Naming convention for implant locations EXPANDED

haha! well, more importantly, when I put my hand down on the table with the knife edge flat down, hand sitting perpendicular to the table, position 4 is not “touching” the table surface… if you know what i mean. #fathands

1 Like

I’m not disparaging meaty people or trying to be sone kind of reference man. I just think being concise and simplifying as much as possible is beneficial to avoid confusion. People regularly get confused about 4 and 5 for obvious reasons. Why bother when the alternative is so much more elegant.

ok sure i can see the logic… fine… we can do away with the distinction… it’s the same amount of confusion either way :slight_smile:

rriiiggghhhtttt :wink:

I definitely have a distinction between 4 and 5.

Is it our fault that you are Skeletor? :skull: :rofl:

To be fair I have a friend whose hands definitely look skeletal, so it’s an interesting point.

I have referred to having my payment conversion in position #4.5 , I retract that statement

In reality
It would be a #4 in Amals indexing
or
it would be a #3.5 in Satur9s

Mine is ON the bone rather than between the bones.

BUT
I just watched Amals video explaining the difference between the two positions at the bottom of this post
So now under Amals indexing, mine would be #3.5

Also in the Thenar space, it is sometimes possible to fit 2 implants into position #0
so would that make the one closest to position #1 actually #0.5 or would that .5 equal being on the bone of the first finger being that of the index and not the thumb.
OR
would it be better to have #n.5 on the bone making the double implant in the thenar #0 and #00

which in medical terms 00 is larger than 0
however in shotgun pellet sizes 00 buck is larger but with fewer pellets than 0

You’re making it super complicated :laughing: two in the same position are just that: in the same position. I guess the .5 divisions could work, but that happens so rarely you mine as well call it “between L3 and L4”.

If we want to map every possible install spot with no gaps or ambiguity we would basically need a coordinate system for the body, and nobody wants that. Simple is better, otherwise it’s confusing. This shits already esoteric enough as it is.

5 Likes

So I agree with satur9 about 0 and 00

But to add fuel to the fire,

The fingertip locations should differentiate left and right side of the fingertip

At the ender of the pointer finger would be 11 on the thumb side and 11.5 on the middle Finger side

Whatever we decide in the end, we should include wrist / forearm because those are becoming common

It wouldn’t be terrible to have
LH0: left hand 0
LW0: left wrist 0 (where a watch sits)
LA0: left arm… default location, say forearm?

I highly suggest we either scavenger a mannequin arm, or I can 3D print a hand and we label it in real life and then it can have pictures from various angles… or even a 360 rotation gif would be classy

Oh don’t worry, it was all tongue in cheek, purely to add to the discussion…for my own amusement.

I should have put in a :rofl:

1 Like

This is getting too complicated (although I did suggest a 3d coordinate system at one point…)

Most of the suggestions so far haven’t include which side of the hand these things.

Actually, I have an issue with this, because “where does a watch sit?”.

I used to wear a watch below the radiocarpal joint which is what I suspect you mean, but as my current “watch” is really a fitness tracker I wear it just above the radiocarpal joint.

That was just a rough explaination,
This is an example of why I think there needs to be a physical 3D arm and it is marked in the various locations

Lol my artist friend sent me this as a suggestion

2 Likes

This is gonna sound like a strange one, but what about getting all the positions (once that’s settled) printed on a latex glove? That way when you pull it on, it will stretch to fit and make conceptualization a breeze.

Do any glove companies or printing shops offer such a thing…

1 Like

I was thinking about that, but as a way to reset the mannequin arm,

That’s an interesting idea also, but printing might be a royal pain if it’s even possible… and what if it stretches weird, now someone things LH1 is on the wrong side of a bone

I think bones might need to be illustrated

I feel like everyone is just needlessly complicating an already fine numbering system… Might as well just come up with a x, y, z Cartesian coordinate system at that point lol. Just use words if you want to describe the uncommon install locations outside of the p# hand location descriptors. (5 isn’t real)

I don’t think every spot on the body needs complex Dewey decimal location, just say “my upper arm” or “top of my wrist” or something :laughing:

1 Like

Which wrist? :joy:

My brain works a bit different from other peoples so I might be on the wrong path, but I think I like the modifier Idea.

We can keep 0-5 (If you don’t need pos 5, don’t use it, but people find it useful so we should keep it)
Not sure what to do with 11 - not important rn

then digits could be D (or F for finger) 0-4 for thumb through pinkie, P M & D (or 0-2) for proximal middle and distal, then Palmar Dorsal Radial & Ulnar

eg.
L8 → LD2PD
right index finger pad → RD1DP

yeah that’s a bit long isn’t it. Maybe A-E for each digit, then numbering P, M and D makes more sense, but do we number from P to D (makes sense for distal side) or D to P (makes sense for palmar side, magnets and the like)

L8 → LC0D
right index finger pad → RB2P

And maybe separators could help with longer names?

LD.2.P.D
LC.P.D

Why not just say “right index finger pad” instead of having to solve the zodiac cyphers every time you wanna talk about positioning?

5 Likes

Sorry, was that my right or your right?

So far we have had two Cartesian coordinate systems suggested. And several schemes that make the Library of Congress Scheme look simple. (For reference the Library of Congress includes such obvious entries as “TK9965 .G635 2006” I leave it to the curious to work out why this entry is important in this discussion)

I favour a semi technical description that is self explanatory, but shouldn’t reference a non permanent feature. So “Left Wrist, where you wear your watch” is not a great description while “Left Wrist, just below the radiocarpal joint” is good.

A simple anatomical diagram might be necessary but that should be good enough.

1 Like

2 snags,

Most people won’t know what a radiocarpal joint is

And also, some people don’t have a left radiocarpal joint lol :joy:

I feel targeted

I think whatever we come up with… if… we come up with any consensus… there needs to be a similar type of visual reference

Could be as fun as my mannequin arm and 360 animation suggestion or as basic as a few MS paint pictures… but I find people are generally quite visual

I think counterintuitively breaking it into zones might keep it simpler

Arm / wrist / hand / fingertips
each have a basic set of numbered positions
a picture showing each zone in a different color
And a picture of each zone numbered

Again I’m visual based, and as bad as I am at photo editing I can try to whip up what I’m suggesting later