MRI support needed!

Do you have a source for this?

What’s inside the implant? What do very intense fields of electromagnetic radiation do to unshielded electrical circuits? The implant also has an antenna…

1 Like

I understand that. But from Amal,

Q: Are x-series transponders compatible with MRI machines?

A: Yes. We have had past customers with both xEM (125KHz) and xM1 (13.56MHz) tags go through MRI machines of the 1T, 1.5T, and 3T strengths just fine. There is blurring of the image around the area of the tag, but the tag itself does not heat up or explode or get “ripped out”. Also, the MythBusters were kind enough to prove this for us in season 5, episode 19 (MythBusters Revolution) by installing a 134KHz VeriChip transponder into both a piece of a pig and Kari Byron, and running them both through an MRI scan. You can clearly see the image distortion in the episode if you’re interested in seeing what it does to the MRI image.

Here is a PubMed article on RFID transponder compatibility with MRI machines up to 3T; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23763334 – Functionality of veterinary identification microchips following low-field (0.5 tesla) and high-field (3 tesla) magnetic resonance imaging.

There is also an MRI Safety website entry for the commercial VeriChip, sold between 2004 and 2010, to which our transponders are extremely similar.

Finally, we have our own MRI safety documentation for our x-series transponders that can be supplied to your healthcare provider if you are having issues getting an MRI done because of concerns about your x-series implant.

5 Likes

Lovely, god save the implant.
And death smiled.

Fortunately either way it’s not my arse.
Thanks for the laugh but the joke is on (in) you.

1 Like

Lol wtf are you talking about. People have had MRIs with these RFID implants in. Dogs and cats have them all the time.

2 Likes

Its blackhawk they appear every now and then spout shit then disappear again, remember the lead vs lead free solder “discussion”…

1 Like

It sure is on and in me. Science is hilarious!

I will greet that bitch with an open handed slap. Get outta here with your fear mongering. If you want to have meaningful conversation, we can. At least bring more than your faith and an argument based off what you think is to be real.

3 Likes

Doesn’t the ferrite core interact with the MRI machine’s field? It is ferromagnetic, so it would stand to reason that the patient should feel some pull. Also, if the implant is not DT and hollow, it might move inside the glas vial and break the leads.

Mythbusters already covered this;

Edit: I see this has been previously referenced, but here’s the linked video.

R.I.P. Grant.

6 Likes

Do people often pronounce it “R-FID”? I’ve heard it a few times and it has always taking me a few moments to understand what they meant. I’ve always only ever heard it as R-F-I-D

1 Like

yeah… it is irritating… but… I guess it’s similar to saying CD-ROM as SEE DEE ROM where you spell out CD and say “rom”… still, stop it… I hate R-FID.

2 Likes

We are the knights who say, RFID.

4 Likes

Now where did I put my NFC-enabled shrubbery… :thinking:

1 Like

I’m just off the phone with a doc (they do consultations over the phone here in Finland) and explained that I had two implants that were acting up, one in each hand, and that I needed an x-ray of both my hands to check if the antennas looked broken or something.

Amazingly, the guy knew what I was talking about. Well, he didn’t know about Flex implants, but he’s chipped his pet dog himself, so at least I didn’t spend two hours explaining. But disappointingly, his answer was: " If you know they’re acting up, have them taken out. You don’t need an x-ray."

Er… yeah, the logic is flawless. Can’t fault him there.
Damn Finns - so practical and down to earth. I gotta rethink my strategy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now would be the time to build a homemade X-ray machine :wink:

2 Likes

I have a feeling it might be harder to procure silver photographic film than a gamma ray source these days :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No need, just use a scintillation screen :slight_smile:

haha “acting up” … yeah… I was careful to just say “I want to check on them” and not indicate there actually was a problem :slight_smile:

That doesn’t fly here. I tried that line with the doc I went to to have my doNExT arm checked out on Monday, and that went something like “Do you have issues with 'em?” - “Nah, just general checkup, to see if they shifted” - “No issues, no xrays”.

The broken antenna line hinted that there might be bits of glass inside my hands also - hence the need to have a proper look at the state of things. But yesterday’s doc didn’t take the bait (and the 5 minute phone call cost me 34 euros too :slight_smile:)

I have to think of a situation where an xray would be needed but the implants work. I’m thinking stinging sensation, and I want to check if the implant is chafing against a bone or something. Trouble is, they’re perfectly visible from the outside, and easy to manipulate. So I bet the doc would simply move them about and ask me if it hurts - and no xrays needed either then.

It’s one perk of private healthcare systems… not a lot of bullshit when you want something done. My wife is from Canada and they flat out refused to tell her her blood type. Just refused. Asked if she’s pregnant, she said no, then they said you don’t need to know then. We bought a $10 drop test off Amazon and got the info we wanted. It blew my mind that they refused to disclose her own medical data to her… insane.

Can’t you just look at them and be like “gimme x-ray or you’ll be the one needing an x-ray.” ? That work?

1 Like