FlexNExT not reading - Excess liquid above it?

I asked my doc about that, and he said it was very unlikely (near impossible) that my body takes full four months to react to something that went wrong on installation day. So I think Amal and my artist are out of the game here, because…

…this.
At least that’s what my docs assumed. Especially since this happened very fast and might have been related to an injury on the inside.

But yeah, I’m curious to see what they find out!

1 Like

I was more thinking of a low-level infection that your body was containing more or less (hence the edema) and then the bug went on full attack for some reason. But hey, I wouldn’t know, I ain’t no doctor.

Yes this is called biofouling and it’s very unlikely in our biopolymer… however… adhesive contamination come create an entirely different situation there… especially if your body tried to encapsulate it, effectively creating a little safe haven dark back alley kind of setup for a rouge bacteria to set up shop.

Possibly staphylococcus… it’s super common in skin but also free floating around inside us.

Glad it’s out. Glad you’re doing well.

3 Likes

I just want to say, I appreciate you and your business. I won’t say no to a freebie of the new one, but probably won’t have this one removed.

My partner asked if I was getting a refund or new one or whatever, and I told them it would probably be something like this, but that I wasn’t actually upset. Like, sure, it’s unfortunate that I can’t give someone my business card with it anymore, but I’m also really glad this is available at all, and would rather it be sold as safe and probably flawless but a possible issue or few than not sold at all.

2 Likes

You have a great attitude, and yeah DT after sales is awesome.

The fact that DT is willing to try new things and the community is willing to implant them is a fantastic symbiotic relationship.

2 Likes

considering

there will be an option to get credit towards this new product in the works…

4 Likes

Completely understandable
Looking forward to this new product. Also, great action getting us the refund into something like a new product which will be safer, will accept it for sure!

I know that it’s TOP SECRET right now but, will it blink?

1 Like

i think that can be an option yes

5 Likes

Guys, small update about my dead FlexNExT (HF).
Two LEDs are now dead, only one left.
Really weird, haven’t had any trauma, skin is fine.
LF still working
When the HF died, all the LEDs were working fine

That really sucks, I’m sorry to hear it. Sounds like the connections / components on those two NFC LEDs have been damaged :frowning:

Are you planning to get a flexMN or flexMT as a replacement? Or just keeping it as a big flexEM for now?

Interestingly, while my doNExT is deader than a dead dodo, the three LEDs are still perfectly fine. And since it died, I quit being particularly careful with it.

I wonder if it has something to do with the LEDs being attached to something with a lot more give than the flexNExT over their entire surface. Or said another way, maybe sticking the nails across the boundary of the flexNExT’s stiff core and floppy outer rim creates shearing forces in them that cause them to fail.

2 Likes

That makes a hell lot of sense.

I’m have to wonder why we haven’t heard of many flexMT failures as well then… if this is the case though, it might be hard to stop the LEDs dying :frowning:

Not the same construction: the flexNExT was two concentric disks, one really stiff and one totally floppy, with the nails positioned radially across the boundary between the two. The flexMT is one somewhat stiff outer disk with one really stiff inner one in the middle off to the side, with the nails positioned somewhat over the empty spaces on the other side.

The assumption is that when the outer rim of the flexNExT bent, the part of the nails over the stiffer core wouldn’t bend, and so the entire bending force was contentrated on the part of the nail over the boundary.

With the flexMT, when the outer rim is bent, the nails kind of go along over their entire length. And the flexMT bends less, possibly.

On my doNExT, the entire implant is floppy and the nails aren’t positioned radially, so they go along with the bending also. I surmise that’s why mine are still alive. I may be wrong, it’s just a supposition, but I’ve done enough Von Misses analyses in my life to have a fairly good hunch.

1 Like

Pretty much that… plus size.

The larger the disc, the more of it will end up beyond the areas we could sall “flat” on out boddies.
And the more they stick out, the more they will be bent into a potato chip shape… thus aggravating this scenario @anon3825968 painted above.

Ex:
In my wrist, with my measures, I can lay down a 25mm diameter disc without having to worry much.
If I go beyond that, each mm larger will be a mm bent.
So I might be able to fit an EM in there, and only about 1/6 of it’s surface will be under constant pressure…

Which makes it so the pressure is much less than on the edges of a 40mm disk, which would cause 3/8 of the disk area to be under pressure.

Simplifying the process again…
Not only the “area” matters, but also the lever effect.
On a flexMN, you had only 2.5mm of “lever length” on each side. On the flexNExT you had about 7.5mm of length on each side.

These larger distances not only affect more the chips, especially on a flexible outer ring like the next one, but also cause more “damage”

Funny that the harder the implant is, the more damage it will deal to you. yet the more flexible the implant is, the more that damage will be translated into the implant.

Which should be a great thing!
If an implant is 100% flexible, even counting the solder joints and etc… then it should just “roll with the blows” and everything would be fine.

But as Rosco pointed out, if the implant is partly rigid and partly flexible… then all this energy/damage coming it’s way will probably hit stress points and we can see some shearing coming up.

Or… scratch all that, and the problem might be on the NFC nails themselves.

I do have 5 NFC nails converted to implant with glow resin, made by @amal, here with me.

When I received it I made some tests, mostly to see if they were working. Then I put them back into a box and stored.

Couple weeks later, I took them out, ran some more tests, all good. put them back inside.

now, another month later, I took them out and decided to test the glow resin charging, to make a final decision on placement, since I was planning an install within the next weeks.

For this test, I placed 2 nails on top of DT’s KBR reader, to properly check how strong would be the charge from the glow resin with 5 and 10 minutes of continuous activation, and the other 3 nails went on top of a ARC122 running an eternal loop of read/wait, to see the difference between those first 2, and then 5/10/30 minutes of blinking activation.

all good, all fine…
Except that one of the 5 nails suddenly stopped working after a bit less than 1 minute on top of the KBR.
Nothing else seems to activate it anymore.

All the others are still fine…

Got a flexMN, but I’m thinking about implanting it on my other hand and leaving the flexNExT as giant flexEM

About the floppy part of the flexNExT, I can definately tell that, when I move my hand, the floppy part bends and the stiff one doesn’t. The only LED left is the one which doesn’t bend when I move my hand

Is the flexMN completely stiff? Cause that seems a good idea

Makes sense… =/

Although the Nail I have here that failed… was completely flat, not connected to anything else. completely isolated.

being completely stiff is a good thing for the electronics, but depending on how small the implantee is, it might cause issues.

I think what’s important is that it bend uniformly, if the nail is over an area that bends, of that the nail be entirely over an area that does not.

1 Like