flexNExT on hand healing process and info [regularly updated]

The singlemost important reason why I’ll be implanting mine in the wrist is because it seems a lot more dimensionally stable than the back of the hand: there are a tendons working underneath, but the area stay roughly the same curved shape, and doesn’t change too much as I move around.

The back of the hand however has very prominent tendons that bow up when you extend your fingers, and can change curvature as you make a first ot flatten your hand. That means the implant will keep being flexed and deformed all day long much more than if it was in the wrist.

I don’t want a semi-rigid thing on top of my tendons because I want to ensure they’re as free to move as possible, and also for the sake of the implant: something that flexes and deforms repeatedly breaks over time.

That’s something nobody seems to consider much, but I’ve studied fatigue failures extensively, and I know it’s not because something can flex that it can do so forever with impunity. In the case of the flexNExT particularly, there are 3 obvious stress raisers inside the implant itself (the blinkies) and I’m pretty sure if a flexNExT should sustain fatigue failure, it’ll happen at the root of one of the blinkes.

So, no back of the hand for me. It’s cooler than the wrist for sure, but I won’t risk it.

From looking at it, it doesn’t really seem to deform at all. It seems too rigid to take the shape of the hand. When I make a fist it’s the skin that stretches to compensate.
I’m not excluding there is some flexing but to much less extent than what you think. I believe :man_shrugging:

Well, like I said, either the implant deforms, in which case I’d worry about it failing eventually (but yours doesn’t apparently, so I trust the worry isn’t warranted) or it’s stiff enough that wouldn’t be too keen on having highly mobile bits of my hand moving and sliding underneath. Either way, mine will go in my wrist. Call me Mister Picky :slight_smile:

1 Like

The wound has gone from grand canyon to a pirates eyebrow, putting the stips was good advice. I also used the silicone cream so I guess it works quite well :mechanical_arm: the implant seems closer to the wound than before… Did it move or did the skin get tighter? We’ll never know :man_shrugging:

What do you think?

Looking okay, at least you’re keeping it clean. Definitely took the stitches out too soon. Personally, I would be using 5-6 small butterfly closures instead of steristrips to pull the wound together tighter. It will heal faster and leave a smaller scar line. Might be too late to make much of a difference, though

It probably did move

Just like with the glass implants, the wound channel begins to close together from the back and shifts the implant towards the entry point. For a flex this large it wouldn’t normally be very noticeable, but because of the position above your finger bones that are constantly in motion it’s probably being bumped to the right a bit.

1 Like

Looks pretty good, especially compared to the day you took the stitches out! But, like Satur9 already said, I would keep some butterfly closures on it, just to reduce the amount of tearing and movement on the scar.

I think it’s really interesting how one big vein is running right across the implant - I thought they would all be below it. Pretty curious how mine will work out, because I have some pretty prominent vessels in the same area…
And the skin seems to start settling down, the implant is clearly more visible now. All in all, think it looks good :wink: :+1:

1 Like

Like I says, better safe than sorry :slight_smile:

1 Like

Posting for comparison, here is what mine looks like:

1 Like

Really nice! What about the implant itself? Based on the pic, I’d say its barely visible at all - can you see it?

You would be correct - it’s only slightly visible from a side/profile view of my arm, which looks like tiny bump/swelling spot, but looking at it head on, it’s almost completely invisible.

1 Like

So… I went climbing… Please don’t hate me :disappointed::disappointed: anyway nothing changed, some red dots in the area :man_shrugging: I gave up on butterfly strip because they keep peeling of

2 Likes

Just to clarify, you’re using steristrips… which really so suck. The adhesive is terrible… worthless really. A quality butterfly bandage will stick like a quality bandage will and it will hold shit together well. They look like this;

1 Like

I remember having to superglue them down to get any adhesive strength on my flex.

1 Like

Yes , agreed, i did use steristrips. I didn’t have any buterfly ones at home. Anyway as @Satur9 said it’s probably too late so I think I will just keep it clean and leave it alone

Looks like an allergy, itches a lot… Should I be worried or just wait? It has been about 20hours

Damn… did you do anything “special” in the last one or two days? Anything that might lead to this?

It started at the climbing gym, probably the tape I used to hold the bandage?

An allergic reaction centered on and limited to the area of your implant sounds unlikely.
No idea what it could be, but I’d go see a doc if I were you.
Keep us posted please.

2 Likes

Might be that - do you use this “powder-stuff”? Maybe something of that got somewhere it shouldn’t be?

Anyway, ask your artist first, and the doc pretty soon afterwards, I’d say…

Going to the doc in 30min, my piercer says it’s probably the heat and the tape

Definitely didn’t have any on the back of the hand :thinking: