Purewrist prepaid payment card in USA

Oh you do? Here in Europe, for small payments, you don’t need no pin: just scan the card and that’s it.

its up to the issuing bank to set these requirements, but yes they do seem to follow each other in these matters.

1 Like

Actually you’re right. It’s not Europe-wide: my ING card from Belgium allows me to pay up to 25 euros without pin and then asks for one (so, I can pay once 25 euros, or 10 times 2.50 before being asked a pin) while my Finnish Nordea card lets me pay up to 35 euros per payment without any pin ever.

In NZ all “pay wave” are upto ~USD$55 no pin, until Covid happened and touchless was the preferred method so the banks increased the pinless limit to ~USD$165 and the terminal owners fees were waived

All I know is that I bought $6 worth of pickles and crackers using the purewrist and it required a pin. I didn’t see an option in the web interface to disable a pin.

2 Likes

@amal
Just wondering, not trying to pry secrets out but just trying to understand the state of things

You mention that it’s up to the bank to set requirements of pin or no pin

Is expiration date also up to banks? Or is it hardwired into the EMV system,

One scenario involves convincing a bank, one involves convincing THE system

Guessing it’s the latter?

1 Like

Here ya go!

2 Likes

In short the system defines that issuers can define their own transaction security requirements but the expiration date as well as account numbers etc are all defined by the network (system). Just understand that banks are like vaults of value and the entire merchant card payment and processing system … the thing that lets you walk into a store with a card and pay… all of that is controlled by the network (MasterCard or Visa or whatever) and it’s bolted on to banking… so a bank basically is an island unless it applies to operate on and be connected to the MasterCard or Visa networks… the bank is a customer of the network as much as you are a customer of the bank… even though the cards themselves are presented to you as if they are a product or service of the bank… they are in so far as the physical card… but it’s capabilities are fully derived as features of the payment network.

The banks have to play by the rules of the network. The network grants them the ability to set their own transaction security requirements (pins, values, etc.) … expiration date is a function of emv requirements defined by the coalition of networks that define emv standards.

4 Likes

so thats how regular cards work… neat and fuck.
what about this tokenization you spoke of? from what i understand, it gets around the expiry rules somehow so how does that work and why arent we using that already? do we also need permission to do it that way or is it that it takes a while to set up?

Tokenized cards basically don’t exist because they don’t need to exist… cards are throw away devices that serve their purpose and get tossed for a new one at expiry.

Our partner Fidesmo is really the only ones that have paid all the money to set up and secure their stuff to become a token requestor… so it is possible.

This basically requires the bank allow Fidesmo to be a token requestor. This is how Apple pay and so those work. They can’t store and communicate your card number to the payment terminal (because reasons) so instead they tokenize it on the server, send the token to the phone, the token is sent to the payment terminal, the processor detokenizes it, and the payment is processed. It’s a lot of bullshit that goes in a big circle to basically get around emv and pci compliance issues… but whatever… in a tokenized chip it lets me tokens be deployed to the chip in the field so tokens representing expired cards can be replaced with new tokens representing unexpired cards at any time.

4 Likes

FTFY

3 Likes

For the sake of documentation, I got mine in the mail today.

4 Likes

You gonna try it out?

1 Like

@amal
Other question I haven’t seen asked

Can you convert a non micro, full size contactless card?

1 Like

Has been asked multiple times, no is the answer.

The additional circuity (chip gold contacts and all) make it difficult to convert and the coil antenna is usually damaged.

1 Like

Figured as much with the contacts

Figured he’d just make a new antenna coil anyways,

Oh well

On the bright side, covid has made “contactless” buzz worthy so I’m seeing more and more previously non contactless transition

Now if I can just get a magic money hand

1 Like

So pardon me just joining the convo, but aside from the time constraint of the card, this implant sounds pretty promising. How long does biocompatibility encapsulation usually take though?

1 Like

The more I think about it, the less I want to convert a pure wrist to an implant

It’s a brand new company, it’s possible they don’t survive the 3 years

2 Likes

Honestly, I don’t care if they only last 6 months, I’ll get it implanted. I don’t get some of your obsessions with “long term” implants (payment, magnets, tritium). Obviously I want everything I get put in to last as long as possible, but I’m not going to let a short lifespan stop me from implanting. Biohacking is an inherently fast and loose endeavor. We’re on the cutting edge. Things don’t last.

5 Likes

The delay is because USPS seems to have misplaced the letter I sent to Amal containing the purewrist. I’m going to stop by the post office tomorrow and see what I can see.

Encapsulation should only take a day or two, but Amal still needs to make sure one of the antennas he has on hand will work. If not, that could take awhile.