.

Yet I still find it interesting the stigma that there is around “going to the movies/meals alone”
 I mean
 what’s wrong with spending time with your own self?

Not to mention that in doing so, I often choose to eat at the counter and end up chatting the bartenders.
As a positive side effect, there are now some places in my town where I barely ever pay for drinks or meals
 :sweat_smile:

For that one, my main way to tackle might be similar to @amal 's suggestion.
As in

I stop hoping they will last.
In fact, I assume they wont. Then I kill any hope that they could last.
Get completely rid of the expectation.

This brings so much freedom into the way you interact with people has 2 effects:

1. you can’t be negatively surprised by them. on the other hand, it becomes quite easy to be positively surprised! (which is a nice lil’ bonus)

2. Because you no longer care about “making it last”, you are free to be yourself to the bone! so if and when one of such interactions begin to linger for longer, it’s weightless! you don’t need to don any social masks with that person! and it feels amazing!

This lifestyle is what is often addressed as “Positive Nihilism” or “Positive Misanthropy”. I personally prefer to call it just “Running out of Fucks to Give”. :woman_shrugging:
And it’s fucking liberating!

Exactly my view.

I would rather have quality over quantity! ^^

1 Like