Concerns about xM1 and readers

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I understand it may be a tad long, but I want to make sure the chip will work before I put it in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:

I recently purchased an xM1 kit with the intention to get it installed and use it to with my workā€™s door access system. After receiving the kit and testing things out with the included field detector and diagnostic card, Iā€™m having a few doubts about whether the implant will even work.

Our office uses mostly AptiQ/Schlage MT11 readers and some (I think, donā€™t know exact model, but looks similar from Google image) Schlage AD200 ā€œMTā€ style door locks (the one without keypad). As for cards, we use Schlage 9520, which is a MF 1k card, which is why I went for the xM1. Does anyone have experience with these readers/cards and can confirm that an xM1 would work?

I havenā€™t been able to try on the AD200, but I did try the MT11. With the diagnostic card, it blinks strongly with LF and HF. When I try to use the HF field detector, I get no light whatsoever. I tried it in multiple orientations and positions. Vertical, horizontal, all over the reader with no luck. I even tried turning off the lights to see better, but saw nothing. I read in a few other posts that some readers have a low-power mode that only reads a card when a large antenna is presented. I tried using both the diagnostic card and an actual access card to see if this was the case, but still couldnā€™t get the field detector to light up. Any ideas on how to test further?

I believe the MT11 reader can do both HF and LF, but we use Mifare Classic 1k cards. I work in IT with one of the guys that enrolls access cards. I might ask him if itā€™s possible to enroll an LF card, then get an LF field detector and try that out. Maybe an LF chip like an xEM or NExT would read better?

Thanks for taking the time read and help out. Iā€™m really excited to get chipped and start using it, but I donā€™t want to jump the gun.

Have you considered flexM1? You can do that with slightly bigger needles, and it has dramatically better read range.

You could always try. If youā€™re willing to risk it, you could eject the chip into a very clean bag full of alcohol and test it. at the reader. Iā€™d put thet bag in another bag with alcohol until install day then.* Your installer would have to install with a usual piercing needle.

* i have no idea if thatā€™s even enough to prevent infection, you probably donā€™t wanna do what I say as itā€™s dangerous

1 Like

My work reader literally wonā€™t light up a field detector, but I can get my xem to read

The field detectors can be pickier than the chips sometimes

1 Like

I actually have considered this, and I have have no issue with it myself. However I feel like in my area (Topeka, KS), Iā€™ll have a hard enough time finding an installer willing to do the x series implants, let alone the flex series.

Not too keen on this idea. Once again, Iā€™m trying to make it easier for a local piercer to say yes. Walking in with a bag of alcohol and a chip seems like a quick way to a no. Not to mention a too risky for my taste.

I was beginning to wonder this. Was it too hard to find out how to orient it just right, or does it work pretty well? What kind of reader is it?

I believe itā€™s a Honeywell Omniprox 30

This is the presentation I have to do,
I have my chip facing sideways, and then move it straight down in a swipe motion, and it will pop around the green circle

Kinda weird, because I would expect it work better in a vertical orientation if moving verticallyā€¦ and for it to pop at the top and bottom ends of the antenna

Or to work better swiping horizontally if chip is horizontal, but nope thatā€™s what it likes

I never got the field detectors to light up on this reader

Decided to bite the bullet and put it in little over a week ago and concerns no more!

I finally got my new xM1 to read on the readers at work and let me tell you. That first beep was the best beep Iā€™ve ever heard.

Not going to lie, I was kinda impatient and was beginning to lose hope of it ever working of our work readers after having it scan on both my phone and Proxmark, but not the wall readers. I guess Iā€™m just impatient and that swelling really matters. :sweat_smile: I kept at it though and fiddled for it a little bit before badging into work everyday. Now that I got it to work, itā€™s pretty easy to hit the sweet spot consistently. @Eriequiet , itā€™s actually quite similar to what you suggested, except it seems to work better if I start in the middle of the reader and swipe upwards.

Thanks for all of your reassurance. Having this work makes it 110% with the pain. Now to decide what to get in the other handā€¦ :grin:

5 Likes

Never a truer statement has been saidā€¦OK well some others.
But you are correct

4 Likes

Do you have any additional advice for getting your xM1 to read on the AptiQ readers? My building mostly uses the MT15s, with a few of the MT11s, but I canā€™t get my implant to read on any of them.

Also, did you ever have any luck with the door locks? We have basically the residential version of those, which I have also not been able to get working.

Itā€™s been over a month since my implant, so all of my swelling has long since subsided. Any help is super appreciated!

First of all, where is your implant located? I have mine in L0, so some of my tips may not be applicable if you have it elsewhere, but Iā€™ll give you my experience and I can try to help you adapt it if need be.

Approximate location of my xM1 implant:

The MT11 readers work great with my xM1, there are a couple of different techniques I use depending on how the reader is positioned and whether or not itā€™s giving me issues. I wonā€™t bother adding images for the MT15, there arenā€™t that many of them where I work, but the few that Iā€™ve run into still work fine and work almost exactly the same as the MT11, just focus on the ā€œsweet spotā€ near the edge of the reader.

Alright, Iā€™ve compiled a few visual aids here.

The first method is the one i use most often and is as follows:
I use my thumb to sort of ā€œpush outā€ the implant into a more proud position so as to see it better and position it easier, then place it on the reader in the the ā€œsweet spotā€ like so (ā€œimplantā€ not to scale):

Video Example:

Method 2:
Make thumb and rest of hand into an ā€œLā€ shape, to stretch skin tight over implant and make it more visible and closer to surface of skin. Place back of hand/corner of thumb and index finger over the reader, just below the ā€œsweet spotā€. Slide hand up the reader slowly until successful read or past the ā€œsweet spot.ā€ This method is useful sometimes because it allows me to lock my thumb against the side of the reader to get a more consistent placement.

Video Example:

I have had some luck with the Schlage AD200-MT, they do seem a tad more finicky than the MT11 readers though. Here is an image of what I would say is the the sweet spot for the reader. (ā€œimplantā€ not to scale.) I use method 2, described above, as to get a more consistent read on these.

AD-200-MT_sweetspot

Video Example:

Hopefully all of this helps you out a bit, if you need any clarification on anything or more examples, just let me know.

Good luck!

Edit: swapped videos with YouTube videos for compatibility.
Edit 2: added video for Schlage AD200-MT

4 Likes

Wow, thanks for the detailed examples!

My implant is also in L0, but itā€™s oriented 90 degrees from how yours is.

With your Method 1, I was able to get my implant to read consistently on the MT11. Unfortunately, out of the doors I use on a daily basis, thereā€™s only one MT11, and maybe ten MT15s. I have tried at length with the MT15, but no matter what, I canā€™t seem to get it to read. If you could post an pic or video showing where you get a solid read on those, that would be great.

Thanks again for your help!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s great news!

I donā€™t have too much experience with the MT15, thereā€™s only one in our building that I know of. Iā€™ll try to get a video of it in Monday. From what I can tell though, the ā€œsweet spotā€ is in the same place on the edge as the MT11.

If itā€™s more comfortable for you, Iā€™m pretty sure you can hit the same spot on the left side of the reader too.

Boy, you werenā€™t kidding. Those MT15 are more difficult than I remember. It doesnā€™t help that the HF side of my Diag Card is blown out and Field Detectors donā€™t seem to work on these readers. Iā€™ll keep trying at it, but couldnā€™t get a read at first try. I know for sure that I have gotten them to work before though.

@rhedgehog Good news! I Think I have found a more consistent way of getting the xM1 to read on the MT15 readers.

Altough my HF xFD wonā€™t light up on these readers, I found out earlier today by messing around that my xSIID will light up on our readers, even though it will not read. I used this knowledge to locate a sweetspot for the MT15 readers and used method #1 to get a consistent read. It appears the the sweetspot on the MT15 readers is a little further in than on the MT11. Itā€™s almost like the MT15 uses the same antenna as the MT11, just in a larger enlclosure.

Example:

Hereā€™s a video of me messing around with it for a bit to give you a better idea of where to hold the implant:

Hope you can find some success with this knowledge. Let me know how it goes if you try!

4 Likes