Purewrist prepaid payment card in USA

Maybe… I asked to pay by tap at McDonald’s and they poked some buttons and passed the terminal out the window … I’d imagine it was on, but who knows.

If only there was a handy dandy tool you could have tested it with…

If you want one Amal, I’m pretty sure I can hook you up, let’s just say… I know a guy :wink:

6 Likes

you dont need to go through pilgrim you can just go to their website lol http://dangerousthings.com/

2 Likes

Oh, you know my guy also…small world :earth_americas:

1 Like

haha dude… I checked my wallet after it didn’t work the first time and apparently not having one in there was just Murphy’s Law.

2 Likes

Yeah, he can be a real dick sometimes.

Maybe you should get some of @kayTH rfid earrings

2 Likes

I’m definitely going to be testing this around at my favorite merchants before committing to the conversion/install. Given that I can’t clone my regular credit card to it (and thusly won’t get those sweet sweet points), and can’t really use it at any kind of bar/restaurant (if those even exist anymore) I plan to use this:

A. During runs, so I can grab a smoothie at the end without needing my wallet
B. When I forget my wallet when walking downtown
C. Just for convenience at local corner stores/ walgreens and stuff

I figure there’s like 10-15 places max I’ll realistically ever use it over my actual credit card, so I’m just gonna test it at all of them and never have any surprises :grin:

2 Likes

Haha, That was a little touch of my motivation for getting mine.

Boring story follows

The last time I was in Fiji :fiji: I went for a run, :running_man: I had planned on an 8km run, and I did a Forrest Gump…“I just kept runnin’”, I ended up running just under 25km (more than a half Marathon), If you weren’t aware, Fiji is HOT and HUMID and not even half way I was parched to say the least, I regretted not having any money with me just to buy a simple drink of water :potable_water: , This was not the first time I had done something similar…How I wished I had the ability to summon the power to pay with my paws :paw_prints:

Now I do, :raised_hand::credit_card: never to be thirsty and stranded on a Tropical Island :desert_island: again.

4 Likes

when I saw that it wasn’t working right I put my pure wrist order on hold,

I’ll reassess after more testing I guess

@Satur9 I guess I should have listened when you said to wait

@amal I wonder if it has to do with pure wrist “requiring” a pin, and the readers are possibly setup to not require a pin for contactless

1 Like

Gee, that must have sucked. In Australia, pretty much everywhere which takes cards has contactless, in fact at markets and such people are using Square to let small stalls take cards - and that is contactless only for the base model.

1 Like

Yeah we are quite lucky here in NZ :new_zealand: and Oz :australia: , Eftpos is the major player in payment terminals.
In NZ about 80% of terminals are contactless, the remaining are Chip and Pin, with just the occasional Mag swipe :credit_card:

I haven’t had to put my card in a machine for at least a year. It’s pretty fantastic.
And especially during covid it has made contact with high traffic items like an Eftpos Machine alot safer.

@Satur9 make sure you and Amal post updates, I’ll resume mine when it’s figured out what’s up

1 Like

Nah m8, we’re just gonna leave you hangin :wink:

2 Likes

That’s cool too I guess

1 Like

Lol I mean I’ll definitely be posting updates. I’ll be doing testing on a variety of readers, taking pictures and documenting here for everybody. It’s like my thing.

I got you, fam.

2 Likes

@Eriequiet here’s one!

I made a payment with the converted purewrist today.

Here’s evidence:

All the readers Amal and I have tried so far have the coil situated behind an LCD display, which makes finding the ideal spot for coupling to non-standard antenna shapes difficult. After some vigorous rubbing, and some questions from the attendant, I discovered that the ideal technique is to hold the implant in line with the top edge of the screen (using the edge as a bounding box) and slowly slide the implant across the centerline. Direction of the chip and side of the implant don’t seem to matter much. I held it right against the screen, but different readers might have different antennas that require some distance, and others might not like you touching the touchscreen while attempting to read.

I’m going to get it installed in position L3 on Sunday afternoon. I’ll let you know how it goes :smile:

6 Likes

Out of curiosity, is Purewrist aware that this is happening to their hardware? Could they freak out and cancel the account?

2 Likes

Could ask the same about vimpay to :slight_smile:

To answer your question about if they are aware to what is happening with their hardware. Yes, Purewrist is very aware of what is happening to their hardware. I was having problems upgrading my card so that I can put more money on it…so I called them and explained my problem, he asked me what I was planning on using my Purewrist for so I told him. No they didn’t freak out. They thought it was very cool/interesting. I talked with them for quite some time about what I was planning on doing. I plan on sending it to @amal for conversion.

1 Like