Community-driven Biohacking Map

There has been some discussion of creating a map run by the community that includes installers (those that are DT partners and those that are not) as well as individual biohackers (especially those with Proxmarks!) and other points of interest. I had mentioned trying to put something together and, well, I started and have reached a point I think that it’s worth soliciting feedback on. It’s up at map.thunderblaster.io. Feel free to check it out and give me your thoughts.

It’s definitely pretty alpha and buggy, but I didn’t want to throw too much time at it if it wasn’t going to be useful or if I was going too far away from what others had envisioned. I imported the data points from the Dangerous Things map, but I did not import data from @Pilgrimsmaster 's great wiki on people who clone RFID or elsewhere.

There currently is not an ability to add events and there is also not an ability to edit an existing location. Those would both be on the roadmap (you know, assuming this endeavor is worthwhile). If needed in the meantime, we can delete a location and readd it with additional/updated information.

Discussion points:

• Are the problems that exist (finding non-partner installers, finding someone to clone RFID, etc) serious and widespread enough to require a solution?
  • Is this the best solution to such problems (as opposed to threads, wikis, etc in the DT forums or something else)?

If those are yeses...
  • As of now, anyone can create locations but only Vivokey users can delete them (once you’ve logged in, you’ll have a Delete button on each marker). My thinking is that there needs to be as little friction as possible to creating locations or else it won’t get enough use. Requiring Vivokey to delete may be entirely unnecessary, but it does protect against vandalism. If you see something that is inaccurate and don’t have a Vivokey, there’s nothing you can do about that. That’s not ideal.
  • Aside from allowing anyone to easily add information, it doesn’t fundamentally change the problem of possibly having outdated or inaccurate information. Thoughts?
  • How should events work? Some events are recurring/annual; should those be shown yearround? How should the specific dates and location (which may vary year-to-year) be handled? Should there be two types of events, recurring and one-off? Presumably after a one-off ends, it would drop from the map.
  • Any other types of location that might be helpful to mark? Any other services that might be useful to track?
  • This is currently running on a Raspberry Pi at my house, which is fairly reliable but it will absolutely go down if there’s a power outage or my home internet fails. This keeps it free which means it won’t hurt my wallet and I don’t have to solicit donations or anything. But if anyone has a better idea for hosting, I’m all ears.
7 Likes

Great work mate, I would have looked to do something like that if I had the skills you have, also an awesome use of the Vivokey

One question I had was

Is that request necessary or just part of the initial beta version?
OTHERWISE
Looks really promising and I think a one-stop-shop for all the points that have been raised is the way to go.
Maybe handled via Map layers.
Partners
Unofficial installers
proxmarks near me ( people may not want to share actual address but cities or pubs etc where they may be happy to meet up ?)
Events ( which could be given a validity and expiry date unless it is a reoccurring event etc)

I am also happy give you access to host on my Synology NAS which runs 24/7, or at least as a fail over…

Before you do too much more, I definitely think you should wait for @amal to see if it lines up with what he is planning, hopefully he is onboard and this will save him the time and one more thing he can remove from “his list” and focus on making us som more cool stuff :robot:
I have some more thoughts and suggestions but
I’ll wait until I’m back at a computer, and I’ll update this post.

Again great work, and I hope this gets legs

UPDATE AS PROMISED

too far away from what others had envisioned.

For what it is worth, it is very much along the similar lines as to what I was thinking, but didn’t have the skills to implement it.

I did not import data from @Pilgrimsmaster 's wiki

Mate, I have no issue, you are not “treading on my toes” I personally think your solution is better, and I would have done it your way if I knew how to.
I had considered a search function but I actually feel a map-based solution is the way to go ( It takes out spelling issues etc) simply zoom to your part of the world :earth_africa::earth_americas::earth_asia: and select the layer(s) you want to see and :boom: there’s your info!
That is, if you agree it is suitable and do-able.
Maybe overlay buttons to select layers?

There currently is not an ability to add events and there is also not an ability to edit an existing location. Those would both be on the roadmap

I think it is an important “layer”?, but like you say, not the priority at the moment.

If needed in the meantime, we can delete a location and readd it with additional/updated information.

readd??? I ass-u-me that is supposed to be “edit”
Also on “additional/updated information.” do you think a google map link/ hyperlink would be a good addition? or do you need to start getting google APIs etc???
I know it is simple enough to type it in or copy and paste address, but if you can make it smarter, then why not?

Discussion points:

Oops, does that mean that the points above were not up for discussion? :man_shrugging: :wink:

• Are the problems that exist (finding non-partner installers, finding someone to clone RFID, etc) serious and widespread enough to require a solution?

If it is a problem, then it is definitely a first-world problem, However, throughout the forum, there are plenty of examples of people talking about their nearest partner being 3 hrs away,8hrs away, in a neighboring country…

• Is this the best solution to such problems (as opposed to threads, wikis, etc in the DT forums or something else)?

One-stop shop!!!

1. Go looking for a partner
  2. Nearest is 3000km’s, in another country
  3. Jump back on the forum
  4. Trawl, search until you find a comment or 3 with places people have used in the past
    OR
    Go to @thunderblaster’s fantabulistic Bio-hacking map :+1:
  • As of now, anyone can create locations but only Vivokey users can delete them (once you’ve logged in, you’ll have a Delete button on each marker).

Definitely a workable idea, as proven by your demo

My thinking is that there needs to be as little friction as possible to creating locations or else it won’t get enough use.

Absolutely, AND you also wan’t it to be easy for partners to add/edit/ delete their information, but your “anybody add” solution manages this well, except delete ( I’ll touch on this below )

Requiring Vivokey to delete may be entirely unnecessary, but it does protect against vandalism.

This is from left field, and highly unlikely BUT you could have 2 installers in the same city and one installer hates the other, or wants all the business and if they have a Vivokey they could remove the other installer… again unlikely but food for thought! ( I’ll touch on this below )

If you see something that is inaccurate and don’t have a Vivokey, there’s nothing you can do about that. That’s not ideal.

They could just simply raise it in the forum ( hyperlink to a dedicated thread or PM Group ) and it could be attended to by a Vivokey owner, or a dedicated group??? just spitballing :bulb: But a dedicated group gives a little more control of deletions as mentioned above.
That is, if the person above is a DT Forum member.
If not, is there a way to create a notification / flag / alert that will link from your webpage to DT / Vivokey notification???

• Aside from allowing anyone to easily add information, it doesn’t fundamentally change the problem of possibly having outdated or inaccurate information. Thoughts?

Not easy, Maybe the onus could be put on the potential implantee, with a note saying something like!?!
All best efforts have been made to keep this information accurate, however, It is your responsibility to contact the partner to ensure… If you do find inaccurate information, please follow THIS link to report it ( as discussed above or similar )

Another idea, but, How easy / difficult would it be to send a notification ( email? ) to the partner etc. to acknowlede and reply/accept the information is correct after a period of inactivity eg 12 months;
This leads me to my next question, could you add maybe a star rating system, so when they get a star rating, it resets their 12 month countdown.

If a star rating system is possible, it could be used for non- approved partners etc, but for both, having a set of ratings:
Professionalism :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Price :star: :star: :star:
etc
Overall rating :star: :star: :star: :star:

(Price is subjective, but it also seems to vary immensley amongst installers)

• How should events work? Some events are recurring/annual; should those be shown year round?

I think so, again if you do an event layer, you can look around the map to find one. Maybe have it as a subtitle on the label

Hackfest

Annually - Mid June

Location changes, watch this space

Or similar ( I just made up that date)

How should the specific dates and location (which may vary year-to-year) be handled? Should there be two types of events, recurring and one-off?

Location and dates for an event that moves is Tricky, depending on if you know the next location, but you could leave the Pin on the map of the previous location with the note like I gave in the example above, until it can be updated ( By Vivokey holder or group-member )

Presumably after a one-off ends, it would drop from the map.

Agreed, I can’t see a reason to keep it? Too much clutter in my opinion, thats why I think the layers would be good.

professional body piercers
body modification partners
biohackers
:beginner: unoffical partner

:nerd_face: Proxmark

Event

• Any other types of location that might be helpful to mark? Any other services that might be useful to track?

I’m sure these will rise to the surface if this progress’, but there seems to be plenty of stuff to add already.
HOWEVER
Due to this thread about Laws on implanting around the world I did think about creating a Wiki for this, but again a map-based solution would suit this much better.
AGAIN, and sorry to harp on about it, but I could see this working if you could source the correct map for it ( country map ) but there are considerations, such as, In the USA it appears implantation laws can vary from state to state and I’m sure other examples

I can’t help with much, but, if this is of interest I could consolidate this information for you ( and / or put it into a wiki until you are ready for it

• This is currently running on a Raspberry Pi at my house, which is fairly reliable but it will absolutely go down if there’s a power outage or my home internet fails. This keeps it free which means it won’t hurt my wallet and I don’t have to solicit donations or anything. But if anyone has a better idea for hosting, I’m all ears

If DT is onboard, then maybe hosted on the same server as their Websites? or they could manage and give you access to maintain???

try and discourage and/or prevent anyone from being an asshole and doing anything malicious.

Would you run some form of backup system to roll back to in case of this?

One more thing, in the future will it be possible to have it mobile optimised for when browsing from mobile platform?
Just asking because, the info pop out stays tiny throughout zoom levels

SO
now that I have just thrown out all these things that may or may not be possible, I do apologize, but of course, I will help out wherever I can!

Anyway, I hope this is what you are after

1 Like

Just removed name and email from the Vivokey request so now people won’t be asked for those. Those aren’t needed for anything in particular and aren’t currently in use. I was originally thinking of logging when people add (just IP since that’s all I’d have) or delete (not sure what all to log, but something) to try and discourage and/or prevent anyone from being an asshole and doing anything malicious. I’m sensitive to people’s desire for privacy and am currently not logging anything at all.

1 Like

I was going to say why didn’t you just use a shared google map, but it is cool you can login with your vivokey. Worked perfect.
The map, not so much. I added myself, but it didn’t put the pushpin in the right spot and I don’t see a way to edit. Is that right? (Guess I should fully read the OP) Looks like it puts the pin in the center of the city name, instead of using the zip code which in my case is like a 30 mile difference.

1 Like

I have plenty of datacenter server space to host this if you want.

1 Like

FYI, I updated my Post above HERE

Your Vivokey hook for signing in is awesome; just being able to sign in to another, custom app that isn’t one of the two forums is seriously great to have.

I’d recommend allowing people to edit and delete their own listings, and tie it to their vivokey name (not email). You can provide a link to their public vivokey profile too, using some of the built in social features that comes with the Vivokey platform, and being able to know who posted and is contributing to the project. I’d really like to be able to edit listings I’ve made.

Maybe you could use a very basic forum, like Discourse (which ha a Vivokey plugin) for comments on individual listings. Then people could talk about their experiences, leave comments or updates on statuses, ask questions, etc.

I agree that a rating system for vendors would be really good. Some places carry stock and do implants locally, but they are not places I could ever recommend to people to go to, for reasons of safety, or price, or professionalism.

2 Likes

And what an update it is! hah. All excellent points/ideas.

Though KISS for now. Make it work well. Don’t need feature creep overwhelming you.

I’m curious what the page is built on. What is the back end? I’ve built similar maps (using google though)… so I’m curious. I might be able to help with programming if that is something you want.

2 Likes

My “guess” is image

an open-source JavaScript library

for mobile-friendly interactive maps
Leaflet link

1 Like

I’m recovering from my biggest biohack today - vasectomy. I still have to parse all the suggestions and thoughts before posting a longer reply, but just wanted to pop on and say it’s Vue/Leaflet (using the excellent Vue2Leaflet) on the frontend (Google made their maps API non-free-as-in-beer :frowning:) and the backend is Node/MySQL. I’m getting the forward geocoding (converting written address to latitude and longitude) from LocationIQ (also free-as-in-beer for the quantity of requests we’re looking at). The OAuth is being run by Passport.js using a Vivokey plugin I made. Definitely some of the fancier things (such as a full review system) would be hard to implement alone, so if you’re a Javascript person @turbo2ltr, I would absolutely take assistance. And if anyone is a designer or frontend/CSS wizard, I absolutely am not.

7 Likes

The google maps API still has a free level, but you do have to keep a card on file even if you stay in the free level. You can set up notifications to warn you if you are getting close to the free limit, and even then, I put the monthly spend limit at $1.

But it’s all moot, you have a great start with what you have.

I work with JS and mySql daily, but have not done anything in node. (i’d love to learn…) I too am not the best at front ends. I rely heavily on bootstrap for my projects.

Feel free to dm me.

2 Likes

@thunderblaster, this is Not very constructive, but are you changing your @thunderblaster to @thunderblanks ?

Hope you heal well from the “Biohack”

6 Likes

That is also the most useful biohack I have ever had. I’d rather shoot 1000 blanks than 1 live round any day.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reminder. Adding to todo list… lol

3 Likes

Take recovery seriously. Don’t walk around too much if you can help it… it really makes a difference.

Also, nice map :wink:

2 Likes

looks good, and I like that we can add points to the map. one function I think you need to implement is either a Notes field for people to add information to a point, or a downvote/report to admin for a point. example, i live in WA (edit: Western Australia, not Washington haha), and the two points there, 1 joel the installer, he is currently suspended all implants until the law is settled (long story, check bslice.com if curious) and 2 the enthusiast has a facebook page link that is long dead… so effectively these are outdated or defunct data points.

That is also the most useful biohack I have ever had. I’d rather shoot 1000 blanks than 1 live round any day.

I’ll second that. Best decision I ever made.

2 Likes

@thunderblaster
any progress on this?
Do you need a hand with anything?

2 Likes

Reworking this into something that will be great! However, I haven’t had as much time to really make as much progress as I wanted due to being busy at my day job.

4 Likes

This would be beneficial for people like me who get implants, but cannot really see a need for buying one. I would much rather throw $ to someone, than to buy one for one write and potentially mess it up.

p.s. the map doesn’t work for me.

1 Like