Magnets! Magnets! Magnets! 🧲 ( R&D )

That’s if the pole is on the face, also does it really matter for sensing?

Can they be ultrasonic welded? I know little of titanium.

I know little of ultrasonic welding.

Titanium is a grey-ish metal. It burns EXTREMELY hot. But can be kinda hard to ignite. Very strong, and much more flexible / elastic than it would seem given it’s strength. Back when I was still machining, I kinda hated it. You could run a reamer down a hole, and get a hole smaller than the reamer. The Titanium would expand some as the cutting edge pushed on it, and close up behind it. The same could be said of facemilling / endmilling, etc. Always had to take lots of spring passes if you were holding tight tolerances.

I had to machine a pure tungsten part once. Nothing fancy, just a small cylindrical counterweight a few millimiters in diameter and in length. That turned out to be a whole afternoon job. Titanium felt positively easy compared to that stuff…

not likely… usually the horns for such things work great with plastics, polymers, etc. but I’ve not really heard much about welding metal, especially to other metal.

1 Like

i put an xg3 in the tip of my left ring finger, just to the side of the gripping surface. Very worth it in my opinion.

For sensing?

Speaking of sensing Amal, out of curiosity, can you give us some details about the construction of the reputedly “not that good for sensing” xG3 vs a proper sensing magnet? In particular, the mass of the magnet proper vs the whole (or the glass alone) and the diameter of the magnet vs the diameter of the glass?

I’m curious how much - or how little - extra mass / extra distance from the magnet it takes to dull out the sensations.

1 Like

How sensitive is it?

Somebody WILL correct me, I’m sure. But…

I don’t think you’d get good sensing from an uncoated xG3. (ignoring safety for this ex.) The coating mass hurts it to be sure, but the overall mass is too high to be sensitive to the relatively tight rapid vibrations in magnetic fields caused by A/C power. It’s the old woofer vs tweeter argument.

In other words it’s not just the magnet mass vs coating mass ratio that’s the problem.

The total mass needs to be low enough to get a good vibration going. The coating becomes a problem with low mass magnets because it eats up a significant portion of the low mass, leaving not enough room left to contain a sufficiently powerful magnet.

1 Like

The diameter of the glass is 3mm and the diameter of the magnet is 2.4mm. The length of the magnet is 12mm. The glass itself weighs 0.09g and the finished xG3 with magnet and resin weighs (on average) 0.73g

5 Likes

Thanks!

It strikes me as if it’s not so much the performance “drag” of the non-magnetic bits (glass and epoxy) as much as the size of the magnet itself that makes the xG3 less suitable for sensing. It’s significantly larger, and therefore has more inertia, than a bona fide sensing magnet doesn’t it? Wouldn’t it be possible to encase a smaller magnet in glass, or is it too difficult technically?

1 Like

I’m not fat! I just have big implants!

3 Likes

Wouldn’t it be possible to encase a smaller magnet in glass, or is it too difficult technically?

This is what I was wondering. There must be additional technical difficulties in coating a smaller magnet or someone would have done it years ago. What exactly goes into coating things in the glass the xG3 is coated in?

It’s not easy, and even if you did do it the

total mass : magnetic mass ratio

would be extremely low

Exactly

I was more thinking about CVD glass coating, rather than a laser-sealed tube.

I’ve only ever heard of cvd coatings applied to glass, not glass cvd onto other shit.

Okay. Well that’s just something that popped in my head. I know nothing about that particular process really.

I suppose I meant “something other than using a thick glass tube and sealing it”. Like possibly wrapping the magnet with very thin glass fiber or powder and firing it for a few seconds: with any luck, the glass will fuse before the magnet gets destroyed. Or maybe a process that shoots molten glass onto the magnet.

No idea if things like that exist. I figured you of all people probably researched it.

1 Like

The problem with heating the glass to melting point, I think in the vicinity of 800°C it is the temperature for a magnet to loose magnetism depending on the type of magnet.

Not researched so I’m am likely wrong, but regardless, :fire: and :magnet: = :no_entry_sign:

Another guess here, but 800°C is Probably about 32,000°F :wink: in “freedom units” :us:

DAMN IT
Felt compelled to do research now ( First results, therefore not very thorough )

• Glass melting is performed at temperatures between 700°C and 800 °C

• 800 °Celsius = 1,472 °Fahrenheit

• Regular neodymium magnets are strongest operating up to temperatures of 80°C

Geez I wasn’t even close on the neodymium magnets, but I do know they make hight Temperature neodymium magnets, Gah… more research

• For neodymium magnets , this temperature is very high , typically above 900°C to 1000°C.

That must have been what I remembered ( Still wrong )

That depends on how long you expose the magnet. You may well expose it to 5,000 degrees if it’s only for a few milliseconds. If what you want is coat the magnet with as thin a film of glass as possible, it might just be doable.