Difference RFID and NFC, and what can I do with each one.

I live in Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil. I’m in doubt between RFID and NFC technology. My intention in addition to making payment, and being able to release access to gates. What is the best?

1 Like

Payment is only possible with Walletmor and DT’s card conversion service.

RFID chips come in two types : High frequency and low frequency.

NFC means high frequency. It is used by mobile phones, payment terminals and is more present in everyday life in general.

The name RFID is sometimes used to refer ONLY to low frequency (it’s wrong but we still do it). Low frequency is used mostly in industrial contexts and for access control.

The ideal first implant is the NeXT which combines 2 chips. One LF and one HF.
You will probably use the HF (NFC) more as you can read/write it with your phone and you can find door locks that work with it
In fact here is the compatibility matrix of many implants against locks on the market: Chip compatibility matrix - Google Sheets

4 Likes

Walletmor wouldn’t work in Brazil unless OP can spoof an EU address to register on iCard

And last time I checked, at least in Sao Paulo, Contactless terminals are still far and few in between… even after the pandemic.
And the ones I found would always require even my bank card to be inserted after reading. Allegedly, because it was an international card.

So conversion service might still not be so useful in Brazil.

Beyond what @Az_F already mentioned, just throwing a bit more info…

NFC is a “subcategory” of RFID. it allows for more data to be transferred much faster, but at a “cost” of having much less range.

Similar thing with Cell Phone technologies: GSM is much slower than 5G for data transfer… but on the open a 2G tower could reach a mobile phone about 35Km away, while a 5G tower can’t even reach half a Km.

This makes it so that NFC is the tech to go if you need bigger applications such as Java Card based services, cryptography, large files transfer/storage…

While RFID is ideal for everyday use with access control, since it’s more convenient to just wave your hand at a reader and see that door opening!

For example, I got both chips.
My Low Frequency (“RFID”) chip clones a FOB I use to open my building door.
My High Frequency (“NFC”) chip grants me admin rights on my computer and opens my flat’s door, leveraging encrypted validation for an extra layer of security.

+1 there.

Because ultimately, unless you are the person designing the access system, you won’t have much of a choice. You’ll need to conform to the same chip that system already uses.

Also,another thing to note is… there are many distinctions between chips in each category!

For example, a building’s door might use RFID chips with only 4 digit UID, while another building might use a chip with 8 digit UID. This means you would need a different RFID chip for each building.
And that’s just an example.

So either you can go with something versatile, like Az mentioned, and then find out how to use it…
or you need to find out what you want it used for, and then figure out what chip you need!

PS: let me know if you need something translated into portuguese.

3 Likes

Great, among the 13.56 Mhz NFC microchips, which will be better the ICODELIX2 ISO 15693 or the NTAG216 ISO14443A?
I wanted the DEFIRE EV2 ISO 14443A or the CRYPTOBIONIC ISO 14443A, but it’s expensive.

After implantation, how do I program the michochip? Is it through a mobile app?

You can use these

1 Like

Would this theoretically work in the US? Asking for a friend

Short answer: you don’t wan’t to do that

Long answer:

Yes.

Note here I meant a real address, not your IP address.
i.e. you would need an EU proof of address.

But then you would also:

• have to pay flat fees for transactions every time you use it in the US.

• possibly have to pay fees every time you use your non-EU based bank to transfer money into the card.

• be committing fraud, to which no one would actually care.

• be breaching their EULA, which is grounds for them terminating your service and keeping your money (seen iCard do that already).

But there are better and more reliable methods available in the US than iCard based services. So this would be a moot route.

If you mean the purewrist based walletmor implants that expire in July, then no, no there isn’t. I believe there might be viable conversion service with CoC, but other than that…

2 replies because these are 2 distinct issues

that depends on the microchip:

for NFC ones (high frequency), @Az_F already pointed at 2 good apps. As long as your phone has NFC enabled you should be good to go with it.

there are also a few other methods, such as using a PM3, which is a pain to use, but allows you to do a lot with any RFID (low or high frequency) device… including programming your Low frequency chip.

Or some chinese cloning guns… but these aren’t super reliable and may mess up the chip until you can use something like a Proxmark (PM3) to fix it.

That depends entirely on your usage.
Ideally you should be able to find out what chip the system you want to use your implant use, and then you get the same chip for your implant.

To do that, use one of the apps previously mentioned and scan your badge.

Once you know which chip is in your badge/fob… buy an empty badge online (one that has the same chip and with Writeable UID) and then try to use your phone to clone your badge to it.

If the clone works, then you know what chip you want for your implant.

DF2 (Desfire) is an amazing chip, but most likely to not be able to be used in an existing system unless the system specifically uses DF2 tags.

Also, for both DF2 and Cryptobyonic chips… unless you know how to code for them, you probably won’t be making use of any of their advantages.

I was actively trying not to slander Walletmor in this topic, because I already did that in way too many places! :rofl:

But no. I wasn’t refering to that sh!tshow.

Mostly that you are close enough to Amal and there are plenty of US-based fob service providers and contactless-only bank issued cards, inclusive of fancy pants banks with longer expiry dates if you pay enough for the card… which can become a payment conversion based implant.

Very complicated. I don’t know that here in Brazil will have support for these programs. I want the microchip to make contactless payments, and I open the door here in my previous one. Between these two 13.56 Mhz NFC microchips, which one will be better ICODELIX2 ISO 15693 or NTAG216 ISO14443A???
Thank you very much for your help, because I want to implement it and I don’t understand anything.

There’s plenty of EU based fob providers, but I can’t find any US based ones

There is no “better” they do vastly different things.

Looks more complicated than it is.
But yes… it is somewhat complex.

None of these microchips will allow you to make contactless payments.
I’ll try to get into better detail about the steps for that:

Nenhum desses chips funcionam para contactless.

Para fazer pagamentos tu vais precisar de um cartao de banco dai do Br que serve pra contactless.
Dai tem que mandar pra DT para eles dissolverem o cartao, trocarem de antena para tentarem fazer uma conversao, transformando o chip contactless do cartao em um implante.
Esse eh o payment conversion service que tem na loja.
Vale mencionar que nem todos os cartoes servem pra isso, mas talvez o Amal (quem vai te atender se mandar um e-mail perguntando sobre a convercao) saiba te dizer algum banco que ele saiba que vai servir.

Now, for the gate access bit: To know which chip you need, the best route is to scan the tag you use to open your door.

You can use the android app: NFC Tools
Open it, click on Read, the approach the gate FOB to it.
On the first row, it should say “Tag type:” and then what is the tag. like this:

These screenshots are from the Pro version, but they are basically the same.
Also, the black bars are because I scanned a live chip, so would rather keep it private. :wink:

Ok, chorus time!

Ok, sobre abrir o portao entao…
Para saber qual chip serve pra ti, eh mais facil voce usar o app NFC Tools para Android, em um telefone com NFC, e ai escaneie a tag ou fob que voce ja tem pro portao que mencionou.

Para isso, abra o app, dai clica na tab “Read”. vai ser algo parecido com a primeira imagem que postei.

Quando escanear a tag, a parte que importa eh o primeiro retangulo: “Tag type”.

Meu app eh a versao Pro. mas tem uma versao gratis do app que funciona igualzinha pra ler as tags mas eh mais colorida. Entao nao espere telas identicas a minha.

ps: mals, mas meu teclado nao ta funcionando bem com os acentos

Not sure if these are good or not. Neither am I sure if they work for a payment conversion or not.

Also… @Pilgrimsmaster, is there a thread for this already which we should be using?
If not… shall we detach this bit about US based payment conversion candidates into it’s own thread? this way I assume more people would join in.

so…

K-Pay!
https://k-pay.com/product/new-york/

This is a british thingie, but unrelated to addresses.
It leverages Fidesmo Pay… that brings it’s own drawbacks, but on the other hand, this chip has no expiry date! check the FAQ
https://eu.k-pay.com/faq-fidesmo/

then you have the likes of Purewrist (not via walletmor if you value your sanity), or Much Better for conversion…

Then there are Mini-cards!
I’m too lazy to go through a bunch of american banks sites, but that’s a great route too!! Just check about minicards with your bank or other banks you like.

PS: congrats @amal !! DT shows up as the second highest link for the keyword “minicards”!! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!!!

1 Like

It was very clear, thank you. I’m going to buy the 13.56Mhz NFC NTAG216 ISO14443A. I believe he will do what I need. I hope so.

1 Like

you can get writable 13.56Mhz NFC NTAG216 ISO14443A cards from Amazon, AliExpress or Alibaba.

Might be good to test on a cheap card first!

Then you buy it with confidence!

1 Like

Once again thank you very much, you gave me very good tips. Because here on the site there is no delivery to Brazil. I’m afraid to come with it in a suitcase, as it’s something new, and if it’s about injectables, I can’t order it with the police at customs.
Can I trust Aliepress?

1 Like

Eyeux is talking about stickers and fobs to test with your system not actual implants. Don’t buy implants on AliExpress. Never :joy:

If you are talking about a dangerous things product I don’t think it will be an issue. First of all it will just go unnoticed in a big suitcase and second there’s nothing wrong with it. Many people travel with their vital medical equipment weather it’s seringes or other stuff. Just don’t put it in your cabin hand bag! No sharp things in there!

1 Like