Custom 5mm flex installation needle now available

Well, to be fair, it kinda does… this is why we suggest bevel down for large needles. You can see this happens as the initial angle is quite steep to get under the dermis, and it basically cores out a plug of fat which plops out when the needle is removed.

The reason it doesn’t make a cylinder of hot dog meat out of your flesh is, as others have said, the bevel… but not just the heel, it is the entire way the bevel is cut. The point leads of course, but the cutting “blade” edge of the bevel is essentially facing outward, away from the hollow core of the needle. This outter edge is what is separating tissue. Depending on the bevel, about half way from point to heel, the cut of the tube rotates about 45 degrees and now the outside edge of the tube is cut a perfect 90 degrees. The separating edge acts more like a wedge, lifting tissue as the cross section of the needle grows while sliding past any particular piece of tissue.

Here it is from a more top-down angle.

2 Likes

Great photos, I was actually in the process of drawing that all by hand :joy:

2 Likes

i had a microscope handy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Man Amal, you’re always hogging all the coolest stuff for yourself. I want a microscope hand!

6 Likes

That is genius! Gnarly for sure but would feel a hell of alot better than having to make an incision, open up the pocket and then implant, this takes so much of the guess work out. Much faster too!

2 Likes

i want an on-demand microscope eye like gogo gadget :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Amal we all know you will be the first to become IRL inspector gadget.

1 Like

i feel like people with cool prosthetics probably beat me to it…

1 Like

tenor (56)

1 Like

Practical question: how does one handle the needle? Surely you need a tool, or a handle to hold it. I can’t see myself punching it in or retracting it with just my bare fingers, especially if it’s lubricated.

Or is a needle holder a standard accessory all piercers have?

Lube tenor (57)

4 Likes

That is why you should not self implant with it, not just because the standard call is to not self install anything, but on top of it, this tool should not be self used

gloves cause more friction, as you can see in the video, making pulling and pushing easier

Yea also this

1 Like

I didn’t ask how I could do it. I was wondering how it’s done. I was just curious, is all.

Carefully? And preferably pointed in the right direction :-p

Other question, I thought the idea was to insert thru the needle?

download (4)

I cant help but hear this

2 Likes

no sorry i don’t mean to imply you were asking how. I was just saying in theory it wouldn’t be all that hard to do it with hands if you are preforming this on someone else.

Also asfor needle holders, i dont think they make ones that would hold a 5 gauge needle in place.

1 Like

Go to around 3min to 3:45

this whole process, would have been faster with some lube on just the tip, rather than no lube at all

1 Like

I’m thinking of getting one or two if I ever want to implant another smaller Flex, because my piercer won’t have one, but he has an autoclave. But I sure as hell won’t do it myself.

As for holders, I have quite a few needle file holders with a tightening ring. I thought perhaps that sort of thing was part of the professional’s toolbox for piercing needles. Because it sounds more convenient to this metalworker.

Yeah okay, maybe I should have watched the video first :slight_smile: Serves me right for continuing to think text holds more information than images nowadays.

Incidentally, it takes me 30 seconds to understand your replies when you mix text and gifs - I’m confused as shit each and every time.