So I bought an RFID door lock and it doesn't seem to be working

Yeah that’s why I didn’t even bother to start with asking what the diagnostic card shows. As it works with the fob and the info says 125kHz…

after @NiamhAstra suggestion above, Next can you Blue Cloner read a fob

I just tested reading a key fob with a blue cloner and it would not read

I am out of replies for the next 24 hours because I’m a new user if you could send me an address I’d be more than willing to mail off a key fob for you to check out with the proxmark I will still be reading your replies though and if you’d like to talk to me you can via Discord or if the forums has private messaging that could work to

Just different ways of getting to the same result.
I find the Diagnostic card helpful to find antennas and the brighter it lights the better place to start using xFD for orientation, BUT that’s just how I do it…

1 Like

I’m half asleep so I’ll have to abandoned you fine people.

Night night

2 Likes

It could be not EM or HID, also it could be propriety.
Very strange
Diagnostic card doesn’t light up
xFD doesn’t light up
But the Fob does operate the lock… :thinking:

Can you place the Diagnostic card over the panel and then swipe your Fob ontop / through it

Does the Diagnostic card light up then???

And according to the Amazon reviews the spare tags work with a completely different systems, some VoIP door intercom system.

1 Like

Sorry, I just saw this
SO I will send you a DM and see if you can reply
Proxmark wise I am happy to do this, but there will be somebody closer ( faster ) you can send to, let me see who I can suggest.
DM inbound

I’m 98% sure I’ve seen at least one LF product that works with my xEM but does not light up the diagnostic card. I’m too lazy to go test it again. It does light the FD though. but combine those two facts with the possibility the FD can’t wake it, then you’ll get the results you are seeing.

I would place the FD in the most likely spot for a good read (perpendicular to the antenna), and then hit it with the working keyfob. Try different positions of the FD to see if you can get it to light while using the working keyfob. You are trying too many things at once. Start with a known good scenario, then change one thing at a time otherwise you’ll go around in circles.

2 Likes

These are the types of positions and orientations I would try. Remember it is VERY sensitive to position and orientation. you have to assume the antenna is circular or square and in the center somewhere. You always want the FD across (perpendicular) to the antenna path.

1 Like

Most likely, the lock emits weak ping pulses and only goes to full power when it senses something modifying the impedance of its coil in the vicinity significantly enough - and an implant isn’t enough of a disturbance to wake it up.

I’ve tried many such locks and that’s exactly what you (don’t) see: the diagnostic card probably does light up when the lock emits ping pulses, but so briefly and so weakly that it’s almost impossible to see. And if the diagnostic card’s load isn’t detected, the lock doesn’t go to full power and you never have a chance to see it work.

Battery-powered devices work like that to save battery power: instead of pinging at full power all the time, they only ping at low power and fully wake up only when they absolutely have to. Those who have followed my ongoing quest to find such devices that work with implants know there aren’t very many that do. Looks like the OP’s purchase is yet another writeoff…

One sure way of confirming this is to stick the diagnostic card on or very near the lock’s coil, then a working tag on the coil: when the tag triggers the lock into reading at full power, you’ll see it bright and clear on the diagnostic card.

Here’s a video showing what I’m talking about, with a Yale Doorman lock that does trigger with an implant, but just barely. Look at the diagnostic card when I my hand isn’t near the lock: you can’t see the pings, yet they happen:

4 Likes

As a new user he ran out of replies, so some of his answers are offline.
He tried this technique with no success.
I also got him to try a new diagnostic card incase the other one was dead.
That also didn’t work.

So to update this thread
He has just sent a blank fob and an enrolled fob to @NiamhAstra to use a Proxmark with.

So we will hopefully get an some more info within a couple of days.

3 Likes

Interesting… I’m curious to know what Leumas95 comes up with. The mystery deepens :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Heyyyy I can finally help someone after months of just silently reading tons of things on the forums here AND I’m late to the party. I am near enough to Tulsa to physically help, and have a proxmark3 rdv 2.0. I am still way low on the learning curve with the thing and have plans to make a custom LF antenna like Compgeek has done in another thread, but that’s for another day. So if you GrandpaMumbo would like I could probably get a dump and/or analyze one of your door tags today and you can work from there. I’m not yet comfortable writing to my NExT EM side with the factory antenna (done it once but man I felt sketchy doing it with the terrible coupling). Once I build a proper cylindrical antenna it will probably be a different story.

3 Likes

Can confirm, works just fine, but man does it get the heart pumping! Once you build a custom one it changes the game!

I actually bought all the things to make my own and did some uneducated attempts at it months ago but it got put on the back burner because I needed to focus on my Calculus and C programming for school, but today is the last day of that for a while so hopefully this weekend maybe. It’s comforting to know I was on the right track with my purchases though, because I have the same components you had except no LCR meter. Just going to kinda tinker in the same path you did, build until I get the right frequency then play with resistance until the voltage comes down, then 3d print a snazzy case for it, and maybe pot it at work with some PU like the xAC antenna. Once I’ve kind of got a method to my madness, custom antennas for all the things(motorcycles included).

4 Likes

I will leave the finer details for GrandpaMumbo to share, but we got a successful read on my proxmark3 rdv2 with one of his fobs and it looks like an EM410x tag. I gave him an image of the read from it so he can share if so inclined. If I am not mistaken, he should not share the UID or the tag ID in public, anything else not to share? Also, an xEM or NExT should work with that lock he has if setup/used properly. Please correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

1 Like

I started this thread a bit ago.

1 Like

21f51f9518118bc7d305e5da405c0da3ab690b9c~3

This is what came back from the proxmark reading that we got earlier today I don’t fully understand it hopefully one of you do and I really do appreciate you guys helping me out

And in the event that I forgot to blur anything out and someone thinks that it would be a good idea to break into my house that lock is on an interior door in the house so if you managed to get your way through the front door and then through my room door you will be met with a gun because I’m not too friendly with people who break into my house

2 Likes