June 2022 VivoKey Apex Flex update

Is there any possibility of being able to store a larger NDEF? The largest an NDEF can be is 128kb, but obviously the Apex only has ~88kb. The NDEF applet only allows up to 16kb, but or even 48kb would be nice.

edit: Interestingly the github repo does say up to 32kb

What would be the benefit of have 64kB over have 16kB?

I have some encrypted data that I would like to be able to keep on me at all times, around ~30kb.

The issue with such large data sizes is speed. It would take minutes to transfer that much data. Technically 32kB is possible but the code would need to be changed to address enough blocks for that.

Just to double-check and make sure I understand, and to beat this dead horse about payments further into the ground, this means that whenever MasterCard or Visa decide to allow this technology for payments, it will be possible to pay with the implant. But, I would also have to talk to my bank about this and they would need to approve? Or, do I talk directly with MC/Visa? Or can I manually transfer my existing debit card into the Apex Flex, and never use the card?

I’ll be getting the Apex Flex just for the 2FA and other existing features alone, but it would be a lie if I said payment isn’t an important part of this as well.

This post from amal should clarify: Walletmor & VivoKey

They (the payment networks like MC/Visa) would not only have to approve of implants in general but also specifically approve Apex Flex as a payment device. This is possible, but not likely, simply because of the size of it and its placement procedure. Still, anything is possible.

The next step after payment network approval, VivoKey would need to approach the bank with Fidesmo and get the bank to approve Fidesmo Pay as a token requestor for their customer credit card accounts. Once approved and connected on the back-end, you could tokenize a credit card with that bank to the Apex Flex. Direct bank account tokenizations via debit cards are not yet supported, but it is in the works.

2 Likes

Apex Flex install video!

3 Likes

knife edges man… so rough a spot. congrats though. at first i thought he didn’t go deep enough with the needle, but clearly he had no problem inserting it. if no suture, be really sure it is sitting deep enough so when the pocket starts to heal and closes up a bit like a zipper from the back end moving forward, that it doesn’t push the end of the apex up against or just right out of the incision site.

2 Likes

If any bank does end up approving it I’d honestly change banks to be able to use it for payments.

9 Likes

Oh god lol. I’m going to be using saniderm to seal the wound, hopefully that will keep it from exiting.

1 Like

Can the apex flex be implanted using the needle in a hand? I was hoping to get my flex implanted in the knife edge, but when I went to the installer who installed my xSIID they advised that because of the depth required they could only really do forearm

Yes.

1 Like

The needle is quite large, and we do not recommend the knife edge of the hand for multiple reasons. However, people have put it between the ring finger and little finger metacarpals on the back of the hand before, using the included 4 gauge needle.

If you’re professional is not comfortable placing the Apex Flex in that location, then I would defer to their expertise. Your hand might not be the good candidate, which only your professional can assess by personally inspecting the size of your hand in the vasculature.

1 Like

My installer flattened the needle a fair amount for the install. He said he used one of those needles without doing that first and it was a really rough install.

Enso SLC?

I always thought that would be a better shape, i still think a scalpel and skin spreader thing would be best.

Also curious of if it was in SLC. That’s what they did with mine and it was great!

It was Enso in SLC :smile:

He did a good job. It’s healed up nicely.

2 Likes

Maybe from the installers point of view, and personally only on my first (no lube) did it appear to be a struggle for the installer.

I have had 5, The other 4 were also fine for the person who installed mine (different person) and lube was used.

From me being on the recieving end I had no problem whatsoever with any of them.