NFC Microchip for Beginners

That would be a conversation to have with the security administrators at your work. If they implement that (for everyone) then you could scan in while others would have to enter a one time code from a device (yubikey, authy app, google authenticator, mooltipass,…). It would be more secure than changing the uid every 60 days.

Of course. That came in my mind recently. If I can scan my implant as access media instead of the password which have to be changed all 60 days that will be more secure. It’s an implant right :wink:

Then a apex with a blink light would be awesome :wink:

apex mega

soon

1 Like

Awesome. With same capabilities?

yep, and 4 LEDs… it will be a round design like the flexMT etc however we are aiming for a compact design with a max diameter of only 25mm total… much more manageable.

I will post more details and info to the DT Club (yes I am pushing this pretty hard at the moment)

Sounds good. Any price range in your head?
The club is cost based right?

ha yeah its just a monthly subscription …

I post “inside scoops” on stuff here in the lab / dt / etc…

pricing is pretty firmed up at this point but i don’t want to let any cats out of the bag just yet on that.

It’s ok. But sounds interesting from what I have heard. Hopefully it will be available soon :wink:

1 Like

Me again.
I has think about the xDF2 and spark. What are benefits of these. I mean, the xDF2 was my main use case for storing user data (health data for instance).
Any other advantages? Or better to say other advantages which I can‘t get with the spark?

Another question.
Does the vivokey can be used additionally for storing data as the xDF2? What I mean is, I’ve think to use the xDF2 for storing data and the vivo for Identity and other stuff it will offer. But would it be possible to combine it into the vivo?

Unless that data is just a link / vivokey profile, I do not believe that is the case (this is in reference to the spark 2).

Seriously consider waiting for the apex to release, in whichever form factor you would prefer. It is confirmed to be capable of storing more NDEF data than the xDF2 (16kB, maybe 32kB vs 8kB), will be supported by the vivokey chipscan API / identity system and also has other functionality you might be interested in. In general, it should be able to do all the Spark 2 can do and more!

Pretty much the only reason I’d recommend someone to get a xDF2 is if you need to enroll it in an existing system and that is the only supported type. E.g. transport, access control, etc.

Great thanks.
Yeah, the vivokey is definitely one of my favorites. Hope it will be released soon.
xDF I think about storing health data primarily and maybe open locks which will be more attractive as with the next from the hardware perspective of the locks. And xDF has the more secure chip which is an additional plus.

Important for me is storing data on the chip directly.

How much health data do you envision storing?

I can’t honestly see much more than a medication/allergy list fitting.

While there is no standard size for an electronic health record, one study I found used an average size of 25.86 MB. This was based on it containing various types of diagnostic data.

Good question.
It would be a usual health list like medicine, operations from the past, allergy etc

Here is some APPROXIMATE data points for you
This plain test Document is approximately 16kB
Notepad
16kB Test Doc.txt (15.9 KB)

Containing ~16,000 characters which equates to approximately 2365 words (obviously, this would be word dependant)

Equivalent Microsoft Word document

1 Like

Again, the Apex will definitely do the first, and the second depends on the lock. There aren’t many locks which support the DF EV2 chip in a proper secure manner.

Apex, depending on what applets are loaded, can also do secure communication etc. It’s actually a similar chip to the ones used in contactless payment cards, and if its secure enough for banks / payments, which many people consider to be super important, then that’s saying something.

Also, this post has some good Apex NDEF data storage data

That sounds great, thanks.
So seems I don‘t need the xDF2 and can use only the apex :slight_smile:

1 Like