Payment with NFC chips. Workaround?

Well, I have to say you’re right about SAMSUNG. I never tried to use it on terminals without NFC, but now I’ve to try it.
As for the batteries, they are really batteries in pacemakers. It’s correct that batteries are somewhat dangerous if implanted, but those are ok. However, by now we could use wireless power transfer to power implanted devices which could open the door to a host of different implantable devices with more functionality than just transmitting a few KB data.

I talked about implanting solid state batteries here:
Solid State Battery as implant power source - Projects - Dangerous Things Forum

I don’t know man, those coils tend to get really hot :sweat_smile:

The power source would worth to have its own topic, if not a whole forum dedicated to it.

1 Like

Already been done. Look into the PegLeg.

It was just a proof of concept/prototype. Look how it turned out, he had to have it removed after the battery started bulging. I’m sure that what Intector has in mind is a device that is actually practical, easily implantable, with a purpose and that won’t send you to the ER on a whim :sweat_smile:
I’m actually surprised nobody has made a prototype implant with a lithium iodide battery yet, those seem to be pretty common (are used in pacemakers)

Edit: strike through, false information, see posts below

1 Like

Not sure which one you’re talking about, but the version of the PegLeg I’m talking about doesn’t have a battery. You strap the Qi charger to wherever it’s implanted, and that’s how it’s powered. It needs the Qi charger to stay powered on, no charging at all.

http://pegleg.org/

I’m not saying it’s a good implant, or that it’s a good idea, but this is a proof of concept.

Oh, you are right. I must have misremembered :sweat_smile: or was there another thing with that? I really don’t know. But it had to be removed, not due to the battery, but because of the body rejecting it after many months. No wonder too, at that size

I wonder if that was the v1 or v2 of the PegLeg. Interesting read, though.

Regardless, it’s definitely a bad idea to implant something that large.

It was the one developed and implanted at Grindfest 2019, I’m assuming it was the prototype/v1

I swear to god I seem to remember someone implanting something similar but with a battery that ended up failing. But I can’t find it anywhere! Maybe I’m just imagining things :sweat_smile:

agreed…

that depends on the transferred power…

perhaps it was cercadia 1.0?

Obviously the battery had not failed… but was about to… with drastic consequences if it had while still inside the body.

1 Like

That’s absolutely brutal to look at. Thanks for sharing, I hadn’t heard about that implant or the “incident”. That’s such a huge battery too (relatively speaking), so much energy. Even if it hadn’t started venting, a bad short would have been horrific to imagine.

It was exactly that! Thanks!

That second picture is the exact reason why I don’t have a Northstar v2 in my chest :wink:

I think the “Pegleg” or other such things are just ridiculous. Those guys going out, buying some boards and converting them into implants, it’s almost like a bad movie.

It’s reckless and daring, and I would neither do it to myself nor recommend doing that to anyone - but it’s crazy folks like these who keep mankind moving :wink:

I mean, lots of the stuff we do here would seem pretty ridiculous to most other people as well :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

This

I fail to see what’s actually ridiculous about the peg leg?

It’s effing huge sure, but it’s still encapsulated in a bio goop, is there some other risk factor I’m missing?

If memory serves the v1 only failed because it got smashed in a taxi door or something

3 Likes

Correct, although in general it’s size doesn’t help (sharp ish corners / relatively thick). I believe that there are people who have had a pegleg V2 installed for well over a year now.

agree with both.

Actually, if it wasn’t for people doing crazy stuff in the past, we wouldn’t even be here right now…

2 Likes