Help with flex df

I have an old FlexDF that I haven’t installed but now I don’t know if I want to install this one or get the DFv2. What are the differences between the two, and would it be worth buying the version two or should I stick with version one?

How old? Can you supply a photo?

I ordered it February 8th 2019. The order says FlexDF DESFire EV1 8k BETA.

I can also supply a photo after work if that would help.

1 Like

Basically the difference isn’t anything you’d care about most likely. Both are 8kB and if you intend to format the entire thing for use as an NFC NDEF container then there’s no difference at all really.

What kind of benefits would the V2 offer? I haven’t looked too much into what all it can do. But thank you for the fast and helpful response.

Really the differences have to do with key support. The EV1 supports 3DES and the EV2 supports both 3DES and AES. This is inconsequential though when it comes to actual use cases you’d probably be interested in… like NDEF data storage.

I’m sorry if this is getting annoying and I agree I doubt I would need the V2 but I am a curious person and am interested in learning more about technology. If you don’t want to answer feel free not to I understand but, what is the difference between the two keys? Like what kind of thing is the AES capable of that the 3DES isn’t? Again if you are busy or don’t feel like answering no hard feelings.

1 Like

tenor

:stuck_out_tongue:

:arrow_double_down:

https://askanydifference.com/difference-between-aes-and-3des/

I’m sure he’s a busy man making his flexies and stabbies. :slight_smile: Plus he answered my main question that I had so I am a happy camper. Just a curious one as well. Thank you for the link.

1 Like

If you really want to dive into the differences you can cross-check the spec sheets for each chip, which are publicly available. Likewise for the key types… 3DES and AES are just different types of symmetric encryption algorithms.

1 Like

No problem; did it help or have you made a decision?

It did thanks. I decided that I was going to stick with the V1. It was definitely informative and helped with the curiosity aspect of it. I love how it seems there is always someone in this community with the answer to just about anything. But I now have another question about the implant itself. I haven’t opened it however the chlorhexidine seems to have almost entirely evaporated. Is it still safe to implant or is it probably contaminated?

Some more reading for you

Great. Thank you so much for the help.

1 Like