Elon Musk Neuralink demo

damn… 40 minutes… just started. guess they beat the odds!

Does it come in a flex version tho?

3 Likes

This is much more impressive than I anticpiated.

1 Like

Missed a big chance to have it glow/blink.

9 Likes

I’m surprised by the range, given its small size… managed to snap a photo of my TV.

23 mm x 8 mm in size… 5-10 meter wireless range??? That’s wild.

I’ll tell you what’s wild: 1024 channels, read AND write. Holy thin wires Batman!

2 Likes

There are a couple of downers though:

1/ The interface is a cellphone. Guess what sits on a cellphone? Android or iOS. I really don’t want a Google or Apple OS running an app that reads from and writes to my brain. Nosireebob!

2/ The implant is fairly easily removable. But nobody seems to touch on the fact that you’re left with a friggin’ hole in your skull afterwards. What’s done about that if you choose to have it removed?

2 Likes

And the range is 5-10 meters… thinking about data safety here, that looks not so good… and yes, google / apple makes it even worse…

Even if you don’t take it out, there is still a hole with a device in it - so, what happens if you get a hit directly on the implant itself?

1 Like

What if I told you, people seek that out. Shoot, I may consider it one day. I have looked into it quite a bit.

1 Like

Isn’t it effectively “just” a craniotomy?

• Crack it open
  • Rip out the neuralink
  • Chuck the skull fragment back in the hole
  • Bung it back together with a couple of staples
  • She’ll be right :+1:

Sounds pretty simple to me

1 Like

Yes, I knew about trepanation. I was more referring to those of us who are not comfortable with having a hole in their skulls :slight_smile:

See above :arrow_double_up:

If I get it right, there simply is no more skull fragment - there is a hole, the implant, and the skin above it…

Hole saw, Bone graft = Problem solved :+1:
Or just keep the original bone fragment in a jar full of cerebrospinal fluid

I should have been a surgeon…

Alright, who’s paying up? @Satur9 you owe me $30 :slight_smile:

7 Likes

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I always say “How much do you want to bet…” when I’m not sure I’ll come out ahead, and “I’ll bet you X” when I am :slight_smile:

1 Like

Only if I can take it home and put it on my desk - would be a nice conversation starter :wink:

1 Like

Maybe they give it to you in a lil white box like my wisdom teeth came in. Problem is eventually you’ll move somewhere else and forget which giant-storage-thingy-in-the-attic you packed it away in.

3 Likes

Losing my head, kind of… at least partly… :smile:

2 Likes