Getting started with electronics

Always a tad wary of recommending beginners go near old power supplies. He says hypocritically ignoring all the dangerous things he’s canabalised over the last 2 decades.

Admittedly it’s fine if you don’t open them up <_<

Yeah that’s a great way, especially for when you finish your prototype and want to install it somewhere or give it to someone.

4 Likes

Oh I will. I am extremely interested in making the tags themselves also.

1 Like

One extra thing to mention.

If you start of with an Arduino, you won’t need the power stuff as you can use USB to flash them and power them.

2 Likes

@Backpackingvet tbh if you just want to dip your toes in and want to something that you can use with your implants I’d grab these or something similar:

NFC Module (note: with this one the headers are not attached so you would need to solder them on, or find one with headers pre attached)

Arduino Leonardo

Basically a DIY KBR1 kit. That you can customise (it’s what stuff will be based on)

2 Likes

Kinda like, if you scan this, output this?

Yes, infact @Vicarious has an example script of this on his blog somewhere (to hard to find it on my phone right now, I’ll try to remember to update later) that is basically

If tag a: type password 1
If tag b: type password 2

Etc

1 Like

Maybe this was the motivation I need to learn python and stuff also.

Arduino has it’s own quite simple programming language that you would have to use at least for the Leonard I linked above.

1 Like

Well, it is a start then either way. I appreciate the guidance

2 Likes

The great thing about coding is once you get the basics. Moving to another language is very easy. The fundamentals are all the same to some extent.

2 Likes

The other great arduino thing…
It programs from it’s own complete software.
It includes a WHOLE bumch of example codes and projects, that range from , let’s turn this board on, to higher level interactions. All of it is adaptable / reusable code.

It’s one hell of a teaching tool.

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: HF LED Power Bracelet

DT out of stock, which is probably why @NiamhAstra linked to amazon.

But links to DT arduino (when they are back in stock)
PN532 NFC Shield
PN532 Reader/Writer

User Manuals & Datasheets

• Here is a PDF of the user manual for the PN532 kit.
  • The PN532 datasheet can be found here.
  • NXP’s user manual for the PN532 chip is here.
  • Click here for NXP’s Application Note for the PN532

Open Source

Here is the github repository for the PN532 which contains example Arduino code.

2 Likes

We got a wiki somewhere maybe this would be perfect for a page, “at home basic rfid electronics lab”

1 Like

Grab one of These

1 Like

For some reason this,

Keeps making me think of this.

1 Like

Hey, @amal

How about a virtual tour of the new lab space? Once you’ve finished unpacking and recovering of course.

4 Likes

Haha, that’s great.

I wrote the instructions, but Dangerous Minds Podcast isn’t mine :slight_smile:
Here’s the link: https://www.dangerousminds.io/2016/10/24/hello-world/

Vicarious

3 Likes