High power implants (eg. heater, screen (rickroll obv))

I know people are using Qi chargers to power Raspberry Pi-based PegLegs.

Hi,

How usefull is a Raspberry Pi-based Pegleg?
Recently I was looking for the manual for this but so far I have not received an answer anywhere … anyone here who has more information about it?

http://pegleg.org/

I leave it to you to say how useful that is to you.

This. The use case has to justify the inconvenience. If something could perform better if the device were implanted then yeah go for it with Qi.

I’m trying to make the time to design a minimalist Qi wireless charging receiver for the bodybytes project with the BQ51013A receiver from TI. For some projects it’s worth it, but not most. The convenience factor goes up when you consider many newer phones have reverse wireless charging now to power up their peripherals like True Wireless headphones.

Hmm,
I tried to contact you for the slightly clearer manual, possibly photos and diagrams, but so far no response :confused:

I am sorry, if you are interested in pegleg it is absolutely nothing to do with me. That URL and the piratebox site (pegleg is based on the piratebox software) is all I have to go on.

So, reading through most of the information, you will need a raspberry pi zero w and a qi power module. If you start with the raspberry pi zero, and install piratebox onto it, then follow the directions to get the mesh network running as well then you should just need to attach the qi module. None of this is rocket science.

Once that is done you would need it encapsulated, and installed.

no that’s right, but on another site they talk about soldering a 2nd WiFi :slight_smile:

That is mentioned on the pegleg site, but if you look at the alternate instructions you should be able to configure one wireless interface to act as both a mesh interface and an access point. That removes the need to add the second interface and the capacitor making the whole solution simpler and smaller.

The disadvantage is that the total bandwidth from that single physical interface is shared. Given that this is an implant I think the size savings are definitely worth the reduced bandwidth.

I am not really interested in the pegleg as a device, but I might look into modifying the piratebox image to add the second interface in. I have a raspberry pi zero w sitting here not doing much.

I would definitely be interested :slight_smile:

To be honest, based on this line from pegleg.org I am not sure how important that second interface is.

Once we have complete software that utilizes the mesh network...

So, they are not actually using that extra interface at the moment.

Once you have piratebox set up, it is not meshable, but it is working, so all you need to do is remove all of the unnecessary components, and add the QI module (adafruit have changed the module so it might be less useful as well).

Personally I am not sure I would want to have to use a QI charger whenever I wanted to access my piratebox, so this seems like a solution in search of a problem to me.

why wouldn’t you want to use it?

Reading the piratebox website they have changed settings in some of their newer installations so you should make sure that you shut your piratebox down before removing power. Using a qi charger makes that harder. The alternative is implanting a battery (No!).

I have played with piratebox before and most of it’s functionality is pointless to me.

Having checked the main page of piratebox.cc that project is slowly shutting down. Very few of the similar projects are still active.

I really don’t know that I would want to install 3+ year old software in my body, a better option might be to decide what functionality you actually want from it and build your own server to provide just that functionality.

What I mainly think about is data storage
nowadays there are already micro sd cards of 1 or 2 TB and that pi would be the controller.

In which case perhaps piratebox is not the base you want… Identical hardware, but something more akin to owncloud or openmediavault.

The biggest issue will be balancing sd card I/O with the power supply. Ideally you minimize read/write to prolong the life of the SD card, but if the power gets disconnected then you risk losing data.

another idea was an nfc sd card from toshiba but i have the impression that it is end of life

I’ve looked at those nfc SD cards but it seems like you can only “preview” thumbnails of pictures over nfc with their app, and to actually transfer any files you still need to physically connect to the SD card

Like piratebox then… :cry:

I am curious about making a ‘wearable’ battery powered, Qi charging, computer with file storage capabilities. Given that I have some other SBCs I might pull one of them out and give it a shot (the old Chip Pro is about the size of a postage stamp for example), and includes power management and wifi

doesn’t every pacemaker have a battery in it?

Yes, but they are very small, and carefully built so that they can take the amount of off gassing that they do over their lifetime. The amount of power needed by a pacemaker is minimal.

There is an entire other discussion that includes them.

Lithium Batteries in Implants