I want to install a sensing magnet myself

Just to clarify: are we talking about a Titan?
also, the suggested location imposes HEAVY bleeding.
Overall, my suggestion is
no

1 Like

Hasworths magnet. I would lightly cut off circulation for a bit as per tte’s video

Screenshot 2021-01-23 at 04.54.14
I’m a bit worried about the

aspect of the installation. Mainly because I have seen guys bleeding from that arteries going across the finger. Also there is a little space there for pocket, unlike at the fingertip so the chance of a fuck-up (technical term) is increased.

Fingertip might be a much better option for that magnet. AFAIR there is a larger for lifting and a smaller for ‘sensing’. I guess you are opting for a smaller.

Edit: did I mention the nerve running across the side of the finger? Boy, that’s like toothache in the hand, stabbing that with a needle.

i am awarding you one “internet debate won” award.
I am also going to do a fingertip install now

3 Likes

2 Likes

What research have you done on locating Pros or people to assist?

DT Installer map has closest here

The official stance is, of course, “always use a professional.”

It might be worth putting a call out on here and Discord to see if there is in theSan Fran, Bay area :-
Any installer recommendations ( have you rung around )
Have you approached any?

Any community members willing to assist, You may be able to reciprocate
Any contacts ( Friends/family ) of possible medical professionals to approach ( Paramedics, Military medics, Veterinarians, Doctors, Nurses )

As is usual, It is always better with somebody else than to go it solo :wink:

1 Like

I wouldent do it like Cody :grin: but i like the DIY Spirit of cody <3

Im not finding the Vid where a person built a chamber/shelter from some foil and stuff to get a “sterile” place to implant the magnet - i watched it years ago and just cant find it - i think it was a self install too

Being a griner MUST be fun-10

2 Likes

cool cody! thanks for finding that since its unlisted.

I have a scalpel, iodopovidone and sterile towels so I’m already better prepared. Did he keep it in? I faintly remember that gold plating isn’t good enough for magnets or something (and nobody will do my awesome iridium plating idea).

as i recall, he broke it while shoveling or something. still has tiny bits of it in his finger tho, i think

at least he still has all of his finger

If you plan on installing on your fingers, then you will have only one arm.

Not making fun, just hoping you really understand that even for a trained professional it is a very tricky situation!

I would never attempt to do any install in someone else with only one hand! (again) :sweat_smile:

You must also account for the fact that there is a chance you will faint.
A Vasovagal response might kick in unexpectedly, especially if you nick a larger blood vessel or the sudden realization of being alone gives it a boost.

So make sure you are seated and that there are no sharp objects anywhere where your head might land. (you really don’t want to hit that scalpel blade eye first!)

Can it be injected? if so, that is way safer to attempt by yourself.

Read/watch as much as you can ahead of time.

All very, very, good points!!

Item 9 is why I tend to not do my ear-rings myself anymore.

Well spotted.
I got a slash there once that took me all of 20 minutes to reach homeosthasis.

And you can’t apply a steristrip (arguably not even the magnet if you expect a good placement) before that!
(and after 20 minutes your pocket won’t be available to place the magnet)

Hints with equipment:

• Get yourself some sterile gauze
  • Some sterile eye wash can be handy
  • Sterile alcohol swabs for prepping
  • extra steristrips, obviously also sterile
  • get a sterile tongue depressor and some micropore tape: you will want to splint your finger to reduce migration chances

Even if just for the record, but I must repeat: It is not nearly as simple as professionals and videos make it sound like!

That does not mean you will fail. But you will be acting with a much increased risk of things going terribly wrong.

That said, I would be a hypocrite if I were to advocate in against self installs as an absolute rule.

Just please be aware that things can go really terribly wrong, and be on the mindset of “it’s better to fail the implant and still have a finger to try again in a month”. (it amazes me how many self installers/piercers go on with the mindset of “I got to macho up and finish this because I don’t give up, yaddayaddahightestosterone”)

I will probably upload a video on slef-installing the titan sometime soon-ish, btw.

2 Likes

Why eyewash?

That’s just sterilised salty water. Better for rinsing compared to alcohol in some situations.
There might be a lot of blood.

Is that by choice? Chlorhexidine would be a better choice if you can.

it is the easiest way to have some “washing water” that is sterilised and might come in handy.

I am talking about the sterile eye wash thingies which are just water with 0.09% salt, which makes it better at cleaning and more “biocompatible”.

Therefore…

:+1:

Also… I missed that bit:

Agree with @Backpackingvet .

Curious what the reasoning behind this is - its quite common in Australia for pro installers to choose iodine over chlorhexidine. I found limited information directly comparing them, but studies on both that concluded both are effective.

EDIT: Another look returned plenty of studies comparing them that I had missed, yet despite that, some Australian guidelines say that its unclear which is best to use. Very odd, i must have found a bad search term last time… Seems the big difference is that iodine gets deactivated by organic substances where chlorhexidine doesn’t. Basically chlorhexidine has a residual effect protecting the area from contamination after the area is treated, whereas iodine is just as effective initially but still results in higher potential infection rates.

1 Like

Chorihexidine is shown to cause slight nerve damage.

Bit of a derail here...

What do people thinking of installing a magnet in the side of the proximal phalanx? Specifically, I was thinking about getting it on the side of the base of either my pinkie or my ring finger, where there’s some extra space as opposed to the middle of the finger. (I know sensitivity would probably suffer a bit, but I’d retain the use of that finger when rock climbing, so I’ve been considering it instead of putting it in my pinky finger tip and just not using that finger when climbing)

People might be allergic to Iodine and completely unaware.

Not with the use you would be having, of washing/scrubbing your hands and then cleaning it properly.

The stronger side effects such as nerve damage comes from studies about using clorhexidine as a mouthwash or to treat ear infections. Both being poorly advised use-cases.

I use clorhexidine since I begun with piercings, over a decade ago. If scrubbing with it caused any form of nerve damage I would have felt it by now. :wink:

1 Like