flexNExT on hand healing process and info [regularly updated]

3 week update :partying_face:
I’m starting to get used to it, I do not notice it as much anymore. It is visible most of the time but not too much, you wouldn’t notice it when walking by. I have full mobility of my wrist and no pain. Every now and then I get a weird sensation on the pinky side or the wrist like a little stiffness but it is really hard to tell if I’m imagining it or if it’s normal fatigue or if it’s even related to the implant itself. Other than that I do not feel it at all.
When I exercise a lot (push ups and pull ups) some faint blue/purple spots appear on the implant and then go away quickly (not painful, not worrisome). I guess some blood vessels are still being squished or under too much pressure.
Other than that the leds are still redish and the scan range has not changed.

2 Likes

Did you notice any shape accommodation, so it’s less and less visible?

No, it’s clearly visible. Nothing has changed :wink:

Does it bother you?
Can you feel the edges?

It’s not bothering me when moving. I’m still getting used to the idea of rubbing it or pressing it against stuff but otherwise I can’t feel it at all and I haven’t found any inconveniences yet. I can see and feel the edges with the other hand also the skin on top of it is definitely less sensitive, I barely feel it when scratching it.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer.
I guess I wonder about how I use my hands.

I one trip grocery bags, so they get wrapped on my hand sometimes. Like a lot, cause I am Man. Will that crease the implant over time?

I also wrap ropes around them to pull on stuff with quite a bit, will that tear the top or bottom making a fluid pouch? (I know in my chat history I bring this up a lot, but I seriously wonder why there is no fluid build up around ones that large, any insight @Amal? )

It is these things I have questions about, but don’t want you to intentionally experiment with intentionally. I never really put much thought into how much the backs of my hands get used until these came out.

I don’t think I would wrap a rope on it, i feel like I could but i’m not willing to take the risk (for now at least). I don’t think there’s much risk but it’s like a new phone, you’re really careful until you drop it once :joy: I can totally pull a rope with my wrist thought and I climbed a rope recently without any problem.

1 Like

If you climb a rope on hand strength alone, holy smokes.

I went through Air Assault School, and found rope climbing fairly easy, as long as I used my feet. I never understood how people could just use their grip strength alone.

Most people I saw do this were under 5 and a half foot. I am 6 foot 4. I legitimately believe smaller people have a way easier time doing this.

The important ratio is grip strength to body weight. Generally someone who is shorter has less mass, so for them to develop the grip strength to support their body weight is eaiser and less muscle mass. For someone taller you pay twice - once for the strength to offset your natural size, and then a bit more for the muscle weight.

Thats part of the reason a short and not overly strong rock climber can do better than a strongman at certain things - less mass, less muscle weight, better ratio, easier climb!

1 Like

Climbing and parkour :wink:
And what @Compgeek said for sure

1 Like

You guys all forget one important factor: if you’re 6 ft tall, you have a full foot less to climb than a five footer. Depending on the distance, it can make a big difference.

For instance, I’m tall and the missus really isn’t. When I reach for a beer above the fridge, I just rise on my toes and the job is done. She on the other hand bitches and moans, then has to go get the stepladder - or slaps me behind the ears until I get up and get one for her :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thats the big one! Over the distance of an 18m indoor climbing wall, the foot is nothing. But having a longer reach and the option to maybe go for more efficient holds and positions can make up the difference all over again. So many factors to consider!

1 Like

It might… I’ve have that 35mm disc in my arm for several years now and when the kids grab my arms and hang off me or whatever, it does pinch real good sometimes as the edge digs in… but I’ve never gotten a fluid pouch or any adverse reaction… probably because it hurts enough to stop the activity causing it almost immediately.

5 Likes

That’s was a very thorough & destructive test, and a great demonstration on the durability of the biopolymer.
BUT
Did anybody elses heart break :broken_heart: a little watching the FlexNExT with blinkies getting tortured to death :skull: :interrobang:

8 Likes

Man, I knew from your earlier video they were durable, but I never expected you could do that to them. Love these little impromptu “Amal’s Workbench” videos :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Okay, so if I ever decide to place my hand inside a trash compactor, I know most of my blinkies will survive - that’s pretty reassuring! :smiley:
Thanks for that testing, it shows that the implant should really stand anything that might “attack” it in every-day-life. Maaaybe you could put that in the information for professional installers? Because my artist and me literally sat around the implant and just didn’t dare to bend it… :wink:

1 Like

Yes! Exactly this happened to me in the beginning with firm handshakes for example. A lot less now.

1 Like

Thanks.

I am likely being a baby about it. I just keep thinking of my leg and the hell I went through. Shit. I am worried about a small payment one.

1 Like

“Now you have a cool pushbutton effect” LOL!

You could sell icecreams to eskimos man :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Actually I’ve considered making actual subdermal pushbuttons from membrane switches to secure the chip with… basically you need to be pushing the button for it to work… but that’s kinda mooting the point of being convenient. There are other ways to secure things.

1 Like