My next (first) project: a cheap bicycle lock?

Since this is my first post, here’s a little intro I guess.
I’m 20, just ordered a NExT and will have it implanted by a doctor friend. (He’ll follow this guide). He’s done some operations before so I trust him on this.
I usually hack websites (some bug bounty programs), but it’s time to hack myself I guess.
Like everyone else I’m waiting for the Apex for my other hand…

I ordered on digiwell and they recommend a 350€ lock which I could use as bike lock.
I really don’t wanna pay 350, but I think this ~35€ lock (with shipping) seems a little cheap.

Can someone recommend a good lock, like under 100€ that ships to germany?

Btw, can someone invite me to the vivokey forum? I have some spark specific questions.

1 Like

Hello and welcome!

I can’t help at all I’m afraid but thought it would be nice to say hi!

2 Likes

Members only. You will have access once you scan your vivokey.

I know of good bike locks. Not good rfid ones though.

2 Likes

Guess I’ll post here then.

Yeah that’s the problem :slight_smile:

Best to keep the bike with you if you value it… locks and chains aren’t enough.

2 Likes

My strategy is my bike is relatively cheap and it is stored next to lots of expensive bikes at work yet my chain is rather beefy so hopefully they pick one of the others xD

3 Likes

Same here, but I never had my bike stolen (it really looks shitty) and it’s locked away most of the time.
Still, the bike lock has one of the keys I use the most and I think it could be replaced relatively easy.

2 Likes

Sounds like plan😆
They might steal the high tech lock though… bragging rights.

So I do have a solution for you, kinda…
but it is not compatiable with the NExT unfortunately.
It works with the original Spark that are no longer available, but also the xSLX which is available in the DT store.

This is the lock link.https://www.thequicklock.com/
They do a padlock and door lock.

Comparatively quite cheap for RFID locks.

I hope that is still helpful

Oh, and welcome :+1:

2 Likes

Oooohhh very sad. I’m limited to the Next currently :confused:
This does seem like a nice lock :frowning:

At least you are now aware of it. :+1:

1 Like

I thought an RFID bike lock would be awesome since I use my bike daily for work but being in a city well known for bike thieves … I don’t think the money spent on many RFID locks is gonna be worth it when they pull out an angle grinder so personally it’s one key I don’t mind carrying.

1 Like

I’m in berlin, so I guess this applies to me aswell. But honestly, is it that much different than a mechanical lock?

Don’t know about the angle grinder, if they’d have one, my bike would be gone anyway. A different lock probably doesn’t make a huge difference.

Btw I am ignoring lots of “welcomes”'s here, sorry for that, hi to all!

1 Like

I have been looking for a padlock. I wonder if they have a backup way to open it.

Sorta kinda depends on your definition of BackUp
The closest, would be a USB port to recharge the battery that they state lasts for 2 years.
It has Bluetooth as a backup to RFID and Vise-Versa
So if the electronics fail there is no mechanical back up, ie. a keyway
BUT
looking at the breakdown,

it looks like it uses locking pawls rather than ball bearings, so you could likely Shim it open if you had to… Or bolt cutters/ angle grinder of course

1 Like

Master key

1 Like

@Amal, do you have any gen 1 sparks laying around that you want to sell? I am going to buy one of these padlocks, and I would rather have another spark. If not, I will purchase the xSLX in lieu.

looks like it was sold but you could try

Hopefully Amal sees this post.
Might be worth also using help button on DT store…

2 Likes

Actually, I should update/remove that guide… this is better;

I do have one in a drawer still… i think… i’ll check.

5 Likes

Yeah he used that too, but the guide looked more serious. My next is in (since yesterday), reads NFC already, but I’ll leave the bandage on until this noon and take a look.

1 Like