Help me choose an implant

Many members here find it advantageous to have 2 HF implants. This is for a few reasons:

1. Multiple UIDs for using readers like the KBR1. It’s a lot nicer to have 2 just in case one gets exposed somewhere (since the NExT and xSIID are fixed-UID), and also just for convenience. I can scan any of my 3 HF implants to log in to my PC, open my RFID safe, etc.

2. When scanned by a phone, only one NDEF record is “active” at a time. So, you can only have one website link, or one vCard, etc. If you have 2 HF implants, you can keep two different sites linked, for example. For me, my xSIID links to a special part of my website, to act as a virtual business card. My NExT I use for my vCard, so anyone with an Android phone can scan it to put my contact info in their phone. This is also useful because if I scan my vCard with my own phone, it puts a copy of my own contact in my phone. Over and over. If I do it without deleting it, I’ll end up with 10 contacts of just myself in my contacts. This makes it really annoying to use for demonstrations (which as an implantee, you tend to do a lot), so it’s really nice having one linked to my website. I can quickly scan that one to show people. I can also throw fun links on my xSIID (Mr. Roboto, Never Gonna Give You Up, etc.), without worrying about resetting it afterwards.

3. This is the least important of the 4, just due to likelihood, but redundancy: While it’s very very rare, implant failures can occur. DT has very high quality control, but you can’t catch everything. It makes me feel a lot better knowing that if one of my implants fail, I can still log in to my desktop (or any other HF access control) without issues.

4. Convenience: This one is simple, but being able to scan either hand is incredibly nice. It can get a bit tiring to have to scan a reader on your right side with your left hand, for example.

2 Likes

You totally could, BUT for just a little more $$ you get everything @darthdomo said PLUS an extra 1kB of storage PLUS if you decide you want more implants in the future, the NExT is a 2in1 implant taking up less valuable real estate in your hand PLUS depending on where you live, with the NExT you may also be entitled to free postage

*Free shipping for qualified orders. Check our shipping policy for more info.

at the end of the day, the choice is yours…I know what I would do

All fine points, but it’s pretty low odds and risk if a UID is “exposed” at least in my case where I’m just using it for a deadbolt. Plus I have no need to share a business card or contact info so that would be pretty much just to demonstrate. Is there any other reason I would need the extra storage?

FTFY

What I meant was how in the hell would someone know I had an implant, get close enough get info from it, aaannnnnd know that it opens my front door to my home. :joy:
I think I’d much more likely just have a forced entry no matter the lock I have.

True, you are probably a low risk target.

It’s only if you are not that it might be an issue.

I mean if I was some high profile billionaire or something I can imagine that would be an issue, but I am far from that lifestyle believe me.

My comment on this is generally if you are worth targeting you probably have various forms of security working in concert and a simple RFID tag sniff is not sufficient to breech that security apparatus. For example, early passports were wide open and the ID could be cloned but the guys with guns that are checking everything out would not be fooled by a clone of someone else’s passport ID.

2 Likes

I think of it like this,
If you dropped your house key :key: in a store and left…

It doesn’t do anyone much good unless they know which house it belongs to

Now if you want to make sure your UID can never be snagged by a determined party…

I think pilgrim can help you out with one of these

3 Likes

My bigger fear is accidentally having it posted online somewhere (i.e. left Twitter open, accidentally scanned my KBR1, bam, my UID is now public).

I don’t make it a secret as to what city I live in. Anyone can use public parcel data from my county’s website, and very quickly find my address if they’re smart. This is the case for a lot of cities. Some keep theirs behind a firewall for county residents, but those are in the minority sadly.

I doubt anyone would ever be determined enough to do so, but you never know with the internet.

This is why ideally, something like a desfire should be used for home access control, but since that’s not often feasible, being able to “burn” one of my UIDs is the next best thing.

I’d rather just use LF at that point honestly, since you can just change the uid

The ntags aren’t really any more secure, they still openly broadcast the uid, it’s just fixed

Wouldn’t even be that hard to change uids routinely if you wanted

I think I’d sacrifice a bit of theoretical security for practical security

1 Like

But you can rekey locks very easily, and while you would have to get keys cut, you could change them out on a periodic basis. With some key technologies (SFIC for example) it is pretty easy to swap out cylinders.

Nobody does it though. Mostly because in an analysis the risk (low) does not justify the cost/nuisance.

Some electronic locks can be set to require both a pin and RFID token, but again it isn’t with the trouble for most people.

Unless you have a specific reason that you are a target (and having over the top security could make you a target) then you just need to make it so that a casual burglar decides your neighbours house is an easier/better target.

As for HF or LF that will depend on things like the hardware you are using, unless you deliberately hunt down a specific solution.

That’s why I push for HMAC-SHA1 authentification where the secret cannot be disclosed, but changed if it is ever needed. Requires a beefy chip though.

Well, you would be better off with SHA2 or SHA3, but as collisions aren’t considered important for HMAC, you should be good.

So the compatibility chart shows no compatible door locks for the xSIID besides an old firmware of the SHS3321. Can anyone explain why high frequency locks that allow you to scan any tag doesn’t work?

Since the LEDs pull power too, chips without LED like the NExT are preferred for locks, as they perform just a little bit better. Couple people had luck (maybe implant depth, idk) and can easily use theirs with an xSIID, but Amal usually recommends otherwise. So you shouldn’t bet it works.

Ah that makes sense, but with that Samsung SHS 3321 lock the product page says “RFID Specifications 13.56MHz RFID ISO14443 A Type” which matches the xSIID so I wonder how the new firmware stops it from reading.

Also remember, it is a living and ever evolving document, just because it is not on there, just means it hasn’t been tested or updated.

If the lock simply “looks” for a UID over ISO14443-A it SHOULD work…

UPDATE you posted before I finished my reply.
To to follow on what you asked, it was a Samsung update that fucked shit up…
All we know is that the Firware rollback works.

1 Like

From my experience with a few locks, if they work with the “TT Lock” app, they should support any hf implant. Those locks only look for the UID of the chip from what I can tell.

Awesome thanks for the tip. That will definitely help with the search.