Fully Digital Passports are a Thing?

I saw a friend start talking about them being able to get the X gender marker on their passport, and I remembered that I look forward to the day we can have a digital passport instead of an easily stolen or damaged paper passport. Last I heard was it’s being thought about, but this article indicates it’s a thing right now. From what I understand about the more ‘typical’ digital passports, it’s basically the original paper thing with a special RFID chip (that apparently has major security flaws and can be easily scanned), and I’m guessing this new digital one is just skipping the paper.

Does anybody have a digital passport or know anything about it, and if so is there some way we could check and see if this could be compatible with an implant of some kind? Would be absolutely amazing to have a passport on an implant.
If nobody has one, I’ll be looking into passport stuff soon and I might be able to enquire about this kind of thing. Maybe a possible project for others to collaborate with me?
https://www.thalesgroup.com/en/markets/digital-identity-and-security/government/passport/virtual-passport
~ Jamie

2 Likes

Many countries use digital passports in the physical paper. It’s done with an NFC tag that is unlocked using optical data from the photo page. The data is signed by the issuing country, so in theory a Java card applet could be created and put onto Apex that would allow the extraction of that data. The validity of the data could be checked by validating the country of issue’s signature… though I don’t think there would be any actual support for this at any border crossing or travel port.

1 Like

Be careful though… there apps on Google play for Android that let you pull this data from your passport’s NFC chip, but the chip has a max tries counter and will fully brick if you fail to give the correct unlocking data 4 times in a row…maybe 5… I forget how many times I tried before bricking the chip in my passport.

2 Likes

Oh damn, that sounds like a problem. Well I think we’ll ask them anyway and see what they say. No harm in asking.

And it seemed rather different the way another article was explaining it, that they could make your phone itself the authenticated passport with some kind of digital certificate and you wouldn’t need a paper passport at all. I can’t find that article anymore, but I would imagine that might be possible to be implemented on the Apex, but I don’t know how digital certificates work.
~ Jamie

1 Like