RFID Keyless Car Start Systems?

@Sijaka
I was thinking a bit more this week on the diesel keyless start.
Based on the assumption that it takes about 7 secs on average once the car is unlocked, to get in, and start the car…
I think with a bit of work, you can probably make it easier to start your car.
Be forewarned… this is completely hypothetical, and involves some rather intense modifications. However, that being said, it should not be crazy difficult to figure out how to make this work.
The basis of this idea, is that you somehow modify the easyguard to put the car into ON mode when you unlock it. The easiest way conceivable would be to use an Arduino module, a relay and a bit of wiring. After the lock is installed on the door, so it unlocks when you scan your chip, when it flips the relay on to unlock the doors, it would also trigger the Arduino to turn on for ~7 secs, then turn off. By the time you have opened the door, and sat down, the glow plugs would be warm and ready for you to start the car. You would get in, sit down, and push the magic button.
An alternative method which would be electrically simpler and more efficient, would be to just use the easyguard system. Now bear with me b/c this gets more weird. You would need to wire a second start button/switch into the original system, and hook it into your door in such a way, that when the door handle is opened, the switch gets triggered. Place the 2 antenna concentrically, so both can scan your chip simultaneously (if this is possible @anyonewhomightknowmore) and put the original start button in the original location. Operation would be, walk to the car, scan hand, open door, making spark plugs warm up, sit down, press start and drive.
That being said… using an arduino nano and a few relays would make this a much simpler task, but requires a bit of programming. That being said, if I had to do this, I would use an arduino, just for the simplicity and the low power usage. The arduino could, tbh do everything the Easyguard does, unlock the doors, run a timer to lock/turn off everything, and automatically heat up the plugs for you, and start the car with a button. In addition many people on the forum, for reasons unknown, enjoy programming, and would likely be better suited to talk you through an arduino installation.
Good luck
N8

1 Like

I still did not receive the easyguerd unit, but I’ll start tinkering wit a nano or pro micro, rc522 or 532 board hooked up with two optocouplers for the lock/unlock buttons of one of my fobs :slightly_smiling_face:

I already have some code I could use frome my diy amo locker lock, but I’ll probably need coding help if I’m going to tweak it much :rofl: