June 2022 VivoKey Apex Flex update

It could easily be done but we’re not allowed to have nice things

:heart: I have my hack diary of the process on hackaday Tesla Chip implant process .

9 Likes

Welcome back

6 Likes

Ha! I can empathize with this. I had a collection of hate mail, death threats and other fun stories when I got my implant. One person called me Electric Jesus hahahahaha!

7 Likes

I hope you took that as a nickname! Sounds badass.

3 Likes

5:31

4 Likes

Found an example of this in the real.

I’m starting to realise the Apex is actually a very old idea made new in a sense, and I wonder has anyone tried something like this before?

What I mean is that smart cards and NFC have existed for a long time, but have been the domain of government entities or payments companies and Apex seems to be an attempt to democratise that.

Am I way off the mark?

1 Like

That’s a weird way of saying “making it implantable”… These technologies have made their way into the market in many ways but so far, it’s been easier for each company to issue a separate card altogether. Fidesmo is addressing this and Amal is adding more features and making implantable options available.

Hopefully, credit card processors will get less paranoid about implants one day…

4 Likes

Hahaha yes ok,

I just don’t think many people would consider having a ‘super cyber’ multi app smart card in their wallet to do all the things Apex will be able to do, so this seems different somehow, even though as you rightly point out it’s just that it’s implanted really.

1 Like

Every german citizen has one already, we basically have Apex IDs, but all the good stuff like PGP was removed cuz (conspiracy theory incoming) “they” realized giving everyone simple strong cryptography is bad. Then they invented PostIdent :’)

3 Likes

I’m trying to decide if I want to get the apex, but I have a small question. Is it technically able to support payments? Say one day Mastercard agrees to enable it, would I be able to use it? Or would I need a new apex with special keys preloaded?

The currently available Apex has the MasterCard keys loaded into the ROM mask already. If MasterCard decided to allow implantable payment you would not need a new one. It could be activated by deploying an applet from your phone

1 Like

Oh nice! What about other payment processors like visa?

I would imagine if you’re going through the trouble of provisioning the chips in a secure facility, you may be able to get it provisioned for multiple payment schemes. I’m not certain in this case though.

I spoke with Amal, and he said that it should work with other payment processors as long as Fidesmo supports it. But also that it was highly unlikely they would allow it, which is unfortunate.

I sure hope they do… I’m thinking about offering an Apex Card with payment features enabled so you can simply have a single card for all the applications Apex can run. I might even get one for my wallet just as a backup.

Yes MC and Visa payment applets are both on the chip at this time.

14 Likes

Yes fair point,

I guess what I mean is that it’s not something people really consider at this point, not that it wouldn’t be useful!

1 Like

PS. I definitely want an Apex Card. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Ditto in case you are working out whether there will be a market for them.

7 Likes

I would definitely buy this as a secure backup in addition to the ring

3 Likes