More lab ideas I'm workin through

I’ve got such an implant (and I love it, yes^^), it has healed enough to glow very nice during the night (so “UV-charging” with daylight works fine).
Some time ago, I bought a (pretty cheap…) UV-flashlight, simply to show it off during daytime, and your post reminded me to try that out again. It makes my UV-nailpolish shine a LOT. It makes my old glow-in-the-dark-lightswitch glow a lot. It doesn’t do anything at all with my implant :smiley:

Okay, the implant is nearly 8 weeks old now, maybe in a few month, it will work with it… but until now, I’d say I either got a very bad flashlight or the UV-rays don’t make their way through skin well enough.

1 Like

Is you implant fluorescent or phosporescent? The former transforms UV into visible light (but doesn’t glow on its own) while the latter “charges up” on visible light and re-emits it in the dark, but does not involve UVs. Only the latter is called “glow in the dark”.

From what you describe, your implant is phosphorescent (it must be because UVs don’t reach under the skin), while your nail polish is fluorescent.

You will more likely burn your skin if you keep trying to use a UV light to charge it. The uv light would have to be in the implant.

I am not sure how I would feel if it wasn’t all covered by resin either. Don’t need internal cancer growing.

Yes it is, but usually those glow-in-the-dark-thingies glow quite a lot when exposed to a UV-lamp of some sort, that’s why I tried my flashlight on the lightswitch as well - it’s one of those 70s-switches that glow in the dark, so you can find it when you want to raid your kitchen at night.
I just wanted to make the point that UV-activated glow powder might not work well under the skin, while simple phosphorescent stuff definitely works.

That’s what I thought, and what might be difficult - there are UV-LEDs, but I’m really not sure if those should be implanted… the skin is (amongst other useful things) there to protect us from UV-rays, might be not so good to have them inside.

At the moment there are some significant limitations to the material I use when it comes to larger devices, and the materials I would likely use for larger devices have their own issues. One of the biggest issues for most materials is actually water absorption and saturation. Some of the toughest resins turn to rubber when exposed to water long enough. It makes encapsulation of larger devices for permanent implantation difficult.

Of course it could be explored, and I would totally walk down this path with you, but my creative spurts here in the lab were really just a matter of shaking off the cobwebs and flexing those creative muscles one last time before deep diving into the next product development cycle. This next one is a big deal and I won’t be doing much of anything else for a while, particularly in the lab. These things I posted here were things I tinkered on here and there for a while and these are the results, of which I’m still not sure will make it on to The Lab product page or not.

1 Like

Okay thanks. Sounds like I probably should leave you be for your next projects instead of wasting your time :slight_smile:

definitely not a waste of time… just need to prioritize. I put some notes together on other encapsulation ideas to follow up on when I have a chuck of “creative time” available to me.

1 Like

H as anyone tried to put the fluorescent resin inside the implant and see if it lights up under the skin?

I think @coma has a silicone implant with the glow resin inside

Coma has a phosphorecent implant (not RFID, just cosmetic). It’s a Steve Haworth thing. You can see the picture of it she posted here:

1 Like

Yep - to be honest, I don’t know what glowy stuff exactly is in my implant… when it was outside of my body, I could see a faint layer of non-glowing silicone around the whole implant, so the glowy stuff is not in direct contact with my body. I guess it might just be silicone mixed with glowpowder? Got no clue :woman_shrugging: :wink:

1 Like

Does it say “Made in Chernobyl” somewhere in the user’s manual? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Don’t know if I like that… I kinda want one of those but not sure anymore.

1 Like

Wait, let me look that up…
*scrolling an imaginative user’s manual *

Nah, guess it’s all safe, I trust my artist, my artist trusts Steve, think that’s enough for me^^

Hm? Why that? It’s glowing fine nevertheless^^

I must admit I want one too - and goodness knows I’m not normally attracted to cosmetic stuff. But the volume of it puts me off. I’d really want anything I implant to be invisible in normal conditions, and that thing sticks out like a nun in a whorehouse.

Having said that, I have a friggin’ hole in my arm now. So joke’s on me…

2 Likes

So, I still can’t bite the bullet and buy a glowing one from him. I want one so bad, but I just wish they had more options.

I know what you’re talking about… I want some more glowing implants as well, but the stars are too flat (for where I want them), so… well. My artist is contacting him for some custom work, but this might take ages :wink:

Hm, maybe the flat little stars would be ideal for you - I can’t use them, simply because they would be invisible, for they are too flat. They would be visible on ears, fingers or face only, I suppose, on every other part of the body, the skin would be too thick. But they should still be visible when glowing.

Yeah that’s an option. The problem is the little stars themselves: I don’t want to turn into My Little Pony :slight_smile:

Would look sooooo cute :star_struck:

Ahem. Okay, I get that - but there is a tiny little power button as well, maybe that’s something for you? :wink:

Well let me think about it. I actually have another idea that’s more technical and a lot more luminous. But I’m waiting for some test samples I can put in a frozen chicken to validate the idea before asking Amal if he can turn it into a magic DT goop implant.

1 Like