Payment with NFC chips. Workaround?

It seems as if I have walked upon a gray area where I can’t find an answer to whether contactless payments work or not. I see this question asked multiple times but I’m still wondering if using “Samsung pay” would be a workaround for this issue since a phone uses NFC for those payments? Anyone tried or heard of this working or not?

I live in Sweden and it seems like people around here can pay with these chips, but all these things are so unclear to me from what I’ve read online and on this forum.

1 Like

Hello and welcome!
Good news:

Enjoy! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As Atilla said, walletmor may be an option since you live over there but ide also like to explain why samsung pay may not be the solution:

Samsung pay works by blasting a magnetic field at the swipe terminal in the same sequence that the reader would see the magnetic bits in a magnetic stripe from a card. The problem here is that that mag blaster as ill call it, is actively powered. It doesnt take power from the field emmetted by the reader and modulate it for comms, it just feeds off the phone battery to blast away.

This presents a problem because an implant of such a device would almost guaranteed need to be active and therefore require some sort of battery. At this point in time, batteries are a big no-no for implants for a couple of reasons but number one is that if they fail in any way it could be deadly.

TLDR: samsung pay does not use nfc for its payments to my knowledge like google pay does and would be prohibitively difficult to implement safely

By the way, if i got anything wrong here please correct me

Thank you!
It looks like they are in early development but could be a good choice!

Remember, at the moment the chip is a temporary solution.
Keep reading and be sure to ask if you need.

Oh, I see, that was just off the top of my head trying to think of some way to make it work.

I’m going to wait before I decide since this will be my first implant. Walletmor seems good but it feels weird with the “3-year” expiration so I might wait for now.

Cheers!

1 Like

It might be a turn-off for many…
The platform seems to be solidified by now.
However I am not entirely sure if the hardware (the chip itself) will be obsolete after the exp. date.
Fear not, there will be answer for that soon.

Edit: As far as I know the chip will be a one-trick-pony. And hell, we’re been waiting for that trick for looooong time.

2 Likes

Hey @MTFT,
that’s not quite correct and somewhat misleading. The “swipe” terminal contains a RFID device which communicates the same way as any other such device. The phone doesn’t blast any magnetic waves to simulate the magnetic stripe of a card, those are two different things. If you ever had a look at a credit card with a NFC chip you would know that those cards don’t have batteries which means the energy comes from the “swipe” terminal.
Also, implanting batteries isn’t necessary a big no-no, it’s actually done in many cases a pacemaker for example, those devices have a battery.

You are actually incorrect.

Samsung pay is unique in this aspect in that it can use the magstripe simulator. It’s built into their phones for this purpose.

Google/Android pay don’t.

4 Likes

Turns out there was a period of time where implantable nuclear batteries for pacemakers were a thing

Samsung calls it “Magnetic Secure Transmission” (MST)
2-Figure1-1

Eeuurrgghhh. I know and I want it so bad. Give me that polonium power core!

1 Like

Well, I have to say you’re right about SAMSUNG. I never tried to use it on terminals without NFC, but now I’ve to try it.
As for the batteries, they are really batteries in pacemakers. It’s correct that batteries are somewhat dangerous if implanted, but those are ok. However, by now we could use wireless power transfer to power implanted devices which could open the door to a host of different implantable devices with more functionality than just transmitting a few KB data.

I talked about implanting solid state batteries here:
Solid State Battery as implant power source - Projects - Dangerous Things Forum

I don’t know man, those coils tend to get really hot :sweat_smile:

The power source would worth to have its own topic, if not a whole forum dedicated to it.

1 Like

Already been done. Look into the PegLeg.

It was just a proof of concept/prototype. Look how it turned out, he had to have it removed after the battery started bulging. I’m sure that what Intector has in mind is a device that is actually practical, easily implantable, with a purpose and that won’t send you to the ER on a whim :sweat_smile:
I’m actually surprised nobody has made a prototype implant with a lithium iodide battery yet, those seem to be pretty common (are used in pacemakers)

Edit: strike through, false information, see posts below

1 Like

Not sure which one you’re talking about, but the version of the PegLeg I’m talking about doesn’t have a battery. You strap the Qi charger to wherever it’s implanted, and that’s how it’s powered. It needs the Qi charger to stay powered on, no charging at all.

http://pegleg.org/

I’m not saying it’s a good implant, or that it’s a good idea, but this is a proof of concept.

Oh, you are right. I must have misremembered :sweat_smile: or was there another thing with that? I really don’t know. But it had to be removed, not due to the battery, but because of the body rejecting it after many months. No wonder too, at that size

I wonder if that was the v1 or v2 of the PegLeg. Interesting read, though.

Regardless, it’s definitely a bad idea to implant something that large.

It was the one developed and implanted at Grindfest 2019, I’m assuming it was the prototype/v1

I swear to god I seem to remember someone implanting something similar but with a battery that ended up failing. But I can’t find it anywhere! Maybe I’m just imagining things :sweat_smile: