flexNExT on hand healing process and info [regularly updated]

I take it back, after looking closely this is definitely a small vein. Doesn’t seem to cause a problem though and it helps make the implant less visible…

Fascinating. Is the vein under or above the implant?

Above :man_shrugging: weird

Interesting. Well, as long as it feels comfortable and doesn’t cause any issues, I don’t see a reason for concern. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Day 10 update. Stitches removed, the wound is sealed but it looks a bit ugly, it makes a groove. I hope it fixes itself over time :crossed_fingers: photos up there :point_up: Definitely not as clean as @Ottomagne 's :man_shrugging:

I have a feeling you removed them too soon. I had stitches on my chest once from a nevus removal that I took out too early (I had to, for complicated reasons) and it looked exactly like that. The wound stayed closed, but the scar line stretched. Now the skin there is very thin and the scar looks like an old bullet wound.

I’d do something to avoid putting any tension on the skin there for at least one more week if I was you - like tape or something.

1 Like

That’s pretty similar to what my bodymod-implant wound looked like after I removed the stitches… my body didn’t want them any more, so I had to take them out. Tip my Artist gave me: Put some butterfly plaster on it (hell, I had to google how these things are called… just know the german word^^), and about one or two days after removal (I’d say, when the wound feels closed), start caring for the wound with a special scar-treatment cream. I’m using one for about 3 weeks now (it’s called Kelofibrase, don’t know if it’s available in France), and the scar has significantly improved - it’s still slightly darker, but very soft and flat.

I put some steristrips on it , but the wound is dry and definitely closed so i’m not sure how it would help :thinking:

I got BepanthenCica, it’s mainly silicone I think . Probably the same :crossed_fingers:
It has a fancy massage ball thingy :joy:

Yeah, these were exactly the plasters I meant :smiley:
As for the gel, guess it should work - I’m usually all into natural cosmetics, so I decided to take one without silicone (and with, at least, very little synthetic stuff), it works mainly with heparine, urea, camphor and menthol - was slightly “afraid” to put it on first, but it didn’t burn or tingle or whatever, so I’m happy with it.

1 Like

In a wonderful sense of uncoordinated unity, I also took my stitches out too early, I fear. My scalpel site doesn’t have the inlaid damage that @Az_F’s does and isn’t as dry, but mine looks like the skin is significant less closed. I put another tegaderm over it with some anti-bac cream to keep it clean and wrapped a bandage around it to help keep pressure on it until I can make a run to the pharmacy to grab butterfly closures to help keep it closed longer term.

2 Likes

Cyborg swarm intelligence! We all knew it would come…

That’s the reason I built myself a bodymod-box - basically an old beauty case, now filled with scalpels, plasters, bandages, desinfectant, an artery clamp, my spare piercings (just in case I lose one)… whatever goes wrong on the classical sunday morning setting, I can help myself at least until monday :smiley:

3 Likes

Now that’s a smart idea. I’ll probably do something similar with my leftovers from this aftercare once it’s all said and done.

2 Likes

Also, this had to be done

6 Likes

If it doesn’t do you no good, erring on the side of caution won’t hurt you neither :slight_smile:

1 Like

That looks amazing. Do you think the board will be less visible as it heals more? I think it’d be a nice party trick for your hand to light up, without nobody able to see the actual flexNExT you’ve got installed.

It might but I don’tr think so. My skin is very thin and stretchy. But it’s less visible IRL than on the photos

Ohh, okay, my skin is similar, and I am more on the skinny side as well. If I ever decide to get a FlexNExT in the future, or something similar, I’d definitely want it unnoticeable on my hand (aside from when the lights are on)

1 Like

I wonder if compressing the veins will lead to any issue.

I feel like any veins that are under it, would compress upon making a fist.

I draw blood daily at work, I just look at that and wonder how it would affect the circulation of blood in your hand really. Also, I look at it and hope people that do this never need an IV in their hands.

I am not hating. If it was slightly more flexible, I would consider it. My NExT puts pressure against my skin if I hold my hand right, and it gets irritated. I just wonder if this will do the same

1 Like

I don’t think it will affect it much - there are much larger and more massive silicone implants that are put on the hands as well, even the older stuff made from titan (-> not the least bit flexible), and it still doesn’t affect the blood flow in your hand, at least not in a way the wearer may notice. As for IV access on the hand, you’re absolutely right :wink:

1 Like

Honestly, I feel like there are many reasons you could find to not get it in the back of your hand. While that’s probably the quintessential cool spot to put it, I think there’s enough unknowns about putting it there that should make people at least a little wary before committing to it.

That said, I’m really glad someone ended up doing it so we can track it and see how it turns out. Between the back of the hand install and my forearm/wrist install, I feel like we’ll have a pretty good idea of what complications arise in general from the size/implant procedure versus the specific placementnof the implant.