M31 revival? Not yet, just letting you know though

3 Likes

Not sure what this was in response to, but I understand you’re gonna get Ti-coated magnets then? Did you strike a deal with that UK maker?

Would there be any benefit to titanium coating compared to polymer? AFAK its just more sense-ititve. Can you really expect it to stay for ~30 years?

It’s not really a coating. Imagine that you made two tiny cup shaped sheetmetal halves from titanium metal. Then put a magnet between them, and laser weld them together.

No holes, no porosity.
Also not deposited or coated.

Not yet but basically if this goes forward then that’s what they will be, is all I meant.

Yes exactly. A coating would be something like TiN we tried before where there is some form of adherence to the surface of the object being coated, like paint. Silicone and polymer and resins and even the titanium casings we are exploring are encapsulants. They do not adhere, they create an envelope around it. This is one reason why silicone needs to be so thick, because it does not adhere to the surface of the magnet and that means it’s physical robustness relies entirely on its own physical structure.

Ok so… things progressed a little today. Waiting on some final details and exploring crowdfunding extensions for ye olde ecommerce shoppie.

I started making some crap images for the pending crowdfunding effort, and I’ve been naming the files “lil-tito”… so for now that’s the working name… “lil tito” :slight_smile: hahah

1 Like

Just gonna leave this here @anon3825968

Gosh dang it @amal! You’ve done it again! I’m trying to figure out how to get $1000 by next week lmao.
Btw, has anyone reached out to any big name piercers? I feel like they could help increase the order quantity quite a bit.
Also.

How about Titan series? Ti + Greek myth = dope as hell.

1 Like

A thousand smackers. My my… I’m glad I’m not interested in a sensing magnet :slight_smile:

How did you arrive at that figure by the way?

Lol, Rosco you should read the thread, then all these things that are confusing you would make sense. Amal quoted out the titanium encased magnets at roughly $500 a piece. Looks like Moonman wants 2 so $1000. There’s also a completely separate unrelated magnet that is the old M31 leftovers but encapsulated in the flex biopolymer, which were the origin of the thread and have not been prototyped enough for sales.

1 Like

I did read the thread - and the $500 pricetag for the titanium version. I missed that he wanted two of them though. I thought he was talking about a single device.

8 Likes

Will do by time, but mine is currently too busy and soon on his (well-deserved) vacation - I’ll contact him afterwards. We’ll meet again on october 10th (waaah, next funny thing done to my body - sooo excited!), so if that is not too late, I might just convince him in person :wink:
I guess he’ll burst out his coffee when he hears about the price, though^^ But he’ll happily put it in my body anyway…

As long as that list doesn’t include Steve Haworth (he’s a testy lil rascal), or Samppa Von Cyborg (he’s kind of a crap human being), then go for it.

Interesting comment. Care to elaborate?

Oh just when we came out with the m31, I was going to BMX net bodymod and APP conferences with them, and a simple analysis of “silicone encased magnets” and their flaws… not naming names or anything… but he… let’s say he wasn’t happy. Many years ago at BMX I tried to reach out and ask him if he wanted to work together on some things and he said something to the effect of “absolutely not, you’re taking food from my babies mouths” and walked off… only to realize a minute later that he doesn’t have any kids.

Actually, coming out with magnets really ruffled a lot of feathers in the bodmod community to be honest… it’s the primary reason Samppa showed his true colors to me as well, claiming all biohackers are trash and we should “stay out of our industry”… then he promptly starts buying shitty chinese nfc chips and slapping a Samppa sticker on them and then makes a point to try to go through our partner map and tell them not to work with DT and to buy his crappy knockoff chips instead… just a lot of childish behavior all around.

1 Like

I see.

I’m always amazed to see that however small a community is, there’s still drama and shit going on. In fact, it seems to me the smaller the community, the more drama for some reason :slight_smile:

Well, all I can say is, too bad everybody can’t work together. Given how small the market is, it would be in everybody’s interest - vendors’ and customers’ alike - to pool resources instead of going it alone each in their own little corner.

This is true because the social standing of each member of that small community is so dis-congruent. The larger the group, the smoother the transition of social standing is from person to person… but in the case of Steve or Samppa, they are both pretty “big deals” in body mod… and body mod is an industry where you set your price based on your reputation, so they are both pretty vicious about protecting their station.