Car NFC Card Megathread

I am highly doubtful they would need something so risky.

Since the reader on the door is full RFID rather than a dumber/proprietary/third-party sort of key implementation, I imagine once the car is placed in service mode remotely the command and control cloud which connects the car to Tesla could also load or enable a service key based on its specific signature or even proxy unlock requests up to the c&c cloud for approval in a sort of 2FA type arrangement.

I see no reason why Tesla would need any kind of master key at all, just a way to enable a different key remotely or open up a set of keys signed by a specific upstream authority.

Hopefully I have the terminologies right here, I do understand the broad principles of key and certificate based authentication but it’s hard to communicate succinctly without saying the word key over and over till the point it loses meaning. :sweat_smile:

The key :crazy_face: is to remember we are not talking about keys (physical) :crazy_face:, rather we are talking about smart cards and distributed, key :crazy_face: based authentication. In fact Tesla is possibly operating one of the largest, modern key :crazy_face: distribution and authentication networks around.

2 Likes

No, there actually is. That’s what I’m saying. I can’t remember but I think someone found the UID in the code in the on board computer for the RFID stuff. It always looks for that particular UID.

2 Likes

eh what? seriously? like … elon has a master key to any tesla based on … a UID ?!

1 Like

It’s like the new golden ticket hunt, no purchase necessary

4 Likes

Ok. I am back to WTAF!!!

I suppose it would make hire cars a thing of the past…! But remember this is not new. The entire NYC police fleet (which in retirement seem to become taxi cabs), had the same key for ages (not sure if they still do). Although that was a cost thing on the key cylinders…. But still.

Oh it was more like most of the nation 1284x

1 Like

I guess that geofencing, service status from a database or menu option, and a speed limiter could be used to limit the abuse of a master key?

And I do hope that they’re using proper encryption instead of the UID…

1 Like

There’s no way… I don’t want to believe they’re that stupid

I would like to present, Exhibit A
human race

7 Likes

Rivian too is on the line… only issue is that is difficult obtaining a Rivian key card or Key band at the time.

Key_Band_Activiation_Guide.pdf (179.3 KB)

2 Likes

Have you scanned one with TagInfo to see the chip being used? etc.

1 Like

Unfortunately not… In Europe you need to have a special kind of driver’s license to drive a Rivian vehicle and this is the reason why here there are very few order for Rivian cars… it is easier find it in US but searching online it is difficult find one of it.

I’ve got a couple keys. They are desfire chips. We’ve already tried reaching out but the primary designers behind the system aren’t interested. It seems ridiculous to me to force a rivian customer to carry yet another single use wristband or wearable when a rivian key could be programmed onto an Apex ring and be used for payment and vehicle access and so many more things.

2 Likes

so Rivian aren’t as forward thinking as they portray themselves to be…disappointed but also not surprised

2 Likes

So the same thing as Ubiquiti UniFi… But I guess that most companies don’t think about selling to cyborgs.

I think in the Rivian case there are chances to convince them to add in their optionals offering a Rivian branded Apex bracelet/ring… the actual Rivian bracelet comes as standard, it is not an optional… probably they just don’t want that their Java applet could be managed by other wearable companies.

Well they are selling $0.30 cards for $150 so they should look at applet selling as a revenue stream. I even offered such a model. They are just set in their own myopic view like everyone.

1 Like

Rivian is kinda scary bad at things. They recalled HALF of their 2022 vehicles in one recall.

Scary that a single fastener could lead to the loss of an entire wheel… but I guess that’s what the axel nut is for on all cars… but those are typically staked so they can’t loosen… at least not completely. Anyway it’s annoying with regard to the key situation.

1 Like

I was sure key card and key band were standard device and not optionals… a replacement key card seems to cost 270$… out of any logic