High power implants (eg. heater, screen (rickroll obv))

hear me out, one of these:

on a flex pcb, powered by something like a wireless charger to get enough power, and maybe a speaker?

and another high power idea, a heater element above the veins in the wrist for cold days, sort of like these:

Is this feasible? we could do some even more interesting party tricks with more power, maybe even interactive implants with buttons of some sort (snake or tik-tak-to in my arm?)

3 Likes

In short, with enough focus and money I’m sure those things could be made and made safely but the amount of money and time necessary is impractical.

2 Likes

I want to preface this by saying that this is in good jest, not mocking here (new ideas are how progress is made :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:) , I would love to see an LED array implant, but regarding the heater one…

The idea of having a heating element under my skin, near my veins…

200 (1)
200 (2)

Even though it would be powered wirelessly by a power source I could remove or deactivate, it still scares the hell out of me.

2 Likes

It just doesn’t make much sense, if you have to attach a power source to wireless charge it…then why not just have the whole heating apparatus in the external device. An implant in this use case solves nothing.

Since the idea would be to heat the blood directly as it passes through the veins, in-theory it would be very slightly more efficient to not have to heat the dermis above it. However, any tiny efficiency gain here would almost certainly be immediately stripped away by the losses from powering it inductively.

To be clear, I don’t disagree haha

Yeah ok, maybe not the heater :yum:
but it wireless charging technology feasible in an implant? (What are the differences between the NFC we’re using now, UHF and wireless charging?)

The charger part is but the safe energy storage part isn’t… need new battery chemistries that are robust and won’t explode or offgass or leak when mistreated.

1 Like

Yeah I agree batteries aren’t ready to be implanted, I’m wondering about higher power temporary power delivery

I know people are using Qi chargers to power Raspberry Pi-based PegLegs.

Hi,

How usefull is a Raspberry Pi-based Pegleg?
Recently I was looking for the manual for this but so far I have not received an answer anywhere … anyone here who has more information about it?

http://pegleg.org/

I leave it to you to say how useful that is to you.

This. The use case has to justify the inconvenience. If something could perform better if the device were implanted then yeah go for it with Qi.

I’m trying to make the time to design a minimalist Qi wireless charging receiver for the bodybytes project with the BQ51013A receiver from TI. For some projects it’s worth it, but not most. The convenience factor goes up when you consider many newer phones have reverse wireless charging now to power up their peripherals like True Wireless headphones.

Hmm,
I tried to contact you for the slightly clearer manual, possibly photos and diagrams, but so far no response :confused:

I am sorry, if you are interested in pegleg it is absolutely nothing to do with me. That URL and the piratebox site (pegleg is based on the piratebox software) is all I have to go on.

So, reading through most of the information, you will need a raspberry pi zero w and a qi power module. If you start with the raspberry pi zero, and install piratebox onto it, then follow the directions to get the mesh network running as well then you should just need to attach the qi module. None of this is rocket science.

Once that is done you would need it encapsulated, and installed.

no that’s right, but on another site they talk about soldering a 2nd WiFi :slight_smile:

That is mentioned on the pegleg site, but if you look at the alternate instructions you should be able to configure one wireless interface to act as both a mesh interface and an access point. That removes the need to add the second interface and the capacitor making the whole solution simpler and smaller.

The disadvantage is that the total bandwidth from that single physical interface is shared. Given that this is an implant I think the size savings are definitely worth the reduced bandwidth.

I am not really interested in the pegleg as a device, but I might look into modifying the piratebox image to add the second interface in. I have a raspberry pi zero w sitting here not doing much.

I would definitely be interested :slight_smile:

To be honest, based on this line from pegleg.org I am not sure how important that second interface is.

Once we have complete software that utilizes the mesh network...

So, they are not actually using that extra interface at the moment.

Once you have piratebox set up, it is not meshable, but it is working, so all you need to do is remove all of the unnecessary components, and add the QI module (adafruit have changed the module so it might be less useful as well).

Personally I am not sure I would want to have to use a QI charger whenever I wanted to access my piratebox, so this seems like a solution in search of a problem to me.

why wouldn’t you want to use it?