MRI support needed!

Okay will do! Thanks again for all of your suggestions

I would ask them whether they’re afraid for the machine or for you. If it’s the latter, I’d offer to scan a spatchcock with a XLed detector in it, to reassure them.

Long and short of it is whatever we say is immaterial if they say no or want it removed thats that. Your health is not worth you saying no never is.

The main point if they have an MRI then they must have a wand (at least they have to in the UK) if they are concerned they can use the wand to check whether it will be an issue. The thing with the implants is if it isn’t a magnet then you are almost certainly going to have zero reaction.

I have said I will once I have disposable money pay to get an MRI on video with my implants to prove there is no issue.

@Devilclarke I’ll do you one better, if I have any free time on my upcoming night shifts I’ll pop down to radiology and see if they can scan my Spark or NExT.

4 Likes

If you have an ultrasound available, I have been curious as to what that imaging looks like also.

Paying for Healthcare? Might be my ignorance, but I thought that was free.

Thank you all for your support and advice. It’s looking like they’ll actually go forward with the MRI without removing my xLED! I’ll have them run the wand over it just in case. If any other issues arise i’ll post about it here, but for the moment it looks like we’re in the clear!

6 Likes

Get well.

It might be pushing it, and definitely wait until afterwards the procedure; but if you could document what you can with them!
and it could almost be used as “case law”
Plus it may save yourself and others the hassle in the future

Aren’t junior doctors usually looking for something to get published on? Might be an opportunity for a legit medical paper that could prevent this kind of thing from being a problem in the future. One more source to consult.

You’ve never lived in the UK :slight_smile: If you want fast, decent healthcare there, you go private - or you drive over to France.

4 Likes

It’s nice to have access to medical equipment. Me, I tried to get my hands x-rayed a few times, and I can’t get nobody to do it: the radiologists say they need a prescription from a doctor, and the doctors say I don’t need it so they won’t prescribe it.

That makes sense. Thanks!

I simply say “look, I have implants and I want to see if they are ok, have migrated, .etc.” and that gets me the script

4 Likes

Good advice. Didn’t think about that. I was brutally honest and told them I wanted a nice picture :slight_smile:

That is normally the case but I’ll see what they say. Would be interesting to find out what the protocol is is the UK at least with implants.

yeah! so the interesting thing is that they’re going to pass my case onto the general etc. to save others from the hassle if they need an MRI. UCSF said i’m the first they’ve seen with any type of “chip”, but being in the Bay Area (in California) I don’t doubt that they’ll start to see more of these implants! The MRI still hasn’t been done, but i’ll update everyone here on what the ultimate decision is regarding the xLED and how the MRI goes!

3 Likes

Sounds like they are avoiding having to make a call by shoving you on someone else if you ask me

Yes but not if I want an MRI for no reason :rofl:

Not worth taking the chance. It may be destroyed anyway by induced electromagnetic currents. May overheat or worse…
Or it may fly into an artery, tendon, nerve, etc.
If there’s anything magnetic in it not being firmly anchored to bone means it can roam.

If you need an MRI you have bigger fish to fry; this should be the last worry on your mind.
People have been maimed and killed by these machines because they thought the rules didn’t apply to them or didn’t think about the dangers at all.

Might try a radiology technology school (Pima Medical or comparable). Cut medical practice out of the equation…