My lung implant :)

The question I keep asking myself over and over is: why is it that every little thing on the internet invariably ends up in minor drama?

1 Like

You know why. People don’t have enough drama in their day-to-day to satisfy, but they don’t want to start shit with actual people face to face because there’s consequences. Starting something on the internet is a low risk way to scratch that itch. It’s little brain all the way.

4 Likes

Negative. My little brain is wholly preoccupied with pretty girls.

4 Likes

Just my two cents.

I see no reason to doubt the claim, he hasn’t shown any other propensity for attention seeking. As some said, it is technically possible even if very unlikely.

There’s no reason to be concerned with fear that it may cause. Implants are a choice everyone makes and everyone is clearly told, as with anything to do with the body, that there are risks involved. If FUD is such a big deal then arm yourself with facts. Does anyone know where to find the statistics on complications with other similarly sized implants?

For example, with regard to the implanted contraceptive mentioned above - out of the presumed thousands upon thousands of times it’s been used how many times has it traveled like this? Once? Find the stats and you can prove that this is extremely rare.

Also, if for nothing else this shows that even with a quite rare complication that the results are not at all harmful. So that’s also a win.

1 Like

Also, as a side thought, being from a medical adminstrative background I suggest @Sourpunk, or any admins here who can, to scrub the personally identifiable information from the x-ray pictures any any other media in which PII appears.

2 Likes

I would agree to this. @Sourpunk if you are alright with it, pm me photos and I can do it tomorrow at work if you don’t have the ability.

I would say I am extremely fascinated by the imagery, and I would ask you do this so we can keep a record of it.

Also, I have been thinking. For all the skeptics who cast doubt on here, we always ask for an xray in the other thread. This person produced them, and there is still skepticism.

What my question is that I am getting at is, if someone in that thread posted the xray of what they had, and you could see it, would that also take a medical report to convince you?

3 Likes

I think in this case were some “red flags” combined… a very unlikely (though obviously not impossible) story, totally suitable (not saying that this was his intention!) for fearmongering. Already happened here a few times.
A very defensive, sometimes straight rude person who posted it, along with some sentences usually used more in the “conspiracy-thread”.
And, maybe most important, it was his first post ever - so anything in the area of “you got my word” is, sorry to say that, worth little on the wild wild interwebs. I mean, if a regular poster here talks about some strange stuff that happened, we all here are more likely to believe it, at least if that person usually came across as a reasonable, “trustworthy” one. Simply because nobody takes the effort to gain the trust of a forum community just to make them believe some strange stuff…

I’d say, if you post a very unlikely (though not impossible) story on the internet, be prepared to be confronted with scepticism. Overreacting like he did will do little to help your cause, no matter how understandable it may be.

And I want to put that clear - people here were sceptic, but not rude at all. Nobody attacked him, nobody said “hey, you are totally lying!”, all we asked for was a bit more information to prove his claims. And I think that’s okay.

5 Likes

Device embolization is a very rare but serious event that is thought to occur when a device is inadvertently placed intravascularly into a superficial upper extremity vein, most frequently the basilic vein [2]. Intravascular placement is estimated to occur at a rate of 1.3-per-million Nexplanon insertions [3]. Embolization events may be clinically silent and are typically discovered at the time of attempted device removal when the device is not palpable at the original insertion site. A more extensive search ensues with radiography of the upper extremity and chest.

4 Likes

Well, I wasn’t signaling anyone out for anything. Also, my question remained unanswered with your response.

Take all the interaction aside from this thread, that isn’t my main point. Sure, dude was rude, and reading through, the interactions could have been better.

I was just thinking about it, and reading through the “Mindreading” thread, along with Amals post about it. I guess I was just wondering to myself, that here we have a person who produced said Xray, and there was still skepticism after. So… What would it take, besides a medical report to convince someone coming to the thread with these claims? Or is his Xray and stuff enough here?

Tbf the xray ain’t exactly clear and the ct shows a radioopaqe item in the lung area. I dont think anyone said it was impossible I personally would want it removed or read or a significant clearer image before I would say sure that’s an implant but I really not that worried about whether it is or isn’t.

3 Likes

Sorry, I totally missed that. (not actually paying much attention to this thread to be honest)

So…

I think that question is kind of moot.

I don’t need to be convinced, just as much as nothing would convince me.

This is the internet, so my default mindset is to disregard fantastic claims unless I trust the individual already (basically for the same many reasons @Coma mentioned very well on her last post)

That doesn’t mean I think less of the person. Doesn’t mean I think they’re lying. There is a plethora of reasons why that could not be true which are unrelated to the person saying lies.

So… what changes my mind?
What makes me trust some people from their first post onwards?

• That individual’s posture.
  • The way they post.
  • The way they react to skepticism.
  • Are they rude/arrogant? or are they humble?
  • Are they confident? or defensive?
  • is there any personal gain for the individual? is there a cost to make it be fake?

etc, etc…
Just lots of small things unrelated to the claims themselves.

And in that sense, as @Coma already pointed out, not only we had loads of red flags, but OP’s reactions only pushed me further down the skeptical mindset.

Also, I never asked OP to post anything. I merely pointed out that his posture of “I don’t need to prove it to you” when confronting skeptical posts would not help him change those individuals minds.

Although… even if it wasn’t for any of that…

And now not claiming this has anything to do with OP’s story:

• If an individual tells me he inhaled a seed and a tree grew on his lungs, I will not believe.
  • He can post an x-ray, and whatever he wants, showing a branch inside a lung.
  • assuming the x-ray doesn’t look like it’s an obvious fake, I won’t doubt the X-ray, but I could still doubt his claims. why?
  • because the x-ray proves that a branch was found in a lung. and that’s as far as it goes. it does not prove the branch grew from a seed, and it does not prove the lung belongs to the person posting it.

Again, this has nothing to do with OP’s story. it’s just an exercise in logic to answer @Backpackingvet’s question.

Although for that matter, I must agree with this:

(I was actually amongst the first ones to jump in answering stuff about how possible that was)

Also…

Totally agree with that. (And all that post)

2 Likes

It does read quite a bit like a 419 scam email. I honestly thought that’s where it was going.

Do you take my advice for next time?

If you think someone is lying, pretend to believe and feed the talk, sooner or later the lyer will contradict himself.
Trying to confront him won’t help anything, since liers don’t need to be convinced they are lying, they know :wink:

Every individual in this planet is unique and will react differently in the same situation

Jacob Levy Moreno defined empathy below:

A meeting of two: eye to eye, face to face.
And when you are near I will tear your eyes out
and place them instead of mine,
and you will tear my eyes out
and will place them instead of yours,
then I will look at me with mine.

So I try to put myself in the shoes of an IT professional reading this fantastic thread. I wouldn’t believe it either. Does that mean I have to publically implie someone is lying, with zero evidence? No

In a different situation in another context, someone who publicly implie someone is lying, and that implicates in the damage of the honor or business credibility of the accused, the accusator could be invited to a police department to present proof of accusation, facing prosecution if don’t do so.

So internet is not really this outlaw place you try to picture.

Now please I invite you to put yourself in my shoes:

Artist, psychologist, activist, who does everything fullhearted and is respected among family and friends for always telling the true and always orienting all actions towards common well being. Polyamory because I believe we should be truthful to our emotions and be as frank as possible to each other, who wanted to take down the video from YouTube because wouldn’t dare lying to my son if he asked what does that mean.

Suddenly, without any evidence, several people implied I am lying (which for me makes no difference at all to saying "you are lying ") or that the doctors of the biggest cities of my country has no idea of what they are doing.

I admitt I was rude a couple times and apologize, but that was just me reflecting the vibrations I received.

Do you really think I over reacted?

This is where things went sideways, I think.

No one implied you were telling lies.
You were the first one to jump on the defensive acting as if people were calling you a liar.

They were not. they were just stating they did not believe that with so little evidence.

(not attacking you here, just attempting to make sure everything is as clear as can be)

also, on that note…

You are correct there.
But between you buying his lie and he hanging himself, there is harm which can be done.

This is a public forum on a topic which is already controversial, on a thread which could quickly jump from an “innocent tale” into a “fearmongering urban legend”.

We got reporters coming to this forum in search of news. A lot.

So pardon me if I disagree with you there (although I do agree with that same posture in less public settings).

I think here I could have attempted better at making sure I was putting myself in your shoes.

I jumped in every time the critiques were becoming personal, I defended the possibility of what you said happening being real/possible. I jumped in defending you parenting (I really think that was prime parenting.)…

Being skeptical about a story has nothing to do with thinking less about you.

The other day I told @RyuuzakiJulio a story. I was 100% sure it was true.

He corrected me and shown me the story I told him was not true.

Instead of feeling bad about it, I felt thankful! He had shown me I had a misconception, which happens to be quite common.

Did I feel a bit ashamed? sure! but I never thought he was accusing me of telling lies!

First, the onus of evidence falls on the storyteller, not on the audience.

Secondly, In the end it boils down to:

• Saying that “I need more proof” is not the same thing as stating “this is a lie”
  • Saying “this is a lie” does not imply that “you are lying”

(as per the example I shared above. My story was a lie, but I was not lying)

Yes.

I can understand why, though.
I can understand that this is an emotional story for you…

But no matter how justified you were… I still don’t see people attacking you.

3 Likes

You must understand people: your story is quite out of the ordinary, and 95% of the internet is fantastical bullshit. It’s a good sign that people question the veracity of what you say: it means you joined a forum of people who apply critical thinking. That’s rare enough on the internet.

I personally believe you, because I have no real reason not to, and because the medical aspect of it checks out as far as I can tell. Also, as I explained before, even if I’ve been took, your story yields good advice anyway. But I can understand that others are more cautious. Put yourself in their shoes: I realize it must be frustrating for you, but perhaps you’d react similarly if you were the one reading the story and not writing it.

3 Likes

No worries, and me either really.

I would agree I don’t need to be convinced either. I am just struggling to articulate the question correctly.

Kind of all I was getting at. I appreciate your response. This whole thread just got me wondering about that.

3 Likes

Oh, on that sense, just for the sake of extra clarity…

When I said:

I meant… “if applied to me, in this scenario, that question becomes moot”.

The question in itself was pretty interesting (hence why I wrote a lot on top of it).

You folks sure can derail a thread :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

5 Likes

My skepticism came from a lot of the above listed reasons in addition to the comment

Which was, afaik, never explained and sounds a bit too close to a “look at me I’m just like tony stark and need a magnet or I’ll die”