Long live the new flesh - finally got the flexNExT under my skin

Is the rotation predictable or semi consistent between people? If so then it might be easier to just offset it when you install and let it rotate to where you want it

Don’t know about @Az_F, but mine turned counter-clockwise for about… dunno, 5-10° for now. It did not move closer to the suture, so just rotating around its axis.

Same but about 45° total

What about a shape like this;

The black dot is the 41mm original size and the grey “fins” are “anti-rotation” fins? Total size could be limited to around 57mm or so… not a huge shape difference but enough to still slide through the same size incision.

another option like what Rosco mentioned is we offer a little loop for sutures;

The problem with both of these approaches is that the LEDs will likely be situated in a certain way in the implant, but the customer may want them positioned under the skin such that the oval shape or suture loop would need to be located in a less than ideal position. This is why I was wanting to explore ideas that had no rotational or ornamentational bias… like the scalloping approach.

My experience has been that most artists do not separate enough tissue, and the pocket does remain tight, at least in certain spots, around the implant. What happens next is swelling and fluid build-up which creates an opportunity for the implant to float. I think with the scalloping and proper aftercare (low pressure bandaging, elevation, anti-inflammatory meds, etc.) it could be a good solution… but there is still room for error that could allow for rotation to occur.

I’m not sure if that’s far enough away from a circle or if it might still move… but it should stay in place better than the round one, yes.
What about a circle with two (or even three or four) “flaps”, maybe 3mm wide and 5-10mm long, on opposing sides? Made of biopolymer with no chip inside, they would bend really easy, so the artist could create a pocket for them to nestle in and it wouldn’t move at all (in theory…).

Yep, that might be another thing to consider, and in that case the approach with dissolving stitches or even glue (if such a thing exists, I have no idea honestly) would be best…
On the other hand, two little flaps sticking out would still fit even into my hand, because they would be very soft and flexible, so they wouldn’t disturb much, I think, as long as they’re not above the knuckles…

The only concern i have about flaps is that they end up curling up or deforming inside the pocket from pressure the tissue puts on them, or an installer not making enough room for them under the dermis and they get folded up. That would create cavities where blood doesn’t flow so well (or maybe not at all) and the inevitable biofouling that could occur there could mean serious medical complications. Malicious bacteria roam freely around the body and are mostly ignored, but once they have a place to safely set up shop, they will establish a colony and create biofilms to mask their presence from white blood cells, and start kicking out all kinds of junk proteins and waste that can cause serious illness and in some cases even death.

Since those flexies are usually not self-installed (at least I hope so…) this should (!) not be a problem - every professional should know how to implant them correctly. Maybe there is a way to make them a little more “stiff”, so they take back their original shape after installing faster. Then the rest depends on the customer and his choice of bodmod-artist or doctor…

The whole biofouling-thing might be a problem with a loop or a little hole as well, I’m afraid - especially if it is so small, I don’t think skin would re-attach through that… or would it?

Wouldn’t a reuleaux triangle be similar to the flaps on each side while still making it omnidirectional in the placement you want without drastically changing the shape? I’d post a pic if what I mean but I’m still figuring out the forums and I’m on my phone.

It just seems simpler to me while fixing all the issues but I don’t know anything about this

1 Like

should being the operative word… but it’s a very small margin for error here… either you go too big and the flaps are useless anyway, or you go too small and it’s tight against the flaps. I’ve separated tissue myself and let me say that it’s not like anything… basically it’s like trying to make a precise design pushing around rubber cement… tissue stretches and gives way and bounces back and separates in odd ways like stretching around your dermal elevator like a forcing a big guy to walk through a bead curtain, so when you retract your tool it basically closes up right behind it and your implant can’t get through… it’s tough to be precise with your tissue separations.

No not really because the tissue will grow through the hole along the vertical plane… the concern is that basically the flap flips over on itself creating a kind of surf tunnel around which your body will try to grow and scar up and basically there will be a little void inside with stuff floating around in there that has no vasculature and no real good flow or interaction with the body’s waste management system or clean up crews.

so like

hmm… maybe?

like this?

that could work i suppose!

1 Like

There are tons of other 2d solids of constant width. I was just about to mention that!

What about a little room with blur for the implants to create a big round light, so there’s no rotation?

1 Like

Exactly like that

Yep, I’m aware of that… it really depends on how experienced the person doing this actually is…

I know it usually does, I’m just not sure how small the hole can be before the body decides not to grow through it^^
But that triangle-thingy looks interesting… it should offer enough edges for the skin to grip on by only slightly increasing size…

1 Like

440px-Reuleaux_polygons.svg

1 Like

How about sth like this?
flexidea
White ring is the antenna.
Would it work? There would be no issues with curling flaps.
Or this gap between antenna and end of an implant can’t be smaller like that?

And yes I know my paint skills are amazing

2 Likes

It would fixate well after healing, but during healing time, it would float around as well - unless you put sth through the holes :wink:

Yeah, I was still thinking about the sutures to keep it in place.

Hey, what did he say by the way?

I think this would be easy and result in the least increase in size, but yeah would require sutures to hold in place.

1 Like

Idk what body modders are capable of doing but adding sutures inside the your hand feels like it’s approaching doctor or surgeon level especially if you consider that I’ve seen a lot that can’t even do basic stitches properly on a consistent basis idk if I’d trust them to do this unless I know for sure they’re really good. I’d rather it just rotates then potentially complicate healing or cause other issues