Implants just got mentioned on The Modern Rogue!

I guess I am just used to the giant antenna in android phones where I can mash it against anything and it instantly works

2 Likes

Actually the latest iPhone has a very good NFC antenna. It’s just that you have to hold it perpendicular to your hand, i.e. vertically with the top edge against your skin. It took me 5 minutes to find that out, with a friend’s iPhone. I can’t see that being terribly ergonomic, apart from scanning something on a shelf in a store, which is probably why it’s been made that way.

Wait, how are we suppose to scan them with iPhones?

My friends who have them have always struggled to read my spark 2.

There’s currently no VivoKey app available for iPhone, but you can still scan the spark 2 with apps like TagInfo on the iPhone. I don’t think it will just read it from the home screen, because it is expecting a very limited message format (just a single URI record IIRC)

We have been able to scan it from just the home screen, and it take them to the website linked.

It just takes a lot of moving the phone around and what not.

1 Like

You basically stab the top of the iPhone at your implant like you’re cutting it in half with the top of your phone… so if your hand was laying flat and the implant sitting there parallel with the table, then literally standing your iPhone up off your hand, top side down on the implant, is how to get a really good read with iPhone hardware. NFC software support for iPhone… that’s a different, but evolving story.

The Modern Rogue video is what introduced me to biohacking and now I’m hooked. Just signed up for an account on here all of 10 minutes ago and loving it, and will be buying my first implant Friday after I do some more research on chips. Super excited to dive into this forum and the community

12 Likes

It’s a really great community. There’s tons of guides, info and people ready help with everything. Welcome.

2 Likes

Update: The chip arrived on Saturday and I just got it installed. Was able to write and read immediately. I expect it to swell a little and could not see the LED (hopefully due to the bandage). But it’s in and I’m stoked. Bracing myself for the static I’ll hear from my church friends.

5 Likes

for me, the xSIID wasn’t visible until the next morning, when i replaced the included bandage with a new one. the one they give you is juuuust thick enough to block the light. the swelling had gone down more by that point, too. so you’ll probably get results by tomorrow!!

(edit: this was supposed to be a response to @ElwinRansom 's recent reply, but something happened that disconnected it. oops.)

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the reply! Do you know which side of the chip the LED is on? Like towards the needle opening or the plunger.

2 Likes

mine was antenna-first, with the LED pointing towards the inside of my hand. sounds like they’ve been semi-randomly inserted, so there’s a chance yours could be the other way around!

2 Likes

Awesome! Welcome, Cyborg.

1 Like

Don’t tell them :zipper_mouth_face:

@amal
Yes… they were all supposed to be loaded so the LED would come out of the needle first… but the ones we did lot testing on were loaded backwards… so the coil came out first… but then we had a customer plan a placement with that information and it appears the LED side came out first… which really annoys me greatly. I’ve already chewed an ear off of someone at our contracted assembly factory… so it appears “most” of them are loaded such that the coil comes out first.
[/quote]

Amal says

4 Likes

They did a follow-up on Scam Stuff where they programmed it to open a YT video.

3 Likes

Thanks! I saw that the other day, seems like they certainly had fun

2 Likes

It was funny talking to the guy who did mine today said he saw a huge increase in doing these right after the video popped. And he hadn’t heard of them

1 Like

No surprise there, it is a good thing. New people bring new ideas / opinions / knowledge / skills

1 Like

Perfect time to get into the community then. Hopefully body piercers all over are going to become familiar with the installs.

1 Like

I hope so. I ended having my wife install mine. She did a good job and studied all the DT material and the Sparkfun video on YouTube. Might have been less painful with a pro, though.

2 Likes