My DIY LED tag....well the electronics anyway

Haven’t seen you for a while, you were a part of the great Modern Rogue surge of 2020, :wink: Welcome back.
You’ve missed a whole bunch of stuff; Whilst the world was recoiling at a great number of horrible things, We have been reveling in the Product announcements from Amal our messiah.

You have quite a bit of catching up to do. Enjoy

3 Likes

Thank’s pal. It’s been shit year for sure. Been thinking about if I am brave enough for a magnet implant. Also very much into all the flex stuff. Don’t really know what I would do with them, just have an itch to be cut.

1 Like

This is absolutely incredible! @PaulT are you still working on these?

2 Likes

I 100% agree with you! I just found this thread thanks to your comment! @PaulT I am humbled by your badass work!

1 Like

Wasn’t sure whether to post this here or in My DIY LED tag....well the electronics anyway -

I’ve recently gotten some of Paul T’s implants -

The red and the blue ones aren’t actually that much dimmer than the green, I was just struggling to get all three of them to couple with my PM3 easy at once :rofl:. The green is the brightest however, followed by the blue and then the red one. Quite happy with the brightness out of the body, but I’ve also never seen an xLED / xSIID outside of the body so kinda hard to compare brightness until I implant one.

I’m hoping that I can arrange for a consultation with my installer re installing one of these shortly, as obviously they don’t come in an injector. Goal is to put the green one in R0 I think, since other than an xSeries Apex, I’m not sure what else I’d want in that position, and even then there’s always knifes edge or other positions in my hands.

BTW, for anyone wanting one - I wouldn’t advise buying one without understanding any potential downsides of these implants (as well as their features too :slight_smile:). They also aren’t cheap (they’re the most expensive RFID implant I currently know of). Despite that, I’m choosing to implant one, and I know the risks. Remember, I’m sure that DT is also working on re-engineering blinkies for their flex implants since the NFC fingernail options were discontinued / the flexNExT was discontinued, even if it’s a bit down on the priority list due to Apex focus. If anyone really wants to get some of these, feel free to DM me with any questions.

Some observations and info so far:

• There are 8 patterns, including one with all LEDs off
  • Poor coupling / low power results in pattern 1 rather than the chosen pattern (it’s a feature due to hardware voltage requirements)
  • There is a slight flicker noticeable on some patterns, notably the all LEDs on pattern, due to the POV used to reduce power consumption while maintaining reasonable brightness

I’ve yet to try writing a short NDEF record which doesn’t overlap the config bytes, nor a longer one which does overlap the config bytes. I’ll try that before I implant them, to work out the limitations of them compared to the xSIID (they NFC chip is the same). I should probably look at the CC, lock bytes etc too :thinking: :unicorn_thinking:.

8 Likes

Post the Taginfo!

How do people do those super long screenshots :rofl: - 2k bytes or 512 pages of data is a few screenshots

This looks very interesting! Can’t wait to see how it works under the skin :wink:

there are screen shot stitching apps, or you can do it manually on the pc :slight_smile:

On my phone (oneplus 7) you swipe down with three fingers to take a screenshot. Then in the bottom right corner is a button that says “expanded screenshot” you tap on that and it scrolls the screen until you tap again.

Don’t even bother with all that. Just use the button in the top right to email it to yourself and copy the relevant text into a post with three tildas in a line at the beginning to create a scrollable code block

“~~~”

code block

more code block

yet more code block
1 Like

Now I’m curious :slight_smile:
Are features, risk factors and price publicly available?
Looking at the vials, I cannot figure out how they are encapsulated, which makes my bionerd self even more curious.

Looks to be glass / resin filled similar to an x series but much larger

Problem will likely be there are many types and qualities of glass and resin and glass seal method that will determine how safe or recommended it is, and not all of this is easily determined or verifiable
(Trust but verify)

1 Like

Correct, and same with the following point (it’s actually not much bigger though). I will say, Paul has been extremely patient with all of my questions, I’m pretty sure I wrote over 1000 words to him over the course of a few emails, and I’m pretty sure he answered almost every single question.

I’m the sort of person who’d get an xGLO if that gives you any idea of my comfort level with risks :man_shrugging:t2:.

1 Like

Do you feel comfortable mentioning a price?
You mentioned it’s fairly expensive, just curious

I’m curious about his implant, but in fairness… he kinda came out of nowhere, so I’d like to make sure his materials and what not are good and not China

Honestly on some level I have just implicitly trust Amal, he’s put out a decent amount of data,
But truth be told, I haven’t / can’t verify that it’s actually the glass he says it is, short of sending it out to a lab myself… which isn’t realistic

But I find it hard to do the same with Paul since he’s
Unknown to me (maybe he’s been doing this stuff for years but I haven’t seen or read anything. Where as Amal has been publicly talking about stuff for years… so there’s a bit more “reputation”

But I understand there a fine line between trade secrets, and reveling safety information, so I understand it’s tricky

None of this is to disparage Paul, but a long winded way of saying I’m curious, but I want to know more and have a sense of trust first

Yes, we need the deets!

Ok, so a member has tested the resonant peak of someone else’s implant’s antenna and they seem quite high (above 14MHz), and also looked at the antennas and they aren’t totally consistent. Here are some pics of the antennas in two of my implants:

The sealing actually looks really really high quality, though it is flame sealed. I believe it’s Schott glass, and the sealing procedure was from communication with them (and the quality seems to reflect that).

At this stage, the main thing I’m concerned about is the coupling, though the skins capacitance will bring the resonant peak down.

Some pics of the sealing under the microscope from Paul himself:

Look really really consistent, with no blobbing like we’ve seen from some other RFID implant manufacturers.

1 Like

Bought this one off @pac . I can’t get a consistent read because the LEDs draw too much power and the tuning is pretty off. Dim with the ACR and bright with the Pixel 3a

2 Likes

I just can’t get over how absolutely massive those implants are. It seems to me like it would have been better to be coated in @amal’s special goop. Lower profile and the LEDs could be pointed out all the time instead of possibly getting turned the wrong way.

2 Likes