flexNExT on hand healing process and info [regularly updated]

Totally…
I currently work in retail, so I have a lot of contact to customers and all that - but I think it’s ridiculous to think that my look really makes a difference, as long as I look neat and clean. I mean, people buy their stuff in our shop, and some may like the way I look while others don’t - that happens to me as well, and I still buy things in shops where the employees don’t meet my personal aesthetics :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Well maybe piercings and tattoos are a plus if you’re gonna work at hot topic or something like that lol

Would definitely be easier :wink:
But I work at an organic store… don’t know if there is an equivalent in the US, maybe something like whole foods? Dunno^^

I get it, I just don’t see it that way. If I ultimately want to do something to my body (whether it’s because I think it’s cool, or it looks good, or just because I like it), I’m going to do so abashedly. I don’t want to work at a place that is going to look at me weird because I have a few facial piercings or use my totally voluntary implant to open the door instead of my badge, so I like going into interviews being completely open and honest about who I am and what I value as such. If they don’t like it, cool, I wouldn’t like working for them anyway.

For the record, this very much stems from my time working for the government. Even though the people that I worked around were a joy, the management and ultimately the environment I was in proved to be toxic to my well-being, and I vowed never to work for a company where I was going to have to hide who I was again after that.

Absolutely. I was bartending before my current gig, and I had the same approach. You can’t cater to every single customer’s liking - it’s just plain untenable. So either you try to go for a stoic and just bland middle ground, or you let your employees be themselves and generate interest/business by empowering those that work for you. Obviously, you can tell which method I prefer lol

2 Likes

oh yeah I agree completely, it’s your body so you can do whatever you want to it. For me it’s not really the jobs preventing me from doing what I want but the fact that I’m indecisive and don’t really care about stuff like that. like I’d get a tattoo I think is really cool then in a few months I’ll change my mind about it. I used to have a few piercings when I was in highschool but I broke my lip piercing because I was always playing with it and biting it and never bothered to replace it.

I look more at the utility of body mods now like implants and magnets

1 Like
1 Like

Fine, I guess I’ll have to make an awesome thing. Twist my arm. leumas95 has been really busy lately, or it would already be tested. I’ll take another look. I don’t know if we’re going to get full body range at 13.56MHz, though. Might need multiple devices around your body. 125kHz would work better

3 Likes

I’d be totally fine with that - neck, wrists, belt, ankles… hell, I could even integrate something in a hairpiece :grin:

3 week update :partying_face:
I’m starting to get used to it, I do not notice it as much anymore. It is visible most of the time but not too much, you wouldn’t notice it when walking by. I have full mobility of my wrist and no pain. Every now and then I get a weird sensation on the pinky side or the wrist like a little stiffness but it is really hard to tell if I’m imagining it or if it’s normal fatigue or if it’s even related to the implant itself. Other than that I do not feel it at all.
When I exercise a lot (push ups and pull ups) some faint blue/purple spots appear on the implant and then go away quickly (not painful, not worrisome). I guess some blood vessels are still being squished or under too much pressure.
Other than that the leds are still redish and the scan range has not changed.

2 Likes

Did you notice any shape accommodation, so it’s less and less visible?

No, it’s clearly visible. Nothing has changed :wink:

Does it bother you?
Can you feel the edges?

It’s not bothering me when moving. I’m still getting used to the idea of rubbing it or pressing it against stuff but otherwise I can’t feel it at all and I haven’t found any inconveniences yet. I can see and feel the edges with the other hand also the skin on top of it is definitely less sensitive, I barely feel it when scratching it.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer.
I guess I wonder about how I use my hands.

I one trip grocery bags, so they get wrapped on my hand sometimes. Like a lot, cause I am Man. Will that crease the implant over time?

I also wrap ropes around them to pull on stuff with quite a bit, will that tear the top or bottom making a fluid pouch? (I know in my chat history I bring this up a lot, but I seriously wonder why there is no fluid build up around ones that large, any insight @Amal? )

It is these things I have questions about, but don’t want you to intentionally experiment with intentionally. I never really put much thought into how much the backs of my hands get used until these came out.

I don’t think I would wrap a rope on it, i feel like I could but i’m not willing to take the risk (for now at least). I don’t think there’s much risk but it’s like a new phone, you’re really careful until you drop it once :joy: I can totally pull a rope with my wrist thought and I climbed a rope recently without any problem.

1 Like

If you climb a rope on hand strength alone, holy smokes.

I went through Air Assault School, and found rope climbing fairly easy, as long as I used my feet. I never understood how people could just use their grip strength alone.

Most people I saw do this were under 5 and a half foot. I am 6 foot 4. I legitimately believe smaller people have a way easier time doing this.

The important ratio is grip strength to body weight. Generally someone who is shorter has less mass, so for them to develop the grip strength to support their body weight is eaiser and less muscle mass. For someone taller you pay twice - once for the strength to offset your natural size, and then a bit more for the muscle weight.

Thats part of the reason a short and not overly strong rock climber can do better than a strongman at certain things - less mass, less muscle weight, better ratio, easier climb!

1 Like

Climbing and parkour :wink:
And what @Compgeek said for sure

1 Like

You guys all forget one important factor: if you’re 6 ft tall, you have a full foot less to climb than a five footer. Depending on the distance, it can make a big difference.

For instance, I’m tall and the missus really isn’t. When I reach for a beer above the fridge, I just rise on my toes and the job is done. She on the other hand bitches and moans, then has to go get the stepladder - or slaps me behind the ears until I get up and get one for her :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thats the big one! Over the distance of an 18m indoor climbing wall, the foot is nothing. But having a longer reach and the option to maybe go for more efficient holds and positions can make up the difference all over again. So many factors to consider!

1 Like