Implants just got mentioned on The Modern Rogue!

It’s a really great community. There’s tons of guides, info and people ready help with everything. Welcome.

2 Likes

Update: The chip arrived on Saturday and I just got it installed. Was able to write and read immediately. I expect it to swell a little and could not see the LED (hopefully due to the bandage). But it’s in and I’m stoked. Bracing myself for the static I’ll hear from my church friends.

5 Likes

for me, the xSIID wasn’t visible until the next morning, when i replaced the included bandage with a new one. the one they give you is juuuust thick enough to block the light. the swelling had gone down more by that point, too. so you’ll probably get results by tomorrow!!

(edit: this was supposed to be a response to @ElwinRansom 's recent reply, but something happened that disconnected it. oops.)

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the reply! Do you know which side of the chip the LED is on? Like towards the needle opening or the plunger.

2 Likes

mine was antenna-first, with the LED pointing towards the inside of my hand. sounds like they’ve been semi-randomly inserted, so there’s a chance yours could be the other way around!

2 Likes

Awesome! Welcome, Cyborg.

1 Like

Don’t tell them :zipper_mouth_face:

@amal
Yes… they were all supposed to be loaded so the LED would come out of the needle first… but the ones we did lot testing on were loaded backwards… so the coil came out first… but then we had a customer plan a placement with that information and it appears the LED side came out first… which really annoys me greatly. I’ve already chewed an ear off of someone at our contracted assembly factory… so it appears “most” of them are loaded such that the coil comes out first.
[/quote]

Amal says

4 Likes

They did a follow-up on Scam Stuff where they programmed it to open a YT video.

3 Likes

Thanks! I saw that the other day, seems like they certainly had fun

2 Likes

It was funny talking to the guy who did mine today said he saw a huge increase in doing these right after the video popped. And he hadn’t heard of them

1 Like

No surprise there, it is a good thing. New people bring new ideas / opinions / knowledge / skills

1 Like

Perfect time to get into the community then. Hopefully body piercers all over are going to become familiar with the installs.

1 Like

I hope so. I ended having my wife install mine. She did a good job and studied all the DT material and the Sparkfun video on YouTube. Might have been less painful with a pro, though.

2 Likes

I dont think the pain will be less with a pro. Its pretty simple and as long as your helper doesn’t shudder it’s all the same I think

1 Like

I think she just took longer than someone with more experience would have.

1 Like

It was such a weird feeling. Like you feel the poke then all I could feel was the tube moving around

1 Like

That means the point was progressing in the fascia (correct depth), which is under the nociceptors (pain nerve sensor cells)… but the pacinian (pressure) corpuscles populate the very bottom of the dermal layer, which is why you can feel the pressure of the tube moving around but no pain.

PS, I love this video;

5 Likes

I’ve been curious about implants for a while, but the MR episode definitely gave me a solid shove in the “just do it already, geez” direction, which then led me here. I’ve been friends with Brian and Jason for ages, though being in Canada I don’t get to visit them in person very often. Was super interesting getting their take on it and can’t wait to compare notes with Jason about how much use he gets out of his, ahem upgrade once I get one or two of my own. Soon… so very soon… daydreams about Apex

5 Likes

I used to dream about a safe magnet implant after searching for years and being disappointed, then i saw this episode and looked into it again. I am happy to report that my XG3 is healing nicely and also somwhat works for sensing. I implanted it myself without anesthetic, yea I know, bad idea… But it worked out in my case. Now i’m looking into getting the NeXT chip but I want to find a reliable deadbolt for my house that will work with it first, any suggestions?

2 Likes

I’ve heard about and seen installer booths at defcon but never really looked I to it. When I first saw this video a few weeks ago it was okay I get it and I need this yesterday haha.