Meet-up/Biohacking Convention Idea

I do like the idea of Hawaii though… maybe not the main island, and maybe not doing the tourist thing there but renting out a house for a weekend and we do a biohacker cookout kind of thing?

I like those months… February or March would be pretty good actually. For me anyway.

3 Likes

Now that sounds like a lot of fun

3 Likes

Yeah I think that’s the kind of spirit of the event I want to hold… not like a conference or some kind of corporate thing.

If Hawaii really is more central to everyone, I’ll start looking for some decent places to rent in those months.

1 Like

Ok who might be able to attend Biohacker Weekend in Hawaii in February or March? The idea is that we create a pot to cover shared housing and basic grocery store food for a weekend (arrive Friday night, fly home Sunday evening).

I realize you won’t be able to confirm or commit, I’m just trying to get an idea of the possible number of people interested. Step two will be to find accommodation for that many people at least, price it out, then we can figure out some costing from there and set a price per person. Then we will collect money and make the reservation and it’ll be on!

• Count me in!
  • Sorry, can’t :frowning:

0 voters

I understand that we are trying to accommodate people from other continents but that’s still going to be a bit spendy for me…

I’ll FaceTime I guess

1 Like

I don’t think I could do Hawaii on a Friday to Sunday - would be a long flight time (although admittedly not as long as Oceania to Iceland) / [probably] an expensive flight for a weekender.

Does it make sense to do middle of the week with work at all?

The majority of attendees I am assuming will be from the USA

There are a only couple of Kiwis and a few more Aussies that may be interested.

Depending on the other Australasians interest, and the viability of Hawaii for everybody else, Please don’t give any consideration to me and my timetable, just ignore me.

Pilgrim makes a good point. Maybe we need to know who will actually come before looking at a location? If it is just USA people then Hawaii may not be the best move. Pretty much everywhere sucks in terms of flight times from Au/NZ anyway.

I could maybe do late March and don’t care whether during the week or a weekend. I would just add on a short holiday to make the trip justifiable given the flight times.

Where would people be coming from?

• North America
  • South America
  • Europe
  • Down unda’

0 voters

Unfortunately as a broke college student, don’t think I’ll be able to attend this time 🥲 Can’t wait to see pics tho (however I will be in New Orleans early April if anyone lives there and wants to grab a drink)

don’t you mean late February for Mardi Gras :interrobang:

1 Like

Hawaii not feasible for me from Europe. 22h in 3 flights and very expensive. I could have made Iceland possibly.

1 Like

Sorry. I looked at flights from Germany. Maybe vote in the latest poll so we can work out who may come and then work up possibilities. Iceland for anyone from Australia and New Zealand is well over 24 hours.

I can’t speak to anyone else but my schedule is pretty flexible.

Use nautical miles, there’s no need for freedom units or restriction units when there’s something that actually makes sense. 1 minute of latitude is a nautical mile.

2 Likes

I was initially optimistic, but after seeing flight prices to Hawaii, imma have to take a raincheck.

1 Like

Been there this year - it’s the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen, but there are definitely no incentives needed to get tourists there. I don’t have numbers from 2022, but in 2015 there were already about 20 times more tourists than inhabitants (6.5 million vs. 300.000 people who live there), and numbers are rising (set aside all that corona trouble, of course).
Most “famous” places are really crowded, especially in summer, and even off-season I had many spots where there were tons of people. If you plan on going there in winter, it will be more quiet (except for those people hunting northern lights), but anything outside of Reykjavík might be hard to reach due to weather / road conditions.

Anyway, I see it’s more about Hawaii now, but I just thought I’ll drop that here :wink:

1 Like

It really is a paradise - an expensive paradise, but amazing nonetheless haha. I went for the first time in 2014 before they had a huge tourism boom and things were relatively inexpensive. When I came back in 2017 after the increase in tourism I was kind of astounded by how large of an impact it had on their economy - things were much more expensive. Still the best hot dogs in the universe though, which I say as a born and bred New Yorker. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

It is…

First place ever where I could imagine to live, aside from where I am now :wink:

And yes, crazy expensive - I had a really amazing brownie (with vanilla icecream, some fresh fruit and all that) for about 14 €… definitely not something for every day :smile:
Though I must say, I went there in september, and I was really surprised by how many quiet places I found. It’s basically insanely crowded at the usual hotspots, and if you make two steps aside, there is nobody there. Plus, the people there are really cool and friendly, definitely a mentality I can get along with.

3 Likes