Paying with my hand (yes, that question again) šŸ˜

Youā€™re almost right except for the fact that dangerous things wonā€™t put it in a glass casing they will attach it to a flex antenna and bio coat it, so this is not one you can inject because itā€™s not a pill shaped implant

4 Likes

You also need to remove the chip from the yourself, as I understand it. An oven at 175 F makes it pretty easy and doesnā€™t involve the nastiness of acetone.

2 Likes

I would much rather suggest using acetone. Chips themselves can only get so hot before failing and cooking plastic is a bad idea regardless

6 Likes

The length of time it will work for is the lifespan of the card. This is set by you bank/credit service and varies from country to country, bank to bank, contract to contract but is rarely over five years.

2 Likes

Donā€™t mess with the card before talking to Dangerous Things, doing so could make the conversion process a lot harder:

4 Likes

(Feel free to ignore this and skip on to Amalā€™s far more informed post)

The plastic doesnā€™t melt at that temperature. It just becomes supple. Satur9 mentioned is his CoM post that the EMV chips can handle up to 200 C (392 F). Looking closer, PVC is fine as long as it doesnā€™t burn, which occurs at 284 degrees Fahrenheit. Youā€™re right in that if that shit cooks off, itā€™s extremely toxic. Too much time in an acetone bath will also mess things up while off gassing the whole time which present much more immediate and constant health risks and also forces you to handle the chip with metal tools (so they donā€™t break down in the acetone) which presents further risks of damaging it during removal.

All that too say, Iā€™ve only removed one and I really hate working with acetone so Iā€™m definitely biased.

2 Likes

The interesting thing about acetone is that our bodies make it naturally. Itā€™s broken down by the liver, but thereā€™s always some in your blood at any given time.

As long as you are working in a decently ventilated area, acetone is okā€¦ but gently heating PVC can also be effective.

If you rent to go the acetone route your donā€™t need much. Place in a glass container you donā€™t mind tossing out after. Just put enough acetone in so the card is covered by a few mm of liquid. Find a cover to piece over. I use glass-lock food storage. The plastic used in the snap on covers isnā€™t affected by acetone.

If youā€™re using nail polish remover or low quality acetone then you may need more liquid, but the nice thing is that you can use just enough that the PVC gets rubbery instead of melting away, and this is ideal for module removal.

6 Likes

Thank you!
And I hate to ask the obvious question, but how then is it inserted (or please direct me to the dangerous things link that describes this as I have not seen it)?

Thank you.

And I am lost :grin:. Are you describing (and the posts above you) how to remove the chip? I have zero interest in thatā€¦although I do find the process fascinating, just not interested in doing it myself. That is a dangerous things service, right? The one where they cant guarantee it worksā€¦? I am fine with that risk.
I am just not 100% sure how it gets inserted.
I get how all the other prebuilt dangerous things products are insertedā€¦

Thank you

Custom needle ( normally ) it depends on the form factor, but that will likely be it.

It could also be done with a scalpel to make the incision, and then another tool to make the cavity, the implant is then inserted, and closed up with a stitch or two, or possibly an adhesive.

It all comes down to what the installer is comfortable with and what they can legally do.

Here are a couple of videos that should answer your questions

3 Likes

Am I the only one who often gets confused with the title of this thread and reads it as ā€œplayingā€?

:robot_gundam:

8 Likes

PilgrimsMaster covered it but id just like to add onto what the process is like

With not being able to inject it the aforementioned custom needle could be used and is a widely more accepted method of insertion as in many places (like the UK) installers are either unfamiliar or legally unable to to use scalpels, but it boils down to the same concept at the end of

Creating the pocket, removing the tool used to create the pocket and then manually sliding the implant into the hole.

Having done this one to myself (Iā€™m crazy. do not copy my madness) I can tell you itā€™s not much worse than an injectable (x-series) in terms of pain/discomfort and a good installer should be able to handle the process with ease

3 Likes

I feel like I remember @Satur9 mentioning that the encapsulated width was 12mm vs the common 7.5mm of the (at least) new flexies which probably puts it outside of the needle range but @amal would know for sure.

1 Like

Yeah the CoM conversion is much larger and requires a scalpel for installation.

good point, I didnā€™t include CoM in the above since we havent seen the card / chip yet.
I was focusing on the Payment conversion
We do need some more info from the OPā€¦

1 Like

Standard charge card in the US, with a chip on itā€¦is this what you are looking for? I pulled this off the web, but mine is exactly the same:

CoM chips have one or two traces between the contacts on the chip. Iā€™m pretty sure that Satur9 has posted pictures of this before but Iā€™m not an IA and couldnā€™t find them.

Iā€™m not sure if the contactless payment chips that have both the contacts on the front and the antenna soldered to the back can be converted? CoM chips have a coil that couples with the antenna thatā€™s embedded in the card.

haha, now I am seeing it too!

Pretty sure the reason you canā€™t find it is because itā€™s a DT Club post. :wink:

However, hereā€™s a little snippet heā€™s posted in an open thread:

1 Like

Did the post get moved? Was it for the sole purpose of tempting me?

:robot_gundam:

2 Likes