Should I make more xGLO

Well, that’s sketchy as fuck: “Product reserved to those who already have one foot in the grave”. That’s bound to attract customers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To be fair, if I were in Amal’s shoes, I wouldn’t make it. At least not under the DT name. Maybe have a spin off that does custom and higher risk work with plenty of disclaimers and the unfortunate involvement of lawyers and the like. The company could buy encapsulation services from DT which would kinda make their startup costs kinda low. :man_shrugging:

There are enough interesting biohacking projects to go around without dabbling into radioactive things. Not to mention, maybe DT doesn’t need to be stretched any thinner. There are a few important products in the pipe that should be brought to market first. I’d concentrate on that myself. Not that it’s any of my business of course…

2 Likes

Don’t do it. I think it is too dangerous.
You have so many perfect RFID Implants and magnets,…

1 Like

Totally that’s why I think it would have to be a total spin off. Probably a one person operation. Just someone to evaluate designs and either a: give a go/no go answer for encapsulation or b: offer paid consulting to bring the product to a state where it can be encapsulated. Robustness, antenna design, etc… Plenty of evaluation to do. I can’t imagine it would be a cheap service. But it could eventually be scaffolded out into a something like a product development track. In a sense, it could be working against DT as it helps bring other potential “competitors” to market on the other hand revenue is still being captured.

But maybe we just need six more Amals. Wasn’t someone going to clone him?

1 Like

My xGLO is my favorite implant thus far.

That said they’re wildly irresponsible and if they make you question things @amal don’t make more. It’s your company and your judgment that matters! If you’re uncomfortable with the risks of liability or the danger to end users, and it seems like you are, that’s reason enough not to make them.

3 Likes

We’ll see if they can stop me :wink: I’m not doing anything wrong and it’s for business not just personal interest

So to see if it’s ethical, people e.g. over at biohack.me have created a code of ethics.

https://www.humanaug.org/code-of-ethics

I think the xGLO is perfectly ethical.

I mostly fear the extreme backlash from others and possible legal trouble. It can’t be good. Then, grinding in general isn’t really acceptable yet, maybe such an extreme thing will be good PR?

What about a 1 time thing? Crowdfunded, maybe with a list for people that need to save up.

Everyone that wants one gets one, happy community, then it’s a thing of the past and we wait for batteries.

2 Likes

I understand the “let us make our own decisions” argument, but like others already pointed out, adults tend not to make the best decisions lol. If I were Amal and my options were upsetting a few people, or putting myself and my business at risk, I’d definitely choose the former. The xGLO looked cool for sure, but not cool enough to risk a lawsuit.

Only until a year from now when new members show up and realize they missed out.

That’s exactly what’s happening right now. New people, and members who missed out while the xGLO was available, are wanting another run of implants. This same discussion is gonna happen again in a year or two if Amal does this as a one-time thing. (Unless of course there’s a better alternative by then)

1 Like

solid state batteries are market ready SOON™

3 Likes

I’m not saying that there is anything wrong, but that the fact that you need a radioisotope licence puts it out of the reach of “just anybody”.

As I have said I used to work in the Health Physics department of a Nuclear Physics Lab. I know the sorts of regulatory hoops we had to deal with.

This thread is really making me want a X series filled with glow powder… maybe do this first and then circle back to tritium?

Only issue is probably getting your glass guys to tolerate the powder plus laser

1 Like

So, having read through all of this I am left with a couple of observations…

We know that age is not a sign of wisdom, maturity or intelligence, so an age limit is effectively just a legal barrier.

US Regulations on Tritium are such that if DT sells tritium vials for “frivolous purposes” they might be in legal jeopardy.

The half life of Tritium is short enough that people could well outlive the life of their glowy thing.

Personally I would err on the side of caution and not make them, but then I don’t want to see DT go under.

I would love to see such a thing with a UV RFID LED for “charging”. Like a longer lasting xfield detector.

2 Likes

A uv led wouldn’t be bad, but I’d be just fine with straight powder… super simple and a regular flashlight will charge it

1 Like

At the end of the day, the website is called dangerous things. I would just advise they be sold in a mini vial with chlorhexidine, vs easy self install of a syringe. (Except mine please)

It really comes down to one thing, Does Amal want to do this?

It would behoove @amal to speak with a lawyer first in my opinion, for theirs. If for nothing else, to draft up a letter to have people get notarized and send back, understanding the danger of it before purchase.

4 Likes

Honestly I know nothing about glow powder or radioactivity, but if a non-radioactive uv-xled with rechargable glow powder was an option, I would want that. Glow powder sounds safer than radioactive gas.

2 Likes

The X-glo in their current format are just too much a dangerous thing. The risk/reward ratio is way off in NOPE land.

Trying to put this in perspective…

Nobody would really support making more M31’s would they? I imagine not, the risk of failure is high, and the results of failure are kinda gnarly.

The idea is good, it just needs a Titan-esque re-imagining.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. This thread has been pretty helpful… so for now I will put off xGLO and when the time comes, explore glow powder options.

16 Likes