June 2022 VivoKey Apex Flex update

I still have the original flex in my forearm, unfortunately it’s been bricked for almost a year. I’m so excited to finally be able to replace it and put the new one to good use! This looks amazing!

1 Like

I used to be apprehensive about flex implants but now I want to get a NExT for R0 and an Apex Flex for R4… And I’ll probably end up with an xM1 in L5

It’s a rabbit hole, isn’t it?

5 Likes

Hi @amal so pleased you have managed to continue the “hike” and get us to this point.

As one of the original beta programme members I was literally a day away from implanting the original flex when you notified us about the bricking issue. So a near miss!

I have the new flex here with me now. Looks great!

Unfortunately in the interim UK law appears to have changed and I can’t get the implant done here in the United Kingdom by the people I have used in the past in Manchester “Holier than Thou” from your website partner recommendations page back in the day

(Somebody please correct me if there’s a way to get this done in the UK!)

So I appear to need to travel to the EU… I can’t see your implanter recommendation page on the website any more.

Can somebody give me some idea of who might be easiest for me to travel to / contact to get this put in?

Thanks!

Alex

I think there are some people around here who live in the UK and might have some ideas about who could (still) do it.

If there is no way to get it done in the UK, I can recommend my installer in Cologne, Germany - he installed my flexNExT as well as the Titan and a silicone subdermal and is definitely qualified and willing to do such stuff :wink:

2 Likes

I’ll probably be hitting up your installer when I get my hands on an Apex down the line. I’ll just use it as an excuse to visit family in that neck of the woods.

2 Likes

Have you checked out KSEC?

2 Likes

In case you want to travel to Stockholm, I highly recommend Calm Body mod. They have lots of experience in doing some very complicated body modifications and installing different sorts of implants with great result and their service is amazing. Check out their page on Facebook, calm body mod.

1 Like

Ah yes! Thanks - I did talk to Kai back in 2021 in regard to the WalletMor implant. Will take another look at the KSEC collab. site and reach out!

1 Like

@KaiCastledine Does give updates on the forum here from time to time so he might be able to give some info about current installers he’s been in contact with.

2 Likes

We have our partner list here: https://cyborg.ksecsolutions.com/cyborg-centers-worldwide/

2 Likes

Thanks @KaiCastledine, all. Am booked in on Saturday with Piercings By Tim. Exciting times!

2 Likes

As far as i know in the UK the law never changed - it was just a conviction to a piercer/tattoo artist for GBH for performing some ‘bodymods’ shed light on the laws as they stand and caused people to change their practice.
Tattoos and piercings are defined in UK law and are protected - they don’t require specific qualifications but do require the practitioner to adhere to a strict set of rules.
Any ‘bodymods’ that arent tattoos or piercings including subdermal implants are not defined in the current laws leaving them in a grey area - a subdermal implant could (would?) be seen as a minor surgical procedure and would require the installer to be qualified to do so or open themselves up for legal repercussions.

1 Like

That’s really interesting to know - thanks @sgtreckless !

Implant went in today. Super impressed.

Can somebody introduce me to whoever is looking at the key store application?

Also what would you recommend for an NFC USB reader for me to play with?

Thanks!

Alex

6 Likes

I can not wait! I joined the DT club too late to pre order the apex but I’ve been checking everyday. I have a titan, spark 2 in my cart already and just waiting to add the apex to hit the order button!

2 Likes

You’ll need Amal to confirm things, but I believe at the moment, The hardware is on Pre-release, like you are lucky enough to have.
Then public sales will be after the Beta and DT Club orders have been filled.

When I checked my Fidesmo account, ( you can make your phone a wearable to login) there are only a few VK applets currently available.

• NDEF (various size containers to choose from)
  • OTP
  • Tesla NAK
  • Go : Nordics (Swedish public transport)

BUT

many more in the pipeline.

Including KeyPass

If you currently have a VK account with a Spark, you won’t be able to connect your Apex at this stage, as this is also a part of the whole new ReVamp

Again, just a summise

3 Likes

4 Likes

So the keypass project will likely be collapsed into our efforts with our FIDO2 app release, or our yubico hmac-sha1 OTP app release since there are already Keypass implementations that support them. No need to re-invent the wheel if we can get where we’re going on the wheels already available to us.

8 Likes

So I have 25 years in embedded coding. Commercially we work closely with NXP and have done since the Motorola/Freescale years from i.MX53 through 6, 7ULP and we’re about to bring to market an I.MX8M Mini board.

We’ve been putting NXP SE050 root of trust chips on our boards to secure IoT comms for a few years now and the P71 looks similar but more fun.

I’m super keen to work with you folks on root of trust for authentication and encryption rather than recreate the wheel myself

Also and for a bit of marketing I’d love to be able to say I was your 100th or 10th or whatever Apex Flex implant… In the future this is going to be like a low Slashdot number :grin:

3 Likes

is the dev kit on the store ( VivoKey Dev Kit) the same p71 as commisioned in the apex flex or is this an older version? i see the p40 card is still listed