Getting started with electronics

I suggest putting together a starter kit. Then you expand one skill at a time by tackling projects.

First you need a work area / table. Must have some space, and be well lit. You’ll need space to store a bunch of junk too. (it just keeps growing)

Then…
A soldering iron and solder. I have a mungo sized variable power. But I started with a 40W radio shack pencil type. It’ll do everything you need, and is reasonably priced. Get a Multi-meter too. Stay away from the 10 dollar junk. This is the one item I’d recommend splurging on. Get what you can afford though.

Parts.
Amazon has kits. Get a resistor kit, a capacitor kit and if you’re feeling it, a selection of wire. I recommend 22awg, both stranded and solid. (little spools are fine, stay budget concious until you know what you’ll use.)

Next,
You’re gonna need a power supply. Those can be kinda spendy. BUT>>>> you can build one out of an old PC power supply that will give you 3, 5, and 12 volts. It’s quite accurate and other than some connectors, pretty much free. PLUS it lets you tackle your first project.

If you wanna learn the coding side of it, I reccommend buying an Arduino. It’s a small microcrontoller with a lot of baked in features. It’s also super newbie friendly and well supported. Google “Arduino Projects” and your head will spin. Try to NOT buy a cloned Arduino. Sometimes they can be a little difficult to get thte drivers for.

Then someday, if you keep after it. You’ll have a mess like this.

8 Likes

The power supply I speak of.

Basically you clip off all the wire and rerun them inside the case.
I use connectors like THESE to get the power through the side of the case.

I use 3 red and 1 black to use the most common voltages.
I think I’ve got about 6 of these built. They’re incredibly durable and they end up powering all sorts of projects.

3 Likes

Lol my living room has fold out tabels with that all you listed and more littered across it. Only thing tool wise I’m missing is a good oscope (my multimeters ones crap) and either a reflow oven or hot air gun.

2 Likes

You can pick up some reasonably cheap variable power supplies these days.

And yeah a old PC power supply works but tbh you can get buy with a breadboard USB power adaptor for like 2 bucks at the start.

1 Like

There’s alot of ways to go. I actually have a pile of ac/dc “wall wart” chargers in various voltages that I’v “saved” over the years just in case I want to strip the end off and power something with it. (also a good idea to start scavenging junk electronics, just don’t let it get out of hand.)

The beauty of the PC supply, is it give a good starting point for the work / skill set, and expands the toolbox.

3 Likes

On my phome, so i am not going to quote everyone, but yeah, that looks reasonable, and it seems like I should know relatively soon if I care for it or not. Thanks yall.

1 Like

Always a tad wary of recommending beginners go near old power supplies. He says hypocritically ignoring all the dangerous things he’s canabalised over the last 2 decades.

Admittedly it’s fine if you don’t open them up <_<

Yeah that’s a great way, especially for when you finish your prototype and want to install it somewhere or give it to someone.

4 Likes

Oh I will. I am extremely interested in making the tags themselves also.

1 Like

One extra thing to mention.

If you start of with an Arduino, you won’t need the power stuff as you can use USB to flash them and power them.

2 Likes

@Backpackingvet tbh if you just want to dip your toes in and want to something that you can use with your implants I’d grab these or something similar:

NFC Module (note: with this one the headers are not attached so you would need to solder them on, or find one with headers pre attached)

Arduino Leonardo

Basically a DIY KBR1 kit. That you can customise (it’s what stuff will be based on)

2 Likes

Kinda like, if you scan this, output this?

Yes, infact @Vicarious has an example script of this on his blog somewhere (to hard to find it on my phone right now, I’ll try to remember to update later) that is basically

If tag a: type password 1
If tag b: type password 2

Etc

1 Like

Maybe this was the motivation I need to learn python and stuff also.

Arduino has it’s own quite simple programming language that you would have to use at least for the Leonard I linked above.

1 Like

Well, it is a start then either way. I appreciate the guidance

2 Likes

The great thing about coding is once you get the basics. Moving to another language is very easy. The fundamentals are all the same to some extent.

2 Likes

The other great arduino thing…
It programs from it’s own complete software.
It includes a WHOLE bumch of example codes and projects, that range from , let’s turn this board on, to higher level interactions. All of it is adaptable / reusable code.

It’s one hell of a teaching tool.

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: HF LED Power Bracelet

DT out of stock, which is probably why @NiamhAstra linked to amazon.

But links to DT arduino (when they are back in stock)
PN532 NFC Shield
PN532 Reader/Writer

User Manuals & Datasheets

• Here is a PDF of the user manual for the PN532 kit.
  • The PN532 datasheet can be found here.
  • NXP’s user manual for the PN532 chip is here.
  • Click here for NXP’s Application Note for the PN532

Open Source

Here is the github repository for the PN532 which contains example Arduino code.

2 Likes