Purewrist prepaid payment card in USA

Hmm no, I meant unwinding the square antenna (without de-soldering either endpoints) and then winding it up into a narrow rectangle to make a flexM1-sized transponder.

I was more thinking measuring the original antenna’s inductance as best as possible, then making an narrow antenna with the same inductance, try, adjust by trial and error, rinse, repeat.

That’s what I do when I solder homebrew antennae to stuff. It’s long and annoying, and it wastes a ton of copper wire, but it works eventually :slight_smile:

That’s fair. You could use a hand wound antenna. You’d have to make it all up yourself, test it, and then send it to Amal for encapsulation, though.

Well yeah, but I’m far too lazy :slight_smile: I was thinking maybe Amal might want to do it once so that he could reuse the design for later VIMPay conversions.

Incidentally, that’s not an option even if I wanted to implant something like that: the only installer who would agree to do it is 400 miles from my place. I’m not taking days off and flying across the country for something that expires. Too much expense and aggro.

My local piercer is okay to do stuff with needles and no stitches. So a thing like yours would be on the edge of what he would agree to do.

Makes sense. That’s why I wanted to try out the flex needle install, so I could provide a first hand account. Many more installers will be willing to use that method than a scalpel, dermal elevator, and sutures.

So mine and @Sijaka installs weren’t good enough for you?

2 Likes

Not if you did them yourselves :anguished:

1 Like

@Sijaka was self
Mine was a piercer

Just pullin’ your leg anyway

I like the fact you can compare your other flex install technique, a more valuable opinion :+1:

2 Likes

This is essentially being worked on with Walletmor… still expires… but also same form factor as the purewrist conversion.

1 Like

So I understand placing them over joints is bad but if I had a flex over one of my metacarpals would that cause issues?

1 Like

Yeah well I’ve kinda gotten that it’s unavoidable by now. But the thin form factor would make it almost palatable.

1 Like

I’ll let you know how mine turns out. The wrist side of the flex is over the 4th metacarpal a bit. I don’t think it will stay there due to the motion of my hand, but if I does, I don’t think it will be a huge issue. Just a bit of discomfort if it causes the skin to stretch due to the flex being wider than most people’s bones.

1 Like

Yeah same here. The flexM1 is just long enough to fit between the bend of my wrist and the ligaments at the pinky’s metacarpal head, so the proximal part of it (wrist-side) has climbed over the bone - possibly over the carpal entirely. The entire implant is sunken between the two metacarpals, apart that bit that sticks out like a small anthill in Florida.

Luckily, I kind of thought it would happen, so I asked my installer to reverse the flexM1 in - chip end towards the fingers - so the chip wouldn’t be exposed over the carpal.

Yeah I’m the other way round :laughing: antenna towards fingers

The chip is protected alright with my install, but the NFC action is way too much to the back of my hand for my taste. Still, it’s not like I had much choice: there was no way for that implant to find a space anywhere else at that location, and I really didn’t want that protruding chip smack over a bone.

1 Like

Just realized that I’m still a bit… uncomfortable. With needles. Of that size. :grimacing:
But not needing stitches is a big plus, and of course

… is a good reason, too.

I think it’s interesting that the pain was “not bad at all”, for this method separates skin as well (and I wouldn’t risk a scalpel-and-elevator-installation without numbing…) - guess the sharper the tools, the less pain is involved :woman_shrugging:

The pain was very manageable without anesthetic. There was a light poke with the insertion (very similar to an x-series), basically nothing during the pocket separation, and then some sharp pains near the wrist. I would be willing to do it without pain management again. The only two I think require painkillers are fingertip magnet installs and larger flexes. I may be a bit tougher than most, though :confused:

I did a fingertip magnet install with no pain management once…christ on a cracker

1 Like

This might apply to me, too, depending on the situation…

I just think it is very interesting to see how different pain is experienced, between different people as well as between different methods of installation. I think it’s always very hard to compare different painful sensations, and so it might be useful (for the people who ask “how” painful something is), if we can safely say that, for example, installing something with a Big Fuckin Needle is less painful than installing a magnet in a fingertip. Might not be obvious to everyone :wink:

And yes, I’m totally with you considering that painkillers are quite often not neccessary at all. :smiley:

3 Likes

Kewl!! Looks good! I’m curious to see it in action too if you post any pics/video of it working. Also, kinda curious to see how widely it is accepted at payment terminals. I may even have to try one myself without conversion just to see. I have been able to get Google Pay (tokenized) to work almost everywhere around me, including 2 terminals that I just recently networked for a small Deli/Grocery store. Funny thing is, (this happens with my bank card too), some terminals seem to insist on treating it like a debit card and ask for a PIN number. I’m still learning myself how it all really works too… :wink:

A bit higher up in the thread