Magnets! Magnets! Magnets! 🧲 ( R&D )

Well if you hit muscle you have gone too deep. So :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That - and additionally, looking at the size of these things, it would definitely be a cut-dermal-elevator-suture-like install, and the palm of the hand might separate really bad (at least compared to the back of the hand, arm, whatever). Except for the place below the thumb, there is also no real spot where something of that size could sit comfortably without being moved and squished all the time.

I wonder if you could deploy them as a distributed network kind of thing. The whole sixth sense thing is based of brain plasticity eventually figuring it out and recognizing a new input. But I have a sense of touch over my entire body.

Imagine, putting 20+ magnets across the scope of your body. A couple in the hands, shoulders, chest, thighs, calves, etc. Would the brain be able to integrate them into a whole body sensation? Not only feeling fields, but sensing where they come from? Would having more sensation points, but in lower nerve density areas make up for the lower nerve density / sensation?

Just a curiosity thought. Still it makes me wonder.

1 Like

It’s not quite on that scale, but one of the ideas Cass had with his arrays was to polarize them differently, for a more “3D” sense. I don’t know if he ever followed it, but it seemed like a cool thought.

My concern with a full body array (other than the cost and healing) would be accidentally sticking to things. Like you wouldn’t be able to sit on a metal stool or lawn chair for more than 20 minutes at a time without risking some serious issues.

2 Likes

Just thinking out loud here. This is NOT really possible.

What if… You had a million microbead magnets. High power to mass ratio, but almost no mass.

This is NOT really possible.

Insert them everywhere. Put 'em in with a tatoo gun. Once it quit hurting, what would that be like.

giphy (24)

4 Likes

it would probably make your skin feel how that magnetic field viewing paper looks…

magnet-ew

4 Likes

Great.
Now I have to buy some of that to play with.

I wonder if you put it on belly or other tickle spots, how would it feel when near a large AC motor (or anything where you can feel strong magnetic field)?

tenor (33)
I am soooo helpful.
You’re welcome

7 Likes

I see your skinned elmo and raise you this

https://youtu.be/Q8QlNuTUe4M

1 Like

Last I was taught. 4 hours without blood flow before real issues start. I doubt they would have enough pull, through clothing, for it to be an issue. It would start to itch and get unbearable before real damage would occur I feel. I would be more concerned about having an MRI and getting burned jnternally.

I will get a sensing magnet, in my finger, as I can tape it down. Still looking for thT diamond coated one, anyone have a lead?
No? Go figure.

I have huge hands, I could comfortably fit the XG3 in my fingers near the proximal phalanx bone. (Middle bone) but still not sure if it is worth it. It would be better for tricks there I feel.

Ahh, Michael Reeves and the trigger me Elmo… Good times

1 Like

I have 2 magnets from Steve Haworth implanted in the fingertips, for several years. No problem with them, they buzz nicely with motors and anti-theft gates in shops, but I can’t lift a lot with them. A few nails or needles, 1 1-eurocent coin (only with 1 of the 2 magnets, the other one has migrated too deep), …

Any idea what he was using? I didn’t ask at the time.

1 Like

I pulled my 20 minutes number from Haworth’s Magnet FAQ

I’m getting my Haworth next Thursday, if all goes well. One of my friends wanted to get chipped, but was looking to go through the experience with someone else, figured it was time for another implant while I wait for the Apex. I’d been waiting years for something like a reliable TiN, but any magnet is better than no magnet.

Haworth? He uses Nickel plated N52 magnets coated in silicone. It’s also on the FAQ linked above

3 Likes

Indeed. Here are his magnets.

1 Like

Rosco brought this up in another thread, and I thought it deserved to be here.

Basically rare earth magnets in a laser welded titanium “can”.

Ah yes sorry, I should have posted it here maybe. TBH I was more interested in the wetware part of it (anchoring method to the muscles) than the magnets themselves. But yes, I suppose it belongs here.

1 Like

So why not a flat one? I’m thinking of a magnetic film (0.1-0.3mm) in a flex like format. If the biopolymer used in the flexnext for example can be made thin enough the volume ratio might be good. And it sounds easier to coat :man_shrugging: I don’t know if neodymium can be made thin enough though, or maybe in a pouder form to keep flexibility? Also where would the poles be?

Good thought, but that would be tough. If you could get someone to fabricate a sheet like that at N52 strengths, it would be very brittle. This could cause sharp edges to perforate the biopolymer, and the now multiple separate magnets would likely repel each other and pull the implant apart.

Also, the strength would be negligible. The thickness of a permanent magnet in the axis of the dipole plays a much greater role in the field strength than the width, because all the aligned domains are reinforcing each other. K&J Magnetics has a good calculator. Outside the skin (~4mm away) the field strength would drop off to less than 0.05lbs. (0.8mm thickness is the smallest they make)