NExT or Spark 2?

Good morning, I have an xNT on my left hand and I really liked the chip. I wonder what would be the best choice to put in the right hand.
A NExT chip with xNT + xEM or a Spark 2?
What could I do with one that I wouldn’t do with the other?
Does the Spark 2 chip need vivokey to work or can it be used in a similar way as xNT, xEM or NExT?

If you are looking to get into the vivokey family, the spark 2 is a great choice. However, if you are looking for something more…I guess I’ll say DIY or Hacky, Id go with the NExT, as it will give you the most options to play with and give you a LF chip. What are your goals with your second implant? If we know your goals, we can better point you in the right direction.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the help.
I thought better about NExT and I think it is not a good choice for me, because I already have xNT and I don’t need the xEM chip since 2014, and I saw on the forum a considerable number of reports of NExT chips that are in trouble.
I have had my xNT since 2014 and have used it to unlock tablets / smartphones / notebooks / Desktops and sometimes as a vCard. I haven’t found any other really useful functions for the chip yet, but I really like my xNT chip and would not like to remove and replace it while it works.
I had thought about the chips from the vivokey family, but I didn’t understand how it will work and with what programs and where to actually use it. But I found the encryption interesting, what really confused me were the differences between the Spark 1, Spark 2 chips and the future Apex line.
I would really like to know more about what could be done with the Spark 2 chip and whether it depends on any application or collective initiative to really have a useful use.
If possible, some information about the Apex line, the news and what it will do to more than spark 2 so that I can choose the one I prefer with your help.
Thank you very much for your help and answer!
My goal with the new chip is the encryption that I don’t have on my xNT chip.

The spark 2 is really just a more user friendly version of the other NFC implants available here with the addition of more advanced cryptological technology so it can be used to securely ID you (this is kinda a simplification). The new Apex line will be able to do all of that, but also run programs called applets, which will allow, at least in theory, things such as payments and other more advanced things. For instance, one recent applet was launched so that the apex can emulate a tesla keycard. I think you would be best served waiting for the launch of the apex and deciding from there. Feel free to ask me any other questions you have, I’ll be happy to help.

2 Likes

Really? Which reports? I have a feeling most reports are due to user error or confusion vs issues with the product itself.

VivoKey has a complex history but basically the Spark line is supposed to be “plug and play” with nothing to program to the chip… you change scan behavior in the VivoKey app… so someone scans a Spark and the VivoKey server can direct that person to a URL or share the user’s VivoKey profile data (or do nothing - private mode).

The difference between the Spark 1 and Spark 2 is, for the most part, the RF protocol. The Spark 1 is a 13.56MHz, NFC Type 5, ISO15693 chip with 3 AES128 bit user keys loaded. The Spark 2 is a 13.56MHz, NFC Type 4, ISO14443A chip with 3 AES128 bit user keys loaded, with the added ability to map a CMAC signature to an NDEF record, which we append to the vivokey.co URL in the NDEF record. This allows for some additional features like “scan once” (which isn’t implemented yet)… but in short the Spark chips are primarily for interacting with the VivoKey identity and service platform, but you can also share data with people like any other NFC chip.

The Apex line of devices (coming soon!) actually use a secure element chip that runs Java Card applets which you can load on to the chip over the air via NFC. This means it’s actually a tiny little security computer capable of running software you yourself could write, and be used with and for 3rd party applications not even associated with VivoKey… though we do offer a range of open source applets we’ve developed for the Apex line, with more coming soon. Of course, you will also be able to use the Apex line with the VivoKey identity and service platform, just like the Spark line.

1 Like

Sorry I wrote it wrong, I saw many topics of users confused with their NExT chips and not with problems in the chips, I’m really sorry.
Thank you very much for explaining all the doubts, as I already have xNT in my left hand and I will wait for the Apex for my right hand; in the meantime I will buy to implant in the right hand, study and test the new xSIID NFC + LED.
Thanks for the answer, explanation and attention to my post

2 Likes

Thank you very much, yes I think I will wait for the Apex launch to put it in the right hand, I was more interested in it with this explanation of the applets and keep xNT in the left hand.
Thank you very much, soon I will have mine.

1 Like