Improved keyboard wedge

Awesome, just in time for the case :sweat_smile:

Ok, so we can go back to “programing mode” on the m0 and use it to write to the chip?
Being able to chose the location might be helpful (starting block?) (if feasible)

1 Like

Basically the idea is you use something like the serial console in the Arduino IDE, or putty or…

You then press 1 and enter and it switches you into programming mode.

It then asks you for a password, and asks you to repeat it (to make sure you either didn’t typo or typoed twice in the same way and spot).
Then it asks you to put your chip on the reader and press a key. It then searches for an existing password. If it is big enough then it replaces the old password with the new one, otherwise it blanks the old password and writes the new password to a large enough blank area.

2 Likes

Thats great :+1:
So as long as the password is placed where we want, it will write the new password at the same location (if size permits)?

Also, trying to put an “assembly guide” together, and found one of my stl is flipped :upside_down_face:

Has anyone tried to use an MF-RC522 with an x series implant? I have tested with cards, keytags, buttons, and rings, no problems.

I can get it to light a diagnostic card.

I can’t get it to light an x field detector.

Does your xFD work fine with your phone?

He posted this about it and I suspect that a Proxmark could better benchmark than a phone:

My question was really because he’s having issues with the proxmark3 and I’m wondering if his xFD is just garbage

1 Like

I got a nice bright light from the phone (a pixel 4a 5g) when I tried it (I’ve been out since I posted).

I get better illumination with the proxmark3 with more careful positioning, but still not as bright as the phone.

I can’t get the mfrc522 or the door lock to illuminate it, although I can read a dual frequency ring with both.

1 Like

Hmm :confused:

Well, I have read a number of threads on here and the RC522 is apparently not nearly as good at reading X series as the PN532 particularly this one

So, I guess I finish my code and then rewrite it for the PN532. (I may write a compatibility layer so that I don’t need to maintain two versions).

The PN532 is also about four times the price of the RC522 so I would suggest if you are not looking at reading an x-series implant you might want to use the current version.

Edited to add: the compatibility layer will of course be made available just like the rest of the software. My current work is suggesting a full refactoring of the code is probably a good idea (I know. That’s not the agile way, but this is my project, so I can do what I want. :unicorn_clap_clap: )

1 Like

Can you give examples of use?

I have a prototype and software development model hooked up to my work laptop.

I use a keyfob with a password stored on it to login to work computers.

Whenever I am required to enter my password I just tap the reader with the keyfob and I am done.

Changes might happen to free up some I/O ports so that it is easy to convert to an access controller instead.

1 Like

Just got a PN532 and started to work on an enclosure …
Looking forward to testing the PN532 reader version.

I’ve just ordered one, so expect a week or so delay.

2 Likes

I’ve packed the current version up as a release (release v2021.10.31) and I am going to be working on preparing for the arrival of a PN532 module.

No new features will be added at the moment, but if anyone wants to request some the GitHub issues list allows for bug reports and feature requests. I have a few in their already but feel free to add more if you have any.

I just noticed that @Nightwalker was using this with an XNT presumably without issues) so perhaps my MFRC522 is faulty, or my XFD is marginal, or he just has a better implant and reader.

Either way, when I start adding new features again I hope to be able to add them for either reader.

1 Like

The xFD does require more power than an NTAG216. But this also turns it into a great tool for making sure that something will work with an x series and where to place to implant.

1 Like

Yes I can confirm my MFRC522 is reading my implanted XNT with 100% reliability, it is working great. I haven’t put the reader into a plastic case yet (which I’m going to do soon - I’ve 3D printed one).

Thank you so much for your efforts developing this and offering to support both readers. :clap: It sounds like that compatibility layer you mentioned will be a good idea and will help in the long run.

I’m enjoying watching this project progress and I’m hoping to develop my version of the setup along and then share when I can. I’ve 3D printed this case, which is meant for a Arduino Nano but will afford plenty of space for the M0. If I get time to get it in there and re-wired I’ll share pics and the experience with that case.

1 Like

Never soon™ enough but here it is.
The enclosure for the RC522:

2 Likes

The current version works, but might have issues with X Series.

Version 2 will have the option of a different (better but more expensive) reader module.

While there are improvements to be made this project is unlikely to ever be “done”. (Unless I get bored when it is “good enough” and nobody else wants to work on it)

1 Like

It’s possible your request is overlooked or forgotten, but you can keep upto date with activity in this thread by doing this