Come on down to crazy Amal's flex-o-ramma-ramma!

Well, there’s something about that implant that puts me off. The aluminum foil thing probably, too much detached skin despite the cutout, too close to the joints. Sorry, I’ve had a long hard think and… I dunno, there’s something that doesn’t sit well with me.

So I tried something else. Amal, would you be able to make a FlexMT without the LF chip, possibly with a NTAG 21x chip instead of a M1k, and possibly with a blinky over the chip if it doesn’t kill performances like you said it does with the Bullseye?

Sort of like this:

w/o blinky

with blinky

That would be a 33mm diameter implant with a 14mm x 14mm area of detached skin at the worst point - above the chip - and only 6mm over the rest of the coil. It would be much more reasonable than the 41mm bullseye with the smaller center cutout.

Also, I made a FauxMT and tried it for fit: It works a lot better on the back of the hand and on the wrist, and easily stays clear of any joints:

So, doable you reckon?

The blinky can’t go over the chip. These chips are typical chinese COB package with a full metal backing which totally kills the led nail thing. I could make a custom flexMT with no blinky, no LF chip, and a center cutout though.

Okay I thought so. Doesn’t kill to ask though.
NTAG instead of M1k possible?

1 Like

Not likely… the antenna is totally tuned differently for these chinese magic chips and would not be possible to just swap out… if you found an ntag attached to a wire wound antenna like this is be happy to try working with it.

Okay I didn’t think so either.

So essentially I’d be ordering a very large FlexM1 :slight_smile: It’s tempting, as I’m not overly impressed with the range of the FlexM1 I’ve ordered but haven’t implanted yet.

Let me sleep on it before hitting the webshop.

In any case, thanks a lot for your help!

Amal, sorry to be such a bother. Still trying to decide…

On the centerless FlexNext, would rotating 2 of the blinkies 90 degrees and pushing the 3rd outward a bit to maximize the center cutout be an option? Would it hurt performances?

I’m thinking, what the hell, I should go with the big-ass version and see what happens. And for once, I’m almost wanting to go for some showmanship instead of sticking to the strictly functional. If the blinkies could be there with the biggest possible center cutout, I think that’ll push me over the edge…

By the way, send me the bill for the lengthy “customer fitting service” if you like :slight_smile:

No bother at all… measure twice, cut once… especially if it’s skin you’re cutting :wink:

No not really, but it will make it less flexible, like a 2x4 flipped up on it’s side instead of laying flat… though not that dramatic of a difference.

hah naa just the custom order is good enough. one thing to note though… i’m running out of basically every color of LED… i didn’t have that many to start so I’ve ordered a ton more, but they are going to take some time to get here. What color did you want again?

Yeah but you know… when you go for a bespoke suit and the tailor is ever so nice and polite, as they should be, but you detect that faint trace of annoyance on his face after you’ve been dithering for an hour on what cloths and colors to pick… :slight_smile:

Also, I have a feeling I’m turning this thread into my personal fitting session. Sorry you guys! But maybe this will be helpful to other people who have the same concerns I have.

Yeah okay. I expect it to be less flexible naturally.

Thanks for the video! I can see how it definitely would affect performances if you get the placement wrong.

Green would be good. If you have 3 left, can you set them aside? I’ll place my order when I arrive at work (right now I’m in my velomobile on the way - should be at my desk in 2 hours :slight_smile:)

Actually I never had green here… they are coming in the big order. Doing this order and shipping will probably take around a couple weeks or so.

Do you still have blue blinkies? I think those are the next brightest, and that’s a color I like too.

hey, apologies for interrupting the conversation, but this LED discussion made me wonder something.

is it possible to get an xSIID with a different LED color? Was hoping for purple lol

1 Like

Bear with me…

1 Like

Easy meow, don’t get too carried away

2 Likes

I’ll check but I don’t think so… I do have plenty of purple and yellow. Yellow and light blue (not “deep” blue) are the brightest for sure though.

i’ve requested DSruptive produce a purple SIID module we can use to make xSIID with but so far it’s not an option.

4 Likes

Okay lemme know what you have left when you know.

1 Like

Waiting for the first users, I still can’t decide on the placement…

Those blinkies give me ideas: since I’ll be implanting the “doNExT” [it’s not a regular flexNExT and it has a hole in the middle. So I may as well call it like that for clarity’s sake] where I would normally wear a watch, I’m thinking an inductor on the backside of my forearm to blink out the time or SMS messages in morse code. Or, if possible at all, a multi-coil configuration that’s somehow able to shape the EM field enough to “address” each of the blinkies separately.

Hmm… Now that would be the ultimate smartwatch :slight_smile: Also, that’ll provide hours of hacking fun.

So, do you know what colors you have left?

hoping for the best! Purple is my favorite color!

1 Like